A 14 team Super League is common sense says Kear

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is, even as a season ticket holder I was pretty blasé about missing the third edition of Trinity vs Huddersfield by July. Same could be said for other fixtures. I know SL clubs are against it due to slicing up the pie but it makes sense in every other aspect. 

It’s not in the slightest. It’s actually far from it, in reality. 

We expanded the play-off’s when we had a fourteen team Super League down to 8th place and people moaned that we were rewarding mediocrity by giving some of these clubs an opportunity to win the competition come September.

If we didn’t have so many teams in the play-off’s and kept it somewhere between 4-6 sides able to compete for the Grand Final, then you’ll almost certainly get a proportion of people saying that the middle clubs have nothing to play for and there’s a load of pointless games for many come June/July time. I’m not sure there’s an incentive you can offer for the teams in the middle part of the table that could make it worth their while and leave them having something to play for, for much of the year. Qualification to a latter stage of the Challenge Cup the following year but that’s not the greatest reward on or off the pitch and wouldn’t exactly be something you could sell to people to try and create a big game atmosphere around 7th v 10th, for example. It’s not like Football or, I assume, Rugby Union, where teams have European places to play for. I’m at a loss how we could do something to incentivise most clubs, year round. 

Do we actually need so many Super League games? Is a twenty-seven game season not too long? Come Easter, with bad luck, bad recruitment, results etc your season could be over. Is that what we really want? 

I’m not sold on it domestically, but is there an argument for a Nines weekend(s)? I love Magic and think it’s a great idea that could be presented far better than it is, but that’s another story, and I’d hate to lose it but a Nines weekend could give clubs a chance of silverware mid-season and potentially a “new” dominant side or two. Or even a Nines League format with a series of rounds throughout the year. 

I am certain that we need fewer Super League games and more International games mid season. Yes, France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Jamaica aren’t exactly tough opposition but it’s better than nothing, IMHO, and better than an Exiles team. We’ve seen with World Cups that International Rugby League is well attended and not just between the big three nations. There’s no reason why a game properly marketed couldn’t attract a good crowd. Much like the NRL, I’d have an International Test weekend (maybe a couple) between England, Scotland, France, Wales, Ireland and Jamaica, whether part of a competition or as one off Tests. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

We expanded the play-off’s when we had a fourteen team Super League down to 8th place and people moaned that we were rewarding mediocrity by giving some of these clubs an opportunity to win the competition come September.

If we didn’t have so many teams in the play-off’s and kept it somewhere between 4-6 sides able to compete for the Grand Final, then you’ll almost certainly get a proportion of people saying that the middle clubs have nothing to play for and there’s a load of pointless games for many come June/July time. I’m not sure there’s an incentive you can offer for the teams in the middle part of the table that could make it worth their while and leave them having something to play for, for much of the year. Qualification to a latter stage of the Challenge Cup the following year but that’s not the greatest reward on or off the pitch and wouldn’t exactly be something you could sell to people to try and create a big game atmosphere around 7th v 10th, for example. It’s not like Football or, I assume, Rugby Union, where teams have European places to play for. I’m at a loss how we could do something to incentivise most clubs, year round. 

Do we actually need so many Super League games? Is a twenty-seven game season not too long? Come Easter, with bad luck, bad recruitment, results etc your season could be over. Is that what we really want? 

I’m not sold on it domestically, but is there an argument for a Nines weekend(s)? I love Magic and think it’s a great idea that could be presented far better than it is, but that’s another story, and I’d hate to lose it but a Nines weekend could give clubs a chance of silverware mid-season and potentially a “new” dominant side or two. Or even a Nines League format with a series of rounds throughout the year. 

I am certain that we need fewer Super League games and more International games mid season. Yes, France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Jamaica aren’t exactly tough opposition but it’s better than nothing, IMHO, and better than an Exiles team. We’ve seen with World Cups that International Rugby League is well attended and not just between the big three nations. There’s no reason why a game properly marketed couldn’t attract a good crowd. Much like the NRL, I’d have an International Test weekend (maybe a couple) between England, Scotland, France, Wales, Ireland and Jamaica, whether part of a competition or as one off Tests. 

Agreed with the last bit.

14 teams, 26 rounds.

3 week international break in JunE enough time to run the European championships in the summer and attract festival atmospheres to games and attract new fans who buy into their national allegiances. Frees up the end of season for level appropriate tours e.g England to Australia, France to PNG

You keep p&r in a 14 team comp, and hopefully not too any clubs are outside a T6 play off and the relegation fight. If you keep magic make it a regular round of fixtures. The only way a midseason break for internationals would work is if Origin is played over 3 weekends with NZ Tonga and Samoa coming over for a 4 nations. Much prefer 2 tens

5 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

It is, even as a season ticket holder I was pretty blasé about missing the third edition of Trinity vs Huddersfield by July. Same could be said for other fixtures. I know SL clubs are against it due to slicing up the pie but it makes sense in every other aspect. 

