Robert Elstone - Ditch Relegation and Promotion for coming season

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

How many times do I have to tell you Harry...the United States is a different country than Canada...the logic of what you have written would mean that the French are the same as the British because they share a border....come on Harry...time to lift your game yet again!!

"Run With The Pack!"

It's 72 miles to Palmyra from Toronto as the crow flies or across the lake and a little trek not even a  paddle and amble for you K'Man, so not do different I suppose!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's 72 miles to Palmyra from Toronto as the crow flies or across the lake and a little trek not even a  paddle and amble for you K'Man, so not do different I suppose!

Well I don't live near that close...its only 34 kilometers from Great Britain to France...hope you are enjoying your morning baguette with a bit of burgundy Oldtimer.

I am thinking of taking another big paddle this summer though with no RL on and me putting on a few pounds over the break.  I figure I still got one more big one in me but the only problem is a bad knee from a stupid fall hiking accident last fall....still not there yet....can't go out injured.

5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Actually if the 10% of capacity rule was applied in August, The Championship clubs could return faster than the Super League clubs. Take Derek Beaumont on Rugby League backchat a week or so ago. Leigh Sports Village holds 11,000. Leigh have 1300 season ticket hlders. Assuming at least 200 ST holders do not turn up at any one time then, you have 1100 ST holders turning up,  social distancing is maintained, and the club not only plays but profits through merchandise and food and drink revenue. The only down side is ST holders only, no walk up sales and no away fans.

I imagine this is the case in the rest of the championship, so if socia distancing restrictions are eased by August as is expected, then as I post the Chamopionship can restart -But without P&R what would be the point of a series of friendlies?

But how on earth would the game survive??? ?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Western New Yorkers have a very definite accent but that stops at the border. Native Torontonians no more sound like them than you do.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Is that official BC policy? Blimey. That could wipe out 2021 too, so Toronto could potentially be waiting another two years to welcome a team to Lamport. 

That may not be the case, of course, but Argyle will need to weigh that up as he continues to bankroll the club with little coming back.

If he pulled the plug now you’d probably have an 11 team league this season with records expunged. 

Yep, that’s what they told us Wednesday, now I suspect that like everything at the moment it contains more than an element of smoke and mirrors, politicians like to give us the most unpalatable news, relax it later, then give us what they intended all along. Personally I think that the BC government will be faced with strong pushback from the owners of the Canucks, Whitecaps and especially Lions (for those who don’t know the CFL is facing total collapse), the problem for someone like David Argyle must be if they say “no fans, time scale to be determined “, since that’s asking a huge level of commitment of anyone.

On 07/05/2020 at 20:02, newbe said:

I just cant see S/L having the finances, for keeping the players in isolation, and paying for all the testing not just the players but all the auxiliary personnel that make the game happen. 

Stick them all in a big hall somewhere on camp cot beds. Sorted.

Promoting one or two teams, assuming we can have a mini-season, would seem to be a reasonable option. Toronto don't get funding anyway so you are talking about a 13 way split. If SL clubs can't work with that then are they even viable in the first place?

I'd prefer to see teams promoted on the field as this is what teams have prepared for. With two places up for grabs I doubt the Championship teams would complain if the competition was a little uneven with games. Top automatically promoted and another via play-offs.

If SL wanted to go back to 12 the year after then 3 could be relegated but personally I think 14 is the optimal number with no loop fixtures and a top 5/6 play-off.

The notion that there aren't enough players is nonsense and it provides a much more balanced fixture list.

Relegation isn't fair, promotion would create some positivity.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Promoting one or two teams, assuming we can have a mini-season, would seem to be a reasonable option. Toronto don't get funding anyway so you are talking about a 13 way split. If SL clubs can't work with that then are they even viable in the first place?

I'd prefer to see teams promoted on the field as this is what teams have prepared for. With two places up for grabs I doubt the Championship teams would complain if the competition was a little uneven with games. Top automatically promoted and another via play-offs.

If SL wanted to go back to 12 the year after then 3 could be relegated but personally I think 14 is the optimal number with no loop fixtures and a top 5/6 play-off.

The notion that there aren't enough players is nonsense and it provides a much more balanced fixture list.

Relegation isn't fair, promotion would create some positivity.

Super League aren’t going to promote one side for a year while losing out on all the money Magic generates through ticket sales, sponsorship etc to appease a few lower league chairmen. Nor will the Super League chairmen be willing to split their share with another club or two, even for a year, after a global pandemic that has shut the game down. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Super League aren’t going to promote one side for a year while losing out on all the money Magic generates through ticket sales, sponsorship etc to appease a few lower league chairmen. Nor will the Super League chairmen be willing to split their share with another club or two, even for a year, after a global pandemic that has shut the game down. 

