Pacifique XIII - A huge boost for French RL?

Just listened to the Chasing Kangaroos podcast with the Treize X111 media manager Laurent Garnier. Interesting guy, grew up in Perpignan before meeting an Australian girl and moving to Brisbane. Coached in the Queensland Cup and then took on the job of coaching Carcassonne. Seems that the plan is to follow the Silktails path and play in a lower league while they build a squad ready for 2023. They seem to have put a board of like minded people together although he didn't provide details of their financial strength. He was very keen to promote league throughout the region and thinks the opportunity to play high standard rugby whilst staying in their home country would appeal to the many union players.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Yep, and if given the opportunity they could do in a bunch of other NRL teams as well.

They aren't the only team that is capable of that as well.

They have struggled to beat NRL reserves/feeder teams in the Interstate Championship suffering a few hammerings along the way 54–12 Illawarra/Burleigh 42-18 Penrith/ PNG Hunters,42-18 Bulldogs/Redcliffe,20-16 Newtown Jets/Burleigh.

Hmm I think I’m not the delusional one.

4 hours ago, LaneCoveTiger said:

Just listened to the Chasing Kangaroos podcast with the Treize X111 media manager Laurent Garnier. Interesting guy, grew up in Perpignan before meeting an Australian girl and moving to Brisbane. Coached in the Queensland Cup and then took on the job of coaching Carcassonne. Seems that the plan is to follow the Silktails path and play in a lower league while they build a squad ready for 2023. They seem to have put a board of like minded people together although he didn't provide details of their financial strength. He was very keen to promote league throughout the region and thinks the opportunity to play high standard rugby whilst staying in their home country would appeal to the many union players.

Some huge hurdles to overcome but let’s hope it gets off the ground and is successful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

They have struggled to beat NRL reserves/feeder teams in the Interstate Championship suffering a few hammerings along the way 54–12 Illawarra/Burleigh 42-18 Penrith/ PNG Hunters,42-18 Bulldogs/Redcliffe,20-16 Newtown Jets/Burleigh.

I agree that many of the NSW cup sides wouldn't be out of place in the SL either.

With the exceptions of Ipswich, CQ, and the Hunters, all the Qld cup sides are reserves for NRL sides as well, so maybe stop talking about things that you know nothing about.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I agree that many of the NSW cup sides wouldn't be out of place in the SL either.

With the exceptions of Ipswich, CQ, and the Hunters, all the Qld cup sides are reserves for NRL sides as well, so maybe stop talking about things that you know nothing about.

So by your warped logic NRL teams reserve sides would beat there first grade,yeah ok you’ve just confirmed you have no idea.

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Fair point.  Though those to me, are respectable scorelines, not "hammerings" as you describe them.  54-12 is the only one getting into the category of a "hammering".

Anyway, let me ask you this then.  How does NSW Cup compare to SL in your opinion?

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

Fair point.  Though those to me, are respectable scorelines, not "hammerings" as you describe them.  54-12 is the only one getting into the category of a "hammering".

Anyway, let me ask you this then.  How does NSW Cup compare to SL in your opinion?

Is there much point in making a comparison,it would be just personal opinion based on little evidence.

My opinion is they could be competitive against  the bottom of the table sides but would be out of their depth with the majority of Superleague teams.

They certainly wouldn’t beat their NRL counterparts as delusional Dane states 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Is there much point in making a comparison,it would be just personal opinion based on little evidence.

My opinion is they could be competitive against  the bottom of the table sides but would be out of their depth with the majority of Superleague teams.

They certainly wouldn’t beat their NRL counterparts as delusional Dane states 

Burleigh already have beaten their first grade side, and if given the opportunity they could beat a few of the other teams in the lower half of the NRL as well!

Many of the other better teams in the Qld cup and NSW cup could beat weaker NRL teams as well if given the chance, because in reality there isn't that much of a difference in standard between your top Q and NSW cup teams and your bottom of the table NRL sides.

And just because I say they could beat somebody doesn't mean that they'd necessarily be convincing in doing so, or that they'd necessarily have a better win-loss ratio over their opponent.

Let's put it this way, if Burleigh can beat the Titans, then they'd probably finish somewhere between 7th and 10th in your average year of Super League, but they'd definitely "shock" a few of the stronger SL clubs along the way.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Burleigh already have beaten their first grade side, and if given the opportunity they could beat a few of the other teams in the lower half of the NRL as well!

Many of the other better teams in the Qld cup and NSW cup could beat weaker NRL teams as well if given the chance, because in reality there isn't that much of a difference in standard between your top Q and NSW cup teams and your bottom of the table NRL sides.

