Growing up "back in the day"

My school mate just posted this photo on Twitter. It was probably taken in the early 80's. I can remember doing things like this (however, from a lower window ?) as a kid but couldn't imagine, as a parent, letting my son do it.

What did you do as a kid that you thought was just harmless fun but, as an adult, if you saw kids doing it nowadays... 

...well, b****y hooligans. ?

_20200506_153518.JPG

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving home at 9 in the morning in the summer holidays with a marmite sandwich and 1d for a drink or sweets and going with my mate to the woods on our bikes.  Setting up a camp for the day and not going back home till tea time.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My school mate just posted this photo on Twitter. It was probably taken in the early 80's. I can remember doing things like this (however, from a lower window ?) as a kid but couldn't imagine, as a parent, letting my son do it.

What did you do as a kid that you thought was just harmless fun but, as an adult, if you saw kids doing it nowadays... 

...well, b****y hooligans. ?

_20200506_153518.JPG

Several things the kids in the photo were the balloons who didn't even put the matresses under the indow they were jumping from.

Play is the neglected, changed and hindered experience of children these days and things like that and coming home when it got dark or because you got hungry were part of that.

Fear from newspapers has changed our outlook and our childrens'abilities to learn the most important skills of all.

"Play is the only way the highest intelligence of humankind can unfold."  Joseph Chilton Pearce

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The further things go back in time, the more legendary they seem.

I am aware that if a teenager starts to tell me about how hard the mean streets are, I remind them I was brought up in 1980s England and it shuts them up smart. But, it was actually quite nice.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

25 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Play is the neglected, changed and hindered experience of children these days and things like that and coming home when it got dark or because you got hungry were part of that.

Fear from newspapers has changed our outlook and our childrens'abilities to learn the most important skills of all.

"Play is the only way the highest intelligence of humankind can unfold."  Joseph Chilton Pearce

Wow! A post by O****d (it's a Swindon thing) that I agree with. ? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Ah the good old days of playing on building sites. Was once being chased by the security/cops when I ducked into one of the partially built houses and ran into the sheets of window glass that were neatly stacked around a corner.

How I didn't take my legs off at the knees I'll never know?

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

ME  and a couple of mates used to go down to horbury bridge main rail depot when we were about 8, hide in bushs and wait for a slow goods train with no bloke in guards van at back a train, jump on one we picked out and just go for the ride, pot bellied stove,coffee/sugar, sometimes even cornflakes and pasties, Got some real boll****= when my dad had to come all way to were ever train stopped, doncaster or rotherham were the norm,but time or two we ended up around crewe.

23 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The further things go back in time, the more legendary they seem.

I am aware that if a teenager starts to tell me about how hard the mean streets are, I remind them I was brought up in 1980s England and it shuts them up smart. But, it was actually quite nice.

I used to be able to do an equivalent to that as all the people I met at uni were southerners.

So they thought I was well hard just because I was from "the north" and they'd all heard terrible things about such a place.

I think it did genuinely baffle some of them that I could write.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Them old pram made soapboxs were fast mi grandad made, no brakes and living at crow nest park gateway we had one hell of an hill to go down. them were the days, pocket full a sugar and a wander round allotments for a massive stick a rhubarb to dip in yer pocket with all fluff amongst sugar, go home in dark about 11ish with belly ache, 60s were ace to be a kid,no snowflakes telling us what we cant do..:kolobok_wild:

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I used to be able to do an equivalent to that as all the people I met at uni were southerners.

So they thought I was well hard just because I was from "the north" and they'd all heard terrible things about such a place.

I think it did genuinely baffle some of them that I could write.

My mate referred to the estate he grew up on. It was actually a Barrett estate on the Wirral, but people heard a Scouse accent.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Taking pop bottles back to mucky maggies shop for tanners, but they were her bottles anyway we nicked from back yard climbing over wall...:kolobok_popcorm1: bag a chips from moxons cooked in real fat with pickled onion vinigar..

When we moved from SE London to Bucks my youngest was 12.  He couldn't believe the lack of burnt out cars and said "but where do the kids go when it rains?" ?

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

"Playing" a bizarre game called Chicken.

Two lads would face each other, standing upright but with legs spread wide, with a smallish gap between participants. Shoes had to be worn! This game took place on grass.....

One lad would pick up a knife (yes) and throw it forcefully downwards to land somewhere in the middle of the gap between the others feet. The non thrower would then close his gap by replacing one foot onto the new point where the knife stood, therefore reducing the space between his feet by half. He then pulled the knife out of the ground and it was his turn to throw the damn thing in the opponents gap.

And on it went, soon the feet were ridiculously close together, and the juvenile participants aiming to land the blade in an unfeasibly small space. Either you then chickened out and lost the game, or got the knife thrown at your foot and hit it. Totally unhinged "game" which should have resulted in serious injury but never did! It relied on a crazed belief that the opponent would actually not try and throw the knife deliberately at your foot.

This game was sometimes played with a cricket stump!!

Insanity.

51 minutes ago, silverback said:

Taking pop bottles back to mucky maggies shop for tanners, but they were her bottles anyway we nicked from back yard climbing over wall...:kolobok_popcorm1: bag a chips from moxons cooked in real fat with pickled onion vinigar..

Ha! I used to do the same, but bring them to a rival corner shop over the road.

Happy days!

was trying to explain to someone under 30 that the "American" style of over parenting didn't exist until at least the very late 80s- being told your great and good at everything with a big dollop of sickly sentiment wasn't how I was brought up- good old knock em down make em stronger mentality for me 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived