Growing up "back in the day"

having a kids savings book where you could bank a pound a week either through school or hop on your bike in to town - go to an actual bank- see an actual human being - give them a pound- it takes at least half an hour of security questions to find out a balance these days

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miners used big wide shovels for shovelling coal onto a conveyor belt. Many families had such a shovel that had found its way to their home. Some kids could perch on one to slide down ice-bound roads.

I could never manage it myself.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Oooo slides on school field.... we started as soon as we got off the bus at the top of the fields. Within ten mins there'd be 50m polished ice wi kids flying down the slope.....

Nowadays it wouldn't be allowed.... it'd be banned and salted in no time

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Oooo slides on school field.... we started as soon as we got off the bus at the top of the fields. Within ten mins there'd be 50m polished ice wi kids flying down the slope.....

Nowadays it wouldn't be allowed.... it'd be banned and salted in no time

No if it snows , schools shut 

Did plenty of this stuff and others , they don't know they've lived now ?

I was going to say Spending the day swimming in Billinge quarry and even jumping off the high point into it. Then I remembered there was a board in the park with chains in each corner so it wobbled about when you got on it. I think it injured every kid who went near it. 

1 hour ago, silverback said:

Them old pram made soapboxs were fast mi grandad made, no brakes and living at crow nest park gateway we had one hell of an hill to go down. them were the days, pocket full a sugar and a wander round allotments for a massive stick a rhubarb to dip in yer pocket with all fluff amongst sugar, go home in dark about 11ish with belly ache, 60s were ace to be a kid,no snowflakes telling us what we cant do..:kolobok_wild:

I'd argue that the main path down through Batley park was a better ride.If we couldn't get a soapbox,a piece of wood on a roller skate was almost as good.

Must admit I probably wouldn't of had the guts for the train ride.

You used to be able to cross M/cr ship canal to Trafford Park using Mode Wheel locks, but we used to do a left turn and follow the rail line onto the Docks themselves, talking to the sailors, and getting bottles of vodka from Russian sailors who missed their kids at home, especially during the winter when they couldnt get back home because the home ports were frozen.

having respect for proper policemen and teachers in the day they when they actually deserved some- not like today when it looks likes they will take anyone that has a failed an interview at mcdonalds 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

having respect for proper policemen and teachers in the day they when they actually deserved some- not like today when it looks likes they will take anyone that has a failed an interview at mcdonalds 

Getting belted by your teacher and NOT telling your dad.

Playing bobs on on the main road. Only the undertaker and the doctor had a car. Playing hand ball on the side of Goods  fish shop on Station Lane, Making trolleys from old pram wheels,  Hole made with a red hot poker. Playing dufftins across river banks and climbing trees. Making a den of bits of bushes and eating a carrot from the farmers field after scratching it with and old penny, Played Spit Out, the den being the midden wall, also Kick Out Can. We used to run from one end of the street to the other. Whoever was last had to get in the midden for a can. Whip and top, the best colours at the top of the top won  as they spun round. Getting the stick at school for next to nought. Playing with the girls at The Farmer wants a Wife, Run  Across, Higher and Higher, In and Out the Windows, Will You Surrender the Gates of Arami. Made our own paper boats and put candle fat on the bottom and sailed them in Featherstone Mill Pond after we had caught tiddlers. Made our own kites from two sticks and a newspaper and flew them from Featherstone stacks. We weren't allowed to play with the kids at Featherstone Square unless we came down the big stack on a bit of bratashing.  I could go on all night. Most frightened listening on the radio to An |Appointment With Fear. Valentine Dyall. In the house on my own boy I was scared as my imagination run riot. After school a slice of bread and dripping and over the fields and far away. We used to walk to East Hardwick over the fields, where the farmer gave us his bruised apples. Back home we stopped at Johnsons on Station Lane and she gave us here broken biscuits. At night we would bob into Louey Hails for some chips. During the war we used the aircraft shelters as castles as we played soldiers.. One of my favourite games was podge which was played with marbles. Lots of our play areas have now been built on. 

riding on the back of an open back pick up truck wasn't seen as unusual  - sat down of course with your back to the cab- nothing dangerous

56 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I'd argue that the main path down through Batley park was a better ride.If we couldn't get a soapbox,a piece of wood on a roller skate was almost as good.

Must admit I probably wouldn't of had the guts for the train ride.

it were an adventure, and if you couldent make the bend by duckpond coming down crow nest park you were wet when you got home,,i had some lashings with dog lead for sure,

tell you a good un for us, back a nash up westown they stacked all empty beer barrels back a car park, if you got a decent bit a wood/stick and someone pressed centre in while you had yer gob nearby you got the dregs out a barrel,sure tasted mighty fine when you were a nipper, went home stinking like barmaids pinny.:kolobok_popcorm1:

them lashings made a man a me,lol.  6 a best every day almost,ticker toulsens strap folded over 4 times you got  4 for 1 lashings in maths class.smiffy in art were a great shot with that black board rubber out wooden doofa and it left a big lump on top a yer head for sure, its what there short on nowadays a bit a cane/starp and some murder ball in mud,

Passed my 11 plus to go to High School. I can still remember running around shops with my mother trying to get a school uniform with a Provident cheque. The collector of your debt used to visit weekly on a push bike. I think it was Mrs Childs, George Child's mother.  A patch or a hole in your trousers in those days was embarrassing, now it is the vogue. 

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

riding on the back of an open back pick up truck wasn't seen as unusual  - sat down of course with your back to the cab- nothing dangerous

Gleaning peas?

embarrasing were having edgikeks(3 pairs a cordroys shorts,green brown and red) plastic sandals,and a big duffle coat that would fit mi mam, but times were hard, we used to play for hours in air raid shelters and they went under ground for miles some of em, bigger lads would put lids back on we spent hours trapped in em, we had a swing that hung outa a big warehouse window off a crane  jib and if you dident make it all way back it were a trip to calder.. wouldent swop a minute.

1 minute ago, silverback said:

Hiding at back a sette when tupperware man/milkman/telly man/ came wanting paying as mi mam were off to bingo...

You've lived a full and interesting life Silver , I congratulate you ?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Hiding at back o' settee when Dr Who theme tune came on Saturday tea time....?

do you know what, i were fine with dr who ..........until white dalek came out a some ice cave, it talked deeper and scared mi poopless.

Archived