covid 19 and exspansion

They say life after covid 19 will not be the same . Air travel could be a massive problem , prices could go through the roof and who knows what kind of restrictions will be in place . Has the RL  made any plans for this it could be the end of Toronto , Catalan and Toulouse .   

Chief Crazy Eagle

Here is what my crystal ball is telling me. SL to resume but behind closed doors, and not to include TW or Cats. 6 games will be played over sat and Sunday at 2 venues all live on Sky. Bradford and Leigh have been asked to fill in, and will be included in a 14 team 2021 SL from which 1 will be relegated

We have to reconsider many aspects of life, including how sports competitions could continue. I think most would agree that we aren't going back to how things were.

Catalans, although not without it's problems is much less so than TWP.

I don't want to see any team relegated during this period of uncertainty. I think it would be best to stay with the status quo until we can be sure that any fair competition becomes viable.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I’m not buying all the greenie stuff about humanity giving up on flying in the Covid world. Families will still spend a week by the pool in Benidorm and 18 year olds will still get fingered in Magaluf bars.

That said, it does call into question things like the Toronto deal with Air Transat. Is that (and any similar arrangement for New York) still going to be viable? 

43 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Here is what my crystal ball is telling me. SL to resume but behind closed doors, and not to include TW or Cats. 6 games will be played over sat and Sunday at 2 venues all live on Sky. Bradford and Leigh have been asked to fill in, and will be included in a 14 team 2021 SL from which 1 will be relegated

Bradford!!!!

1 hour ago, superten said:

They say life after covid 19 will not be the same . Air travel could be a massive problem , prices could go through the roof and who knows what kind of restrictions will be in place . Has the RL  made any plans for this it could be the end of Toronto , Catalan and Toulouse .   

It is difficult to see how they can take part if this season restarts, though my personal opinion is we won't see any RL this year. If any form of normality comes back and next season takes place, hopefully they can take their places in their respective League.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The converse is that airlines are going to be desperate to fly and getting people travelling is going to be pretty high up their agenda.

Lovely ideas but will airlines want to fly rugby league teams for nowt when profits are plummeting? Seems less likely than before Covid. 

I doubt holiday prices will go thru the roof,last thing on my mind is a week in lanzagrotti.when we do come out a this there will be a lot a catching up to do before were sat at side a pools, i really hope am wrong but we have a hell of a lot more to come with all this,far too many things dont make sense to me, and i spent a lot of hours in 2 hospitals from oct last year thru to jan of this year to think its far from over. packed stadiums are a thing a the past.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Lovely ideas but will airlines want to fly rugby league teams for nowt when profits are plummeting? Seems less likely than before Covid. 

When have airlines done anything for nowt? that might be a game changer.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

4 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

It is difficult to see how they can take part if this season restarts, though my personal opinion is we won't see any RL this year. If any form of normality comes back and next season takes place, hopefully they can take their places in their respective League.

Toronto shouldn't be a problem as they're all here anyway, but Cats and Toulouse have got a big problem. I can maybe see the former relocating to the UK for a bit but struggle to see the latter. But then my bet still is that nothing below Superleague gets played in 2020 anyway. 

Dragons Catalans are here to stay, they are 20 years old, they've won the Challenge Cup and have what, 15 straight seasons in SL under their belt? With or without a French TV Deal it matters not because everyone likes a long weekend on the Med. 

As for TWP, TO & Ottawa Aces, things are looking a bit ropey to say the least. 

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The social distancing of 2m will remain in place for the next 6 months at least. 
Certainly the last restriction to be relaxed.

Businesses  currently running online services and attempting to create 2m distancing in warehouses and logistics.

What gives the sport a head start over the economy of any Country?

Top tier professional sport IS part of the economy of a country - lots of jobs depend on it. So it looks like the government wants to find a way to get that going, through testing, "biosecure" venues behind closed doors or what have you. But only the prem, RU premiership and Superleague will get the nod, as they have vast TV deals to satisfy which fund the sports. Below those levels, I'm not sure we'll see much other sport played. 

I cannot see matches in front of (substantial) live audiences before the mid/end of the 2021 season.

I cannot see normal travel for almost all occurring until the mid/end of the 2021 season.

I.e. when there is a vaccine.

Money talks. I think we'll have crowds to some degree by August, assuming we don't see a second spike of covid cases. I think there will come a time soon enough when the government will put the economy ahead of the lives of many.

Think both Catalans and Toronto will play their part in what's left of SL 2020. 

I for one am quite happy about the lack of air travel, and hope the airlines can look upon this as an opportunity for positive change, though I doubt it. Again, money is king.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

23 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The economy hasn’t taken a back seat from the onset. I can personally vouch for that. 
The economy will be foremost before a ball is played. That in itself won’t happen overnight.

How you create social distancing on an aircraft and make a profit will be interesting.

Yeah, there is no way that we'll be flying all over the place until they can pack planes to the rafters again, unless you want to pay £1200 for a single to Perpignan.

*If* an effective bubble can be found then private charters could be a pricy option. But only between the UK and France.

I don’t think there will be any more rugby league this year.

Others have explained the reasons as to why so I will not duplicate what they have said.

I think as such the Status Quo should remain as it is and let’s hope and pray all the clubs remain intact and that we don’t lose any. And as such there should be no relegation or promotion this year.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I don’t think there will be any more rugby league this year.

Others have explained the reasons as to why so I will not duplicate what they have said.

I think as such the Status Quo should remain as it is and let’s hope and pray all the clubs remain intact and that we don’t lose any. And as such there should be no relegation or promotion this year.

Things are bad enough without Status Quo striking up again!

13 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Top tier professional sport IS part of the economy of a country - lots of jobs depend on it. So it looks like the government wants to find a way to get that going, through testing, "biosecure" venues behind closed doors or what have you. But only the prem, RU premiership and Superleague will get the nod, as they have vast TV deals to satisfy which fund the sports. Below those levels, I'm not sure we'll see much other sport played. 

Some sport in France from Monday it seems...and in the middle of a "Red Zone" too. With government and police approval.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/coronavirus/french-racing-edges-closer-to-return-as-paris-police-permit-restart-next-monday/433034

Once the dam cracks in the UK, sports will flood through in some probably unfamiliar forms.

19 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The.cost of flying is negligible. What airlines want and want tourist areas want is volume

What is negligible x 13 + ?

Does that work the same way as zero x 13 + ?

And, are we certain that decent numbers of people are going to want to undertake long trans-Atlantic plane journeys for leisure purposes, in the post Covid, risk averse, world we are creating?

21 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

What is negligible x 13 + ?

Does that work the same way as zero x 13 + ?

And, are we certain that decent numbers of people are going to want to undertake long trans-Atlantic plane journeys for leisure purposes, in the post Covid, risk averse, world we are creating?

The Toronto model is - in part - based on a thousand or two SL fans making the trip to Lamport each week, boosting sponsorship and travel partner valuations. 

That's gotta be hit, at least in the short term. Argyle can ride any of this out if he chooses, and I think it's too early to pull the plug now becasue so much is still unknown. 

But if you wanted to design a scenario that hurt the Wolfpack model, you'd struggle to come up with something more harmful than what's actually happenned. 

Archived