And just because I say they could beat somebody doesn't mean that they'd necessarily be convincing in doing so, or that they'd necessarily have a better win-loss ratio over their opponent.

Let's put it this way, if Burleigh can beat the Titans, then they'd probably finish somewhere between 7th and 10th in your average year of Super League, but they'd definitely "shock" a few of the stronger SL clubs along the way.

Let it go you are clearly wrong and have derailed this thread enough with your wild,biased,myopic claims,the clue is in the name "2nd Grade "and your sole piece of "evidence" to back your claims  is 1 preseason friendly.

I can't recall Paul Green phoning the Northern Pride or the Townsville Blackhawks to swap his misfiring Cowboys players for their's or Garth Brennan saying I'm gonna save my job by playing the Burleigh Bears or Tweedheads teams in place of mine.

Wins by lower league teams over top Level teams of course are possible and happen - you see it in Challenge Cup and also when GB got a hiding by PNG. That’s not to say it would happen regularly over a course of a season. 

Regardless, it’s not the point of this topic. I hope Pacifique XIII do make it but I’m doubtful 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 07/05/2020 at 11:21, welshmagpie said:

An interview with their media manager Laurent Garnier will be on the next edition of Chasing Kangaroos.

In that case there will be some cracking tunes on the stereo in the changing room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/05/2020 at 08:14, ATLANTISMAN said:

If its Laurent behind it fantastic great guy (He is from Perpignan his wife is an Aussie) 100% it will work:)

Paul

As well as being a top techno producer.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

17 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

A New Caledonian has just signed for Montpellier Sharks in the French third tier.

https://treizemondial.fr/deuxieme-recrue-quinziste-pour-les-sharks-de-montpellier/

That would be Axel Mauvaka, who traditionally plays centre.

Positive signs none the less that New Caledonia could produce RL players.

• Like 3

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

17 hours ago, Number 16 said:

... based on that then half the tattooed blokes in Britain are Polynesian. ?

The word Tattoo comes from a Polynesian word so no wonder half the tattooed people in Britian are influenced by polynesian tattoos.

Anyways New Caledonia is a Melanesian Country except for the island of Ouvea which was settled by Polynesians from Wallis & Futuna a long time ago. In recent times thousands of people from Wallis & Futuna have migrated to New Caledonia as they are both french territories. Where im going with this in both codes of rugby the only professional players ive heard of from New Caledonia all have Wallis & Futuna heritage. Dose anyone know if many Melanesian Kanak or French European people play rugby in New Caledonia?

Edited by kiwis 13 6

On 28/05/2020 at 06:08, kiwis 13 6 said:

The word Tattoo comes from a Polynesian word so no wonder half the tattooed people in Britian are influenced by polynesian tattoos.

Anyways New Caledonia is a Melanesian Country except for the island of Ouvea which was settled by Polynesians from Wallis & Futuna a long time ago. In recent times thousands of people from Wallis & Futuna have migrated to New Caledonia as they are both french territories. Where im going with this in both codes of rugby the only professional players ive heard of from New Caledonia all have Wallis & Futuna heritage. Dose anyone know if many Melanesian Kanak or French European people play rugby in New Caledonia?

Demitri Pelo is Melanesian from New Caledonia isn’t he? Granted he emigrated to Queensland when he was young

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Demitri Pelo is Melanesian from New Caledonia isn’t he? Granted he emigrated to Queensland when he was young

Demitri Pelo is Polynesian from Wallis & Futuna but raised in New Caledonia. 

The below Rugby Union article is about Wallis & Futuna producing the most professional Rugby players per head of population.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tiny-nation-produces-professional-rugby-players-per-capita-earth/

A movie called Mecenaire is based around a player from Wallis & Futuna via New Caledonia going to play in France.

Edited by kiwis 13 6
added a link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/05/2020 at 07:08, kiwis 13 6 said:

Sébastien Vahaamahina

On 09/05/2020 at 23:36, The Great Dane said:

Winning the odd game with a fair wind is one thing, maintaining that over the season is quite different. I’ve no reason to challenge your assertion of quality, but It’s possibly a bit simplistic to match teams in two different competitions, played in quite different conditions. I get where you are coming from though. It’s a bit like the comparisons people make with Scottish Premier League Football. Some say Celtic and Rangers could push for a top half finish in the English Premier League, others can’t see past a solid Championship team.

What sort of calibre and experience do these players have, in comparison to the NRL. Are they up and coming players, journeymen, nearly but not quites?

I think your point about St Helens being untouchable and out on their own in Super League highlights that our opinions are perhaps not perfectly aligned regarding Super League either.