You are probably correct, I doubt SL clubs would want that. I also didn't say they would, I was merely suggesting what I thought would be best for the game. No relegation, fair enough but demonstrate some togetherness by promoting a couple of teams, freshening things up and bringing some positivity.

I doubt it will happen for the reasons you say. We are a poor, tinpot sport where sums as small as 50 grand seem like life and death for some of our 'elite' level teams.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Championship final was due to be scheduled weekend of 3-4th October. Which if that date was achievable in France or UK, it would leave you an approx 4 month off season. Even if the UK government said we are good to go tomorrow on the briefing behind closed doors or whatever ( I know it won't happen) you would be saying a 3 week "preseason" to limit injuries so be looking at starting the earliest at end of May. Due to the weather earlier this season you have teams on between 3-5 games. We have scheduled before any playoffs or Challenge Cup commitments 26 games in total, so need to fit in at least 21 weeks, (before mentioning player welfare most teams in this league are part-time so do struggle when it comes to cramming in the fixtures). With the sport situation in Toulouse they would need to be based in the UK if they are to play and at the moment it looks like they would need 2 weeks quarantine. If they gave the go ahead tomorrow with all the above mentioned, just to play 21 weeks we would be looking at finishing the 2020 season on 31st October/1st November and that's with no challenge Cup or playoffs for Championship clubs. Thinking logically I generally do think there could be a time this year when sport will be back on the calendar, personally I feel like 2020 season should be scrapped and restart a new season in 2021, if any games can be played look at arranging and playing split gate receipt friendlies towards the end of the year. 

19 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

if any games can be played look at arranging and playing split gate receipt friendlies towards the end of the year. 

Some clubs have commited far more than others to their wage bills, would a split gate receipt - after the home clubs expenses - be acceptable?

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Some clubs have commited far more than others to their wage bills, would a split gate receipt - after the home clubs expenses - be acceptable?

Based on Championship sides playing 4 games 3 against fellow championship sides and 1 "high profile" fixture it could be doable alot would be down to individual clubs, what are the arrangements around stadiums etc however you would expect that in the region of 4 games are better than non. 

4 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Based on Championship sides playing 4 games 3 against fellow championship sides and 1 "high profile" fixture it could be doable alot would be down to individual clubs, what are the arrangements around stadiums etc however you would expect that in the region of 4 games are better than non. 

Sorry HK, I am struggling to interpret what you are meaning to say?

21 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s no amount of small print betting companies will use but I imagine this year they’ll try and claim sports that aren’t finished in their entirety, like Football in France for example, are void bets. 

Possibly. I just don’t know if you can stage more than one game at one venue if they only have two dressing rooms without some form of deep clean. Granted, portakabins could be brought in but that’s another cost to consider. 

As I put earlier , there are several more changing rooms within 50 yards of the LSV 

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I put earlier , there are several more changing rooms within 50 yards of the LSV 

That’s great but I can’t imagine there’s too many venues like that around the game, especially in the lower leagues. 

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

28 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The very idea that Rimmer could say “I told you so” to Super League is beyond ridiculous. 

It didn't say he did! but I know first hand that Ralph contacted the Club Chairmen below SL in the lead up to the vote to canvass them to vote with the SL suggested changes.

But that piece by the Yorkshire Post tells us nothing that we have not debated on these pages.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s great but I can’t imagine there’s too many venues like that around the game, especially in the lower leagues. 

Isn't that the point ? , You don't need loads , just one or two 

3 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

personally I feel like 2020 season should be scrapped and restart a new season in 2021, if any games can be played look at arranging and playing split gate receipt friendlies towards the end of the year. 

There won't be any 'gate receipts' because games are going to be played behind closed doors for the remainder of the year.

Let’s say SL clubs play without loop fixtures and magic, and that Cats and TW are out of further fixtures - Aug to Nov is plenty to run the season, same applies to championship. Come November Cats v TW can have a million pound game to settle the relegation spot........

17 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Let’s say SL clubs play without loop fixtures and magic, and that Cats and TW are out of further fixtures - Aug to Nov is plenty to run the season, same applies to championship. Come November Cats v TW can have a million pound game to settle the relegation spot........

Why could Toronto not play their games, if the BC directive is that they can't play in Canada simply because foriegn teams are not allowed in the country then that should not effect the league, they can play their games in this countrywhich I am sure the player's won't be against.

Archived