Challenge Cup Classics back on BBC One this Sunday

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first one was an excellent show. Looking forward to this one too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is a good link to semi final tries.

I was there for 2 of the games supporting Widnes v Halifax and Featherstone v Leeds.

My favourite on tv was the Eric Hughes try for Widnes v Leeds right at the end of the match.

The Martin Offiah try was good also.

Would like to see some other games from earlier rounds, too. The Hull KR v Warrington one were it ended something mad like 42-38 from 2006 comes to mind straight away and I seem to remember Salford losing at Leigh in poor conditions in the early 2000’s. 

22 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I seem to remember Salford losing at Leigh in poor conditions in the early 2000’s. 

First of all boooooo! then no I don't want to see that again for far more reasons than the loss, and t hardly fits the classic profile.

16 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

The BBC will air a second episode of Challenge Cup Classics this weekend. Following a well-received show last month, it has been confirmed that BBC...

View the full article

Great news. And one of my favourites too!

The Beeb have to be reminded that TGG on the Telly is a winner.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

52 minutes ago, Oxford said:

First of all boooooo! then no I don't want to see that again for far more reasons than the loss, and t hardly fits the classic profile.

Great news. And one of my favourites too!

The Beeb have to be reminded that TGG on the Telly is a winner.

This would have been quarter-finals weekend, so I suppose the BBC are trying to give fans of various sports a fix of whatever was supposed to be broadcast live on a given date.

So does this mean there are two more Challenge Cup Classics programmes in the pipeline for June and July? I hope so.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This would have been quarter-finals weekend, so I suppose the BBC are trying to give fans of various sports a fix of whatever was supposed to be broadcast live on a given date.

So does this mean there are two more Challenge Cup Classics programmes in the pipeline for June and July? I hope so.

Yes but I'm hoping for more considering the TV audience our sport involves and provides.

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Yes but I'm hoping for more considering the TV audience our sport involves and provides.

The BBC's Summer sports schedules are busy in non-crisis times. I suspect there'll be plenty of Tennis next month, for instance, and Olympics later in the season. It looks like they are filling the gaps where people expect to see familiar events.

Not just sport, but music (Proms, Glastonbury etc.). Making things as near normal as can be realistically expected.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Making things as near normal as can be realistically expected.

Aunty showing TGG repeats is nothing like normal or even as nearly as possible !?

On 06/05/2020 at 02:05, Niels said:

My favourite on tv was the Eric Hughes try for Widnes v Leeds right at the end of the match.

I was travelling back to Plymouth after the GB/Australia WC Final at Wembley - and some very drunk RU fan spent about an hour of the journey telling me that that try was his favourite sporting moment of all time. I got the impression that he really wasn't very keen on teams from Leeds in any sport.

7 hours ago, JonM said:

I was travelling back to Plymouth after the GB/Australia WC Final at Wembley - and some very drunk RU fan spent about an hour of the journey telling me that that try was his favourite sporting moment of all time. I got the impression that he really wasn't very keen on teams from Leeds in any sport.

I understand how he felt. I think it it is still in my top 5 after all these years. 

At the time I was a child and it meant an awful lot to me. I liked Widnes and Leeds were my least favourite team. It looked like Widnes were going to lose until the ball hit the bar and Hughes dived over. It being the last second just made it even more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, superten said:

I think the BBC should do a show called Rugby league rewind . Programme based on rugby league highlights of a certain year mixed in with news and music from the same year . 

They've been playing the number 1 song in the last programme

Chappers' mock-apologetic intro to Sheffield v Wigan. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

That Halifax/Saints game was a great one - even when you know what's going to happen, it's still good to watch.

The picture quality was better than the more recent final that's on now too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is some difference in quality between the 2 years in watching the Wigan team from the 1998 Challenge Cup Final and the one from 1996 and the Cross Code Challenge matches.

The Halifax/Saints final looked like it was filmed, while the next two look like VHS recordings. Which is quite possibly what may have happened.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived