Greatest Dewsbury Players - your top 3 Substitues

Wakefield Ram

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Especially for Tommy Gallagher fans..?

(To the tune of Yellow Submarine)

"Number 1 is Tommy G, number 2 is Tommy G. Number 3 is Tommy G, number 4 is Tommy G. Number 5 is Tommy G, number 6 is Tommy G. Number 7 is Tommy G, number 8 is Tommy G. Number 9 is Tommy G, number 10 is Tommy G. Number 11 is Tommy G, number 12 is Tommy G. Number 13 is Tommy G and all the subs are Tommy G.......................................

We....all....dream of a team of Tommy G's, a team of Tommy G's, a team of Tommy G's!" 

Tommy G .... Impact player on any position

Steve Lee .... Competent at full back or either half back position

Sam Day .... We've ALWAYS looked better when he's come off the bench

If it was 'utility' players rather than subs, then Phil Artis would deffo be in there

Keep staying safe all !! ??

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

Tommy G .... Impact player on any position

Steve Lee .... Competent at full back or either half back position

Sam Day .... We've ALWAYS looked better when he's come off the bench

If it was 'utility' players rather than subs, then Phil Artis would deffo be in there

Keep staying safe all !! ??

Dear not there will be a Greatest Utility player and Phil Artis was the first one I thought of.

Phil Arits, winger one week,prop the next, did whatever he was asked.

Tommy Gallagher...dont need to say anymore.

One of the best sub appearances ever was Neil Pickerail ..not sure of the second name, against Hunslet at Elland Road, turned a 20 point deficit into a victory playing scrum half  and passing like Wally Lewis .

Has to be Steve Lee - the only one on the 73 side who didn’t get on the pitch in the Final (and Tommy Smailes regrets it to this day, as he said to me at the 40th anniversary reunion) and the lad didn’t moan (well, not in public).

Dicky Doel anyone?

Don't forget Alan Brunt either, just a little better than his brother.

Shayne Williams has to be the most fearsome substitute of his time with Mikaeli Aizue also up there.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Dicky Doel anyone?

Don't forget Alan Brunt either, just a little better than his brother.

Shayne Williams has to be the most fearsome substitute of his time with Mikaeli Aizue also up there.

He might have only been able to manage 10 minutes here and then near the end but big shayne could be devastating against a tiring opposition. 

14 minutes ago, MrBungle said:

He might have only been able to manage 10 minutes here and then near the end but big shayne could be devastating against a tiring opposition. 

What a slur ?. 10 mins?  In his prime it was nearer 25 ??

1 hour ago, NickD said:

What a slur ?. 10 mins?  In his prime it was nearer 25 ??

Say what you like about shayne, but he was a crowd pleaser and one of my all time favourites. I often wonder where he might have ended up had he taken his shot at SL with Salford. Probably still in the tap room at the Black lab, but it might have been an interesting journey.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

34 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Say what you like about shayne, but he was a crowd pleaser and one of my all time favourites. I often wonder where he might have ended up had he taken his shot at SL with Salford. Probably still in the tap room at the Black lab, but it might have been an interesting journey.

Couldn’t agree more.  One of our most entertaining players ever and It’s been said in here before, had he really applied himself he’s have gone a long way in the game.  

17 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Used to like seeing Dennis Trembath warming up on the touchline in his black duffel coat. Always knew you were about to see some action.

It was worth watching him warm up, just to see the look on the faces of the opposition!

I remember him coming on at Knowsley Road for a cup game, he looked a giant.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

1. Phil Artis - seem to remember him playing wing and prop in the season. Also remember him playing Wigan and having some grudge against George Fairbairn who was a dirty player.

2. Tommy Gallagher - great impact off the bench,truly one of those players who made things happen.

3. Dennis Trembath - the only Olympic bobsleigher to have played for Dewsbury. Fast, big and made an impact.

I seem to remember Trembath losing the ball in most tackles. Other payers soon worked him out.

Phil Artis suffered from being regarded as a utility player and being unused in Jeff Grayshon's short-lived coaching spell. He never did get to reach his true potential but,  for me, was an 80 minute player, not an impact substitute.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I have a query here and it relates to BSJ’s comment above; are we talking about players who were generally substitutes, individuals  we couldn’t fit into our thirteen, or is it simply our choice?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

47 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I have a query here and it relates to BSJ’s comment above; are we talking about players who were generally substitutes, individuals  we couldn’t fit into our thirteen, or is it simply our choice?

There are no rules, just do what you want ?

• 2 weeks later...

After some thought I will go for:

Tommy Gallagher 

Paul Jennings

Steve Lee

Although we have had substitutes since the ‘60s, I had to go with  three fairly recent players because in the earliest days of watching my hometown team the game did not have substitutes. 

Can I suggest that Tommy G must be the super sub of RL to David Fairclough‘s similar rôle in the round ball thingy?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived