Challenge Cup Classics back on BBC One this Sunday

A touching tribute, right at the end.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Heart still thumping watching our win over Leeds, what an atmosphere there was that day! 

Heart is still in my mouth when Leeds set for the drop goal. What a fantastic day it was.

Enjoyed seeing all the games again. Well done the beeb.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Two points from this

Referees were always more of an authority figure in black than in todays multicolured kit.- Bring back the black..

Bring back the fans flat cap. I would definately buy one and irts a lot better than the sale of plastic horns - Particularily if at a major event you get Captain Hornblower near where you are seated ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Two points from this

Referees were always more of an authority figure in black than in todays multicolured kit.- Bring back the black..

Bring back the fans flat cap. I would definately buy one and irts a lot better than the sale of plastic horns - Particularily if at a major event you get Captain Hornblower near where you are seated ?

I haven’t heard a fan with a horn at a cup final for years. They seemed to be everywhere when we played the Final in Cardiff, not any more. 

Great memories.

Celebrations on the Saturday night were a bit limited as we were in a hotel out at Heathrow.

However when we got back to Halifax on the Sunday it was mind blowing.Estimates that 70,000 lined the streets for the victory tour,was followed by numerous drinks including one out of the Challenge Cup itself sat next to Graham Eadie in the Plummet Line.

36 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

My only criticism is that I’d love to watch the full games of the games they show. 

I had completely forgotten about the penalty try in 2005. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good programme. Very enjoyable. Makes me feel old! 

However... 

In commentary a couple of times Kear said "great Rugby League try"... What? As opposed to a "great cricket try" or "great ice hockey try" or "great rugby union try"? 

Okay, the last is stretching credibility... 

It's a game of RL, so what other kind of try would be? 

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

In commentary a couple of times Kear said "great Rugby League try"... What? As opposed to a "great cricket try" or "great ice hockey try" or "great rugby union try"?

I know what you mean, but commentators in all sports do that sometimes.

"Great golf shot" perhaps being one of the most common examples.

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I know what you mean, but commentators in all sports do that sometimes.

"Great golf shot" perhaps being one of the most common examples.

Yes, plus Kear was pretty much learning the punditry job as he went along. His early BBC appearances were a bit taciturn, but he got better as the years went by. Clare Balding was instrumental in drawing him out of his shell a bit. The same goes with Brian Noble.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I haven’t heard a fan with a horn at a cup final for years. They seemed to be everywhere when we played the Final in Cardiff, not any more. 

Wembley security take them off you.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

As Hilfax were on..

In 1938 - the last time Salford won the cup - Halifax drew, then won the first THREE rounds, and lost in the Semi 4-2. That is 7 cup games.

In Widnes win over Hull KR in 1964, they had two first round replays (against Leigh, first two games being 2-2 and 11-11),  two third round replays against Swinton (5-5 and 0-0) and a semi-final replay against Castleford (7-7 in the first game) making a total of 10 cup games. Some of the games were played 2 days apart.

It was nice to be taken back to my youth with FEV in 73 and see some of the FEV lads who are no longer with us watching pauls dad scoring two and cyril kicking 8 out of 8 interesting to remember  cyril's straight on kicking style  no round the corner for him which brought him a career  total of 1749

19 hours ago, JonM said:

That Halifax/Saints game was a great one - even when you know what's going to happen, it's still good to watch.

Agree, I actually think it was better then the 1985 game.

Archived