No it doesn't IMO, 12 is enough, 22 regular season matches plus the C Cup, Magic Nines Weekend and internationals, plenty for Regan Grace and Morgan Knowles to play.  We play too many club matches at the moment.  And go to 11 a side with a 5 metre defensive line, get rid of the scrum and conversions. Make tries worth 6 points and penalties 3 points.  Get rid of drop-goals too. 

Hull FC

2 minutes ago, Welsh RL & RU watcher said:

No it doesn't IMO, 12 is enough, 22 regular season matches plus the C Cup, Magic Nines Weekend and internationals, plenty for Regan Grace and Morgan Knowles to play.  We play too many club matches at the moment.  And go to 11 a side with a 5 metre defensive line, get rid of the scrum and conversions. Make tries worth 6 points and penalties 3 points.  Get rid of drop-goals too. 

You sound awfully similar to another person that used to frequent this forum.

I actually liked Derek Beaumont’s suggestion on backchat of going first to 13by having no relegation, promoting the Championship winner, then doing the same the following season, therefore giving the promoted team time to find their feet. As I suspect this season will be lost as a meaningful one then maybe that’s what they should try for 2021.  

Super League chairmen will never make a decision that impacts their finances negatively. They will not go for a 14 team SL. Every decision they make it based solely on their own financial interests (see Toronto's SL acceptance conditions). They will not split the pie into more slices unless a broadcaster insists upon it.

Maybe I'm jaded.

52 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I actually liked Derek Beaumont’s suggestion on backchat of going first to 13by having no relegation, promoting the Championship winner, then doing the same the following season, therefore giving the promoted team time to find their feet. As I suspect this season will be lost as a meaningful one then maybe that’s what they should try for 2021.  

Totally agree.

The 2021 season is crucial in how the game recovers.  IMHO it is ludicrous and self harming if we have relegation as clubs may over extend themselves financially to avoid the drop.

If relegation is shelved until the end of 2022 then whatever we salvage from this season plus a full 2021 season gives the clubs time to stabilise themselves.

If this occurs and we have a 14 team league in 2022 then bring back P&R with 2 clubs relegated and 2 promoted (unless they develop a licence system that I prefer).  SL continues with a play off and GF whilst in the Championship have the top 2 automatically promoted.  

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

If there isn’t time to fairly relegate the bottom side of Super League due to it not being “meaningful”, you can’t expect to see a “meaningful” Championship take place between now and the end of the year and you, therefore, cannot, fairly, promote a team based off what happens on the field. 

It does amuse me how people continue to propose the same solutions week after week, year after year. And that they always seem to best suit their own particular club. Like Leigh fans suggesting 2 leagues of 10, which co-incidentally works very well for the traditional yo-yo clubs (other fans/clubs/formats also available).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

46 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It does amuse me how people continue to propose the same solutions week after week, year after year. And that they always seem to best suit their own particular club. Like Leigh fans suggesting 2 leagues of 10, which co-incidentally works very well for the traditional yo-yo clubs (other fans/clubs/formats also available).

Although I live in Canada, and will obviously be interested in the Wolfpack, my team is currently in League 1.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If there isn’t time to fairly relegate the bottom side of Super League due to it not being “meaningful”, you can’t expect to see a “meaningful” Championship take place between now and the end of the year and you, therefore, cannot, fairly, promote a team based off what happens on the field. 

Except I suggested that we write off 2020, mainly because I can’t see the Championship even starting, my idea was to impose the no relegation at the end of 2021, then go to 13 for 2022, then 14 for 2023. As someone else said 2021 is a crucial year as it will be the first post Covid19 season, a (hopefully) World Cup year and the ending of a TV deal so the last thing we should do is relegate a team that year. Unfortunately I do tend to agree that Super League owners are likely to be reluctant to carve the TV pie into more slices so we will probably stay at 12 teams and loop fixtures.

Looking at it negatively it would seem to be that 'finance and size of talent pool' argues against it - as per Mr Hudgell

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-kr-chief-neil-hudgell-hoping-common-sense-prevails-over-super-league-relegation-2846181

I thought the original idea was to prevent players burning-out and to improve international chances,while the 'elite' players only play high intensity games.

One fine day an idea may be mooted,agreed on and followed,uninterrupted and unargued,for a specific length of time.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 14:00, Hela Wigmen said:

If we have a 14 team league, Ditch the Grand Final and return to the old Premiership trophy concept. The team who finish top of the league are champions and then on top of this teams 1-12 have a play off system for the Premiership trophy (with the higher up the league you finish the more home games you get). Teams 13 & 14  then have a single game to decide which one gets relegated 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

If we have a 14 team league, Ditch the Grand Final and return to the old Premiership trophy concept. The team who finish top of the league are champions and then on top of this teams 1-12 have a play off system for the Premiership trophy (with the higher up the league you finish the more home games you get). Teams 13 & 14  then have a single game to decide which one gets relegated 

Ditch the biggest event on the calendar? Not happening. 

Also, twelve teams in the play-off’s, madness. May as well just have a knock-out comp and call it Super League. 

7 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Playoffs which don't crown a champion?  Why would anyone ever want such a stupid thing?

Archived