Growing up "back in the day"

who went chumping? and slept in bonfire stack to keep guard all night so nobody nicked yer old doors, thinga the past now chumping as fumes were too strong for snowflakes.:kolobok_punish: they used to have a massive bonfire up park and on a morning of the fire they used to set up a big spit with a full ox on it, it went round all day until about 7 at night and you got a big sarnie for a bob. could you do that today who knows. it had a que all way to bottom of park gates.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Running down 't'bonk and t'buttress to school and then walking up again after. Usually with some spogs to keep us happy. One day hafway up t'buttress getting stopped by some older lads who wanted my Action Man stars. They weren't avin' em, so they kept my mate hostage until they gave up.

Yes, my stars were probably worth more than friendship. And wasn't I reminded of it....

Spogs and spice. My kids love these old words. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

We used to play that too but called it knifey. Also everyone seemed to have some sort of pen knife back then. All innocent and used for making things like dens and bow and arrows from tree branches and string. Nothing like why people have them today!

We used to call it chicken.

11 hours ago, silverback said:

and slept in bonfire stack to keep guard all night so nobody nicked yer old doors, thinga the past now chumping as fumes were too strong for snowflakes.:kolobok_punish: they used to have a massive bonfire up park and on a morning of the fire they used to set up a big spit with a full ox on it, it went round all day until about 7 at night and you got a big sarnie for a bob. could you do that today who knows. it had a que all way to bottom of park gates.

I was just about to say raiding other kids bonfires.

We used to have a massive one that often consisted of wood we'd nicked form other bonfires not mention anything else that folk hadn't secured once we'd start our collecting phase.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

1 minute ago, Vambo said:

I was just about to say raiding other kids bonfires.

We used to have a massive one that often consisted of wood we'd nicked form other bonfires not mention anything else that folk hadn't secured once we'd start our collecting phase.

you wouldent have got owt from ours, we had a den in middle and a look out tower,even table inside to have our pop and sarnies as we were in for the long haul,

plus we had cumming,s brothers to help and theres a lot of em.lol.:kolobok_punish:

On 06/05/2020 at 21:32, Mister Ting said:

Action Man stormtrooper uniform.

I still wear mine to fancy dress parties, especially if I think that Prince Harry might be there!

On 07/05/2020 at 03:18, Damien said:

Chicken for us was an entirely different game involving running across roads as cars came.

There was a pretty good hill by us where we'd combine that with sledging in winter.  ?

Archived