Robert Elstone - Ditch Relegation and Promotion for coming season

"I think essentially it makes it appear to me, even at this stage, that relegation from Super League is not going to be a fair and equitable proposition for Super League clubs," Elstone told the Golden Point Daily vodcast.

"It wouldn't feel right to do that and I think if we're not there yet, it seems very likely to me that we will arrive at that point in the near future.

"That clearly has a knock-on into promotion. My belief very strongly is if all those conditions and uncertainties and compromise applies to Super League, such that it's unrealistic and unfair to relegate, then for me, that has to be mirrored into the Championship.

"So against that very same backdrop it would feel, to me, unreasonable and unfair to promote a team into Super League in 2021"

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11984289/super-league-ceo-robert-elstone-targets-july-return-to-action

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Given what he says above and elsewhere in the interview about the season being compromised, the SL clubs will be just as opposed to any SL team being crowned Champions as they are to any Championship team being promoted...

Asterisk season. Warrington’s year?

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Asterisk season. Warrington’s year?

Oh for the perfect storm, the Premier League gets cancelled denying Liverpool their championship ( who would be bitter then eh) and Wire finally win the league only for it to be a dead rubber.

bitter? Me of course I am.

17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Has there been any discussion on promotion and relegation from/to League One?

I think the wider question right now is whether Championship and League One will even re-start the season?

It's been widely said that playing with no spectators is financially unviable and if there isn't going to be promotion at the end of the season, there seems little point in playing.

Not the speccy's in Canada I can live with their comments as it is their  team and rightly so if they attend they pay to comment, but I am sorry if it means that Toronto are saved from relegation, for if it had happened there would no doubt have been some gem's of comments on these pages.

For me it would be important that we still have a decent close season and pre season the following season.

Add to that the hope that there will be a post season - ie some sort of representative fixture list.

All that needs time --  therefor a truncated fixture list.  If this means less than 22 games a season, then this means A) it makes it more to the point to have a post REGULAR season play off,  and B) in the circumstances no regulation.

The knock on may be to promote (if feasible) the winner of the championship and have a 13 team SL next year.

I think finality is needed sooner rather than later, with for me no loops next season and again a shorter season starting a bit later... out of the winter flu season (!!!)

But frankly, the harsh fact is that is we wind down the lock down we may see the virus itself ramp up again.  Anyone (especially anyone thinking of being vulnerable) thinking of swanning into a busy stadium and or a pub will be a damn fool.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not the speccy's in Canada I can live with their comments as it is their  team and rightly so if they attend they pay to comment, but I am sorry if it means that Toronto are saved from relegation, for if it had happened there would no doubt have been some gem's of comments on these pages.

Toronto was never at risk of relegation....they were just getting ready to roll!

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I think the wider question right now is whether Championship and League One will even re-start the season?

It's been widely said that playing with no spectators is financially unviable and if there isn't going to be promotion at the end of the season, there seems little point in playing.

Indeed. Once we get past all the usual Superleague bashing, the facts are that a decision to do away with P&R this year would be taken by the whole RFL membership, which the SL clubs are still full members of. The didn't split from the RFL unlike what many believe.

And just as the vote on the new SL structure and 'operational independence' was passed by a large majority of all clubs, so I expect a decision to scrap the Ch/L1 seasons might also be. 

The number of Championship clubs that have the means to push on with the 2020 season without spectator income in the hope of reaching SL are outweighed in my mind by those who could be severely damaged by it. Perhaps it's Leigh, Widnes and Featherstone vs the rest.              

If you can’t get enough games played within Super League to fairly relegate a side, what evidence is there to suggest that the Championship and League One will get enough games played for promotion and relegation from/to League One?

I cannot see a way that you can promote any side this year. 

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If you can’t get enough games played within Super League to fairly relegate a side, what evidence is there to suggest that the Championship and League One will get enough games played for promotion and relegation from/to League One?

I cannot see a way that you can promote any side this year. 

I agree, and for that reason the lower league clubs need to 'mothball' and wait for 2021

I realise that 'Degsy' will likely explode at this suggestion.... ?

Agree 100%.

It would be grossly unfair,even by rugby league standards,to have promotion and relegation when the overseas clubs are deprived of home games.

If it is unlikely that soccer is to be played in front of spectators until October,at the earliest,that,at least,is some guideline.

Providing there is no further spike in Covid 19 cases.

I hope the minds are focused on the finances for the whole sport,and how the whole sport restarts with a real bang.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

11 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I agree, and for that reason the lower league clubs need to 'mothball' and wait for 2021

Degsy is ok with things, it’s SL 2021 for his club

5 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Agree 100%.

It would be grossly unfair,even by rugby league standards,to have promotion and relegation when the overseas clubs are deprived of home games.

If it is unlikely that soccer is to be played in front of spectators until October,at the earliest,that,at least,is some guideline.

Providing there is no further spike in Covid 19 cases.

I hope the minds are focused on the finances for the whole sport,and how the whole sport restarts with a real bang.

My guess is mid August, play to Xmas and you get a full season in. You must ring fence the promoted club though due to recruitment challenges

33 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

My guess is mid August, play to Xmas and you get a full season in. You must ring fence the promoted club though due to recruitment challenges

Yes. Deny the current last-place club any home games, relegate them at the end of the season and ring-fence their promoted replacement for the next season. Sounds totally fair to me.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

By time you factor in pregnant partners NOT wanting the players to play - players signed to new clubs - no spectators - players who refuse to be vaccinated etc. I reckon the games,if played,will be far from full-intensity and not the basis for promotion/relegation - or a good indication of how the following year will pan out - on or off the field.

Off field matters need to be thoroughly thought through and ready for a full-on restart.Half-hearted rushed games is not the way to go.

The squads aren't large enough and players discontent over financial matters won't help.

Shoehorning a season into a couple of months won't work.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

38 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Fair comment. Still no reason to not start the season from where it finished.

There probably is a reason though, especially at lower league level. Can you fit in 22-24 regular season games plus potentially the Challenge Cup and 1895 Cup and the play-off’s into the remainder of the year? 

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Had you invested in something, anything and it cost you a lot of money like thousands would have done Paul and your hopes and aspirations have effectively been scuppered wouldn't you feel a little disgruntled also?

On a larger scale Sky are wanting their investment rolling over again, are they not? 

Archived