Pacifique XIII - A huge boost for French RL?

Caught on Instagram so don’t have a concrete link but it seems a Pacifique XIII team are looking to join the Queensland Cup to utilise talented in French speaking Pacific island territories.

An interview with their media manager Laurent Garnier will be on the next edition of Chasing Kangaroos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I for one wish them well and hope they’re successful in their bid. It would be a great addition to not only Q Cup but international rugby league in potentially boosting the French, Vanuatuan and Solomon Islander national teams.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Copa said:

Would they have the talent for the Qld Cup? That could be an issue. 

Certainly is an issue, would take years upon years to begin developing appropriate talent on the islands themselves.

Maybe be heavily reliant on importing from the French mainland? Serve almost as a development gap between Elite One and TO/Catalans

• Thanks 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

41 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Certainly is an issue, would take years upon years to begin developing appropriate talent on the islands themselves.

Maybe be heavily reliant on importing from the French mainland? Serve almost as a development gap between Elite One and TO/Catalans

I reckon most if not all QLD Cup teams would beat TO. A few would prob beat Catalan.

Always wondered about potential for RL in places like New Caledonia and Vanuatu. Large enough population. I reckon the Tahiti link may we’ll be a little difficult to maintain from NC.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 2

"Pacifique Treize Rugby League is an Intrust Super Cup expansion bid for a team representing the French speaking Pacific Island territories of New Caledonia, Vanuatu, French Polynesia (Tahiti) and Wallis and Futuna that will be based in Noumea, New Caledonia."

Looks like the New Caledonia RU will be frantically block-booking the island's only stadium again... ?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'' With 300,000 people, New Caledonia has the population and also the economic capability to cater for a team in the Intrust Super Cup, which is widely touted as the second-best rugby league competition in the world.''

An interesting portion of the article, I trust Super Cup better than Super League? Assuming that they're inferring NRL is no. 1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope something comes of this but I doubt it.

I have visited Noumea/ New Caledonia many times as recently as February and Vanuatu probably even more often.

The citizens of Noumea seem like they are comfortable being propped up by France and are on   “Island time” I can not imagine a team from there competing in the QLD Cup.

Is the QLD Cup a comp that just brings in any overseas team that fancies a stepping stone to develop their players and put them in the shop window?

• Like 2

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

I have visited Noumea/ New Caledonia many times as recently as February and Vanuatu probably even more often.

The citizens of Noumea seem like they are comfortable being propped up by France and are on   “Island time” I can not imagine a team from there competing in the QLD Cup.

Is the QLD Cup a comp that just brings in any overseas team that fancies a stepping stone to develop their players and put them in the shop window?

Interesting viewpoint, you’re more qualified than most to say that. Is the ‘island time’ a reflection of their appetite for anything remotely professional or the reality of them producing any sort of quality player? 

8 minutes ago, Changa said:

'' With 300,000 people, New Caledonia has the population and also the economic capability to cater for a team in the Intrust Super Cup, which is widely touted as the second-best rugby league competition in the world.''

An interesting portion of the article, I trust Super Cup better than Super League? Assuming that they're inferring NRL is no. 1

New Caledonia relies heavily on mining exports, Nickel prices have been poor for some time.

Without France propping the Islands up they would be in big trouble.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Interesting viewpoint, you’re more qualified than most to say that. Is the ‘island time’ a reflection of their appetite for anything remotely professional or the reality of them producing any sort of quality player? 

Island time is a casual laid back view of life.

Many locals resent being a French protectorate.

The last referendum was last year I think, France was left in charge but it was widely tied to the money France pour into the Country.

I can not see any indication that they are an untapped League Country.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Caught on Instagram so don’t have a concrete link but it seems a Pacifique XIII team are looking to join the Queensland Cup to utilise talented in French speaking Pacific island territories.

An interview with their media manager Laurent Garnier will be on the next edition of Chasing Kangaroos.

And looking to use French players.  This is going to be a project.  Best of luck to them and it will be interesting to see their progress.

I think the only easy game in that comp would be Norths Devils.

3 hours ago, Changa said:

Saw that and thought it could have only been written by a blinkered Aussie ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Allora said:

That’s no different to Fiji though, where they call it ‘Fiji time’ and they’re still a successful rugby side.

I also doubt it will come to fruition though and note they are not looking to join until 2023. Looks aspirational.

In terms of talent though, there’s plenty of rugby talent in Vanuatu and Solomon Islands so I think they’d go ok

26 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That’s no different to Fiji though, where they call it ‘Fiji time’ and they’re still a successful rugby side.

I also doubt it will come to fruition though and note they are not looking to join until 2023. Looks aspirational.

In terms of talent though, there’s plenty of rugby talent in Vanuatu and Solomon Islands so I think they’d go ok

Slightly off topic, didn’t a Vanuatuan player (Joey Meninga) come over to the UK recently to play either reserve grade or a decent amateur level?

7 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

If its Laurent behind it fantastic great guy (He is from Perpignan his wife is an Aussie) 100% it will work:)

He is indeed a great guy, but that is irrelevant to its success.  I do wish them well, but.....

This is more far-fetched than any Canada/USA idea ever floated and any comparison to the PNG bid is way off target.  PNG ticks all the boxes.  A population of 8.6 million, a world class RL stadium, 15,000 registered players in the country.  Sure, they are not the wealthiest nation, but by sheer weight of numbers, 8.6 million in a country where RL is a religion means they get good numbers at their matches and are a viable entity.  They are a good, competitive side in the Qld Cup.

Pacifique XIII on the other hand, ticks NONE of those boxes.  Small population and no RL activity on the island since 2006 means that the only way this can possibly work is if there is a sugar daddy behind it and a 100% imported squad, for at least their first 5 years.

Qld Cup is a very strong competition.  A lot of Aussies indeed claim it is better than SL, I don't agree with that, but there is really not a lot in it.  I believe if SL teams and Qld Cup teams met, the home team would win every time.  Matches would be so close, that whether the match is played in tropical Qld or freezing English conditions would likely be the deciding factor.

And finally, anyone thinking this will somehow strengthen the French team I think will be very disappointed.

8 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

And looking to use French players.  This is going to be a project.  Best of luck to them and it will be interesting to see their progress.

I think the only easy game in that comp would be Norths Devils.

Is that the same Norths Devils who finished in 5th place in the final standings 2019 ??