Photo

Excolt 1

There were 10 different editions of the booklet from 1948-9 to 1957-8. At least Ihavent seen or heard of anything after 1957-8 and these booklets appear from time to time on e bay.

Photo of first and ‘last’ attached with the photo of the supporters club committee from the first edition and a game photo from the last edition with the great Ted Cahill in the photo just behind the player with the ball.

Apologies for the photos being upside down. Hopefully you will be able todownload and rotate.

I havesome other photos to upload but Ill wait until her indoors gets home and she might be able to help this dinosaur post them the right way up!

41D44188-1E2A-4B9A-89C5-7BE713CD0061.jpeg

BF43546B-44C2-4D67-AB6B-3AEF1B7EDDCE.jpeg

EA62C435-93B4-470D-BB01-14F1F1A19845.jpeg

5197625D-B958-48E9-B082-EEE6036AED4B.jpeg

Programme and line ups from Geoff Kelly’s benefit game...long time servant for the club and selected for Lancashire. In 1970s my mother was a home help and Geoff’s mother was one of her ‘old ladies’. Lovely woman and my mother was distraught when she died.

01FAD51F-96C0-4B4A-975A-022D31C00D99.jpeg

D44E5566-E205-4BED-A8F3-B1168A9EB815.jpeg

6 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

And here are the annual report of accounts for 1909-10

Many thanks for posting these and