Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On a bit of a nostalgia trip thinking about the challenge cup final weekend's. That really was magic !!!!. All the way from 1980  till the first time it was played at Cardiff my club ran a weekend trip to the final. Then we decided Cardiff wasn't for us so we ventured abroad for the sun and to watch the final. Unfortunately we have never returned.  The craic and meeting up with all the clubs from all the rugby community was fantastic.  The same faces the same songs and friendships that still remain today.  It is a little ironic that we now see the same clubs enjoying the final in benidorm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for weekend or day from 1973 to 1989  but got sick of seeing Wigan, nice to watch it at home or if away on holiday but nowt beats being there. Only been twice since 1989 just grew out of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Went for weekend or day from 1973 to 1989  but got sick of seeing Wigan, nice to watch it at home or if away on holiday but nowt beats being there. Only been twice since 1989 just grew out of it. 

You got sick of seeing Wigan after they went two years in a row? Wigan were in the final 4 times in that period (your team Fev were in it 3 times so 4 wouldn't seem excessive).We did make the next 6 finals as well but you couldn't have known that in 1989. Surely the point to have got sick of seeing a team would have been 1984 when Widnes were there for the 7th time in 10 years?

I remember being surprised the first time I went to a cup final as a kid at all the fans of many different clubs that were there even though their teams had no real hope of getting to Wembley. It's a shame that doesn't happen to the same extent any more.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was never reallythe same once the old Wembley closed. Wonder if some of the pubs around Easton station are stil around ?  Cock tavern and summers coffee house spring to mind. Friday from 10 am was a superb start to the weekend of rugby , boozing and singing real happy days !!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, chisholm said:

Was never reallythe same once the old Wembley closed.

Yeah that's true. I've always thought that the break during the Wembley rebuild is what caused the decline in the Challenge Cup. All the old habits and trips stopped and many never started again. The old stadium was a dump and inferior in every way, on paper, to the new Wembley but it had a certain magic and atmosphere that the new Wembley will never have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chisholm said:

On a bit of a nostalgia trip thinking about the challenge cup final weekend's. That really was magic !!!!. All the way from 1980  till the first time it was played at Cardiff my club ran a weekend trip to the final. Then we decided Cardiff wasn't for us so we ventured abroad for the sun and to watch the final. Unfortunately we have never returned.  The craic and meeting up with all the clubs from all the rugby community was fantastic.  The same faces the same songs and friendships that still remain today.  It is a little ironic that we now see the same clubs enjoying the final in benidorm. 

A shame as for me Cardiff was probably the best place to hold it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wiganermike said:

You got sick of seeing Wigan after they went two years in a row? Wigan were in the final 4 times in that period (your team Fev were in it 3 times so 4 wouldn't seem excessive).We did make the next 6 finals as well but you couldn't have known that in 1989. Surely the point to have got sick of seeing a team would have been 1984 when Widnes were there for the 7th time in 10 years?

I remember being surprised the first time I went to a cup final as a kid at all the fans of many different clubs that were there even though their teams had no real hope of getting to Wembley. It's a shame that doesn't happen to the same extent any more.

Memories not what it was lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah that's true. I've always thought that the break during the Wembley rebuild is what caused the decline in the Challenge Cup. All the old habits and trips stopped and many never started again. The old stadium was a dump and inferior in every way, on paper, to the new Wembley but it had a certain magic and atmosphere that the new Wembley will never have.

Out trip have travelled to the Final for many years. At one time we had four Coahes full, but that has dwindled to ten of us going on the Train. You still see fans from throughout the game, but nowhere near as many as there used to be. I agree about the switch back to London just doesn't seem to be the attraction it was. I think part of it is a generation thing, the idea of a weekend Wembley trip isn't a tradition like it used to be. Also as the game has evolved, the Clubs don't have the same attitude towards the Cup and so the fans don't either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...