Promotion and relegation

Rarefrith

I see Kear has suggested no relegation but one or two ! clubs being promoted so increasing SL to 14/15 for one season at least.  Funny that - I remember not too long ago when he was coach at Wakey, he was very much against promotion as apparently there weren't any teams outside of SL that could improve it.   

I can't see P&R if I'm honest this season, as I can't see the season being finished. Even if SL could finish the season behind closed doors, will the Championship? We're how many weeks behind now, and when will the season start again?

Clean page on 2021 for all teams, then we go again.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

11 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I see Kear has suggested no relegation but one or two ! clubs being promoted so increasing SL to 14/15 for one season at least.  Funny that - I remember not too long ago when he was coach at Wakey, he was very much against promotion as apparently there weren't any teams outside of SL that could improve it.   

Didn't Daryl Powell have a reverse 'road to Damascus enlightenment' when her went to Cas?

After 5 years of advocating a return to promotion and relegation, he had a spiritual conversion to licencing?

23 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Didn't Daryl Powell have a reverse 'road to Damascus enlightenment' when her went to Cas?

After 5 years of advocating a return to promotion and relegation, he had a spiritual conversion to licencing?

And Cas have been saying for years the NEW GROUND is in the pipeline.With the state of retail i can't see a shared development happening in my lifetime.I could go with a 14 team S.L. but the Championship will need more investement to develop players to step up,not less so the S.L teams can  have more money.In the long run the lower divisions give players a chance to improve by actually playing the game.As for playing behind close doors and no promotion we might as well scrap the Season in the Championship and Div 1 it won't do the players any harm to rest their bodies and recharge their batteries.

45 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

If my memory serves me right I recall Powell stating that there was no room in Super League for clubs like FEATHERSTONE. Roll on a couple of seasons and he became our Messiah and all of a sudden Fev deserved a crack at Super League. It could be that when we get rid of this present situation that some top clubs may not be top clubs anymore. These coaches have to go along with the mantra of the club that they are employed with. So in theory I go along with Kear but only if clubs are promoted by on field results.

Lets go back to the old days and have one league. Where the Yorkshire clubs and Lancashire clubs play each other and then a few others from over the borders  Then a top 8 play off. It would save a lot of arguing and messing about. Financial rewards all round with extra for the leaders of the League and winners. Playing it as shown means there won't be too many games in a season Cumberland clubs in the Lancashire set up. If I remember rightly we played 4 Lancashire clubs and the ones we played were in the same region of the league as we were. Ok a lot of people will be against that idea but it would be better than all this arging and barging about promotion and relegation..

19 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Lets go back to the old days and have one league. Where the Yorkshire clubs and Lancashire clubs play each other and then a few others from over the borders  Then a top 8 play off. It would save a lot of arguing and messing about. Financial rewards all round with extra for the leaders of the League and winners. Playing it as shown means there won't be too many games in a season Cumberland clubs in the Lancashire set up. If I remember rightly we played 4 Lancashire clubs and the ones we played were in the same region of the league as we were. Ok a lot of people will be against that idea but it would be better than all this arging and barging about promotion and relegation..

The world has moved on Colin....

Depending on the date of resumption Across all the divisions For me to get the season done just play everyone once then have the subsequent play offs / promotion relegation etc etc 

Suprised this hasnt been suggested by the powers that be to be honest 

5 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Aye Robin and not for the better. We will have nothing but robots the way we are going. No free thinking only what the computer says.

Depends who you ask. Many younger folks love it how it is and would not wish to revert back to either my or your youth colin.... times move on.

I watched the 73 final today. I believe the rugby played then was far superior to todays version. Todays customers of the game may well argue otherwise. Different times col. 

6 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Depending on the date of resumption Across all the divisions For me to get the season done just play everyone once then have the subsequent play offs / promotion relegation etc etc 

Thats a good idea, some rugby and something to play for.

11 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

If its possible I totally agree.  Some may say there will have been advantages here and there depending on who plays who at home or away etc (but it wont be as unfair as playing a summer bash !)

I doubt that there will be any sort of competition but if there is - I would take anything rather than wait another year.  As long as we're all playing off a level pitch. 

I suspect the issues will be SL clubs not agreeing to any shortened season rather than Championship / League 1 clubs

if you scrap promotion, where's the incentive for chairmen to put money into championship clubs, where's the incentive for fans, we've been through licencing once, i dont think we could stand it again.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

I've just read Campbell's comments. Can't argue against any of it and I'm pleased he's vocal in his opposition to Elston's outpourings. Though to be fair, I can't imagine mark being anything else.

Licencing was awful. I really don't want to go down that road again

On 10/05/2020 at 12:48, elppaxr2i said:

This makes sense in Rugby League where we have an unbalanced fixture list and the title or promotion decided by play-offs. In fact if you got rid of Magic Weekend, Summer Bash, and Loop Fixtures, the league placings would be decided by a fairer system. 

You could probably fit this in as late as the autumn and still have time for a break before next season, covid regulations permitting?

A problem for us is that if the season can only be completed behind closed doors we would have to start paying the players in full again (No furlough) with no match day income. It’s not viable at all really. 

12 hours ago, Rarefrith said:

A problem for us is that if the season can only be completed behind closed doors we would have to start paying the players in full again (No furlough) with no match day income. It’s not viable at all really. 

not if we reverted to being an amateur club.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Well said Mr Campbell,  Elstone is a lame duck supremo and his comments about promotion is upsetting not just MC but quite a few others, It is not his decision so he should keep his mind on SL and his mouth shut .  I am surprised he has not opened his mouth about the  division of the £16million

League Express/TotalRL reporting that only 3 of the 14 Championship clubs want to resume whilst the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furloughing) remains active. Those 3 are Leigh, us and presumably London. Difficult to see how we get a resumption in the Championship now, it's not hard to see why so many clubs want to hang on to the furloughing scheme from a financial point of view.

Two working groups have been set up, one "to work out the costs and logistics and another to find a way to offset the costs involved" in trying to continue the season (quote from TotalRL). But even if the logistics issues (testing etc) can be overcome you'd think it will be hard to convince the 11 clubs who don't want to play that they won't be better off from a financial point of view just continuing to take the furloughing money, especially if it's going to mean the difference between surviving and going under.

Hope I'm wrong, but that was my first impression reading that story.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

League Express/TotalRL reporting that only 3 of the 14 Championship clubs want to resume whilst the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furloughing) remains active. Those 3 are Leigh, us and presumably London. Difficult to see how we get a resumption in the Championship now, it's not hard to see why so many clubs want to hang on to the furloughing scheme from a financial point of view.

Two working groups have been set up, one "to work out the costs and logistics and another to find a way to offset the costs involved" in trying to continue the season (quote from TotalRL). But even if the logistics issues (testing etc) can be overcome you'd think it will be hard to convince the 11 clubs who don't want to play that they won't be better off from a financial point of view just continuing to take the furloughing money, especially if it's going to mean the difference between surviving and going under.

For the 10 games Stevenage had remaining before Football's L2 was abandoned, testing alone was going to cost £140k - they also would have had to take players out of furlough and comply with a 47-page health and safety document regarding sterilisation of stadiums etc . It's very difficult to imagine that any attempt to continue the season is going to prove anything other than extremely expensive and cost prohibitive for a sport such as ours.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'd have thought Tolouse would have also wanted to restart, so given Leigh's stance, it may be them rather than London as the 3rd team. Irrespective of that, I'd agree with the rest of your statement, I also can't see the season restarting, especially not with the furlough extention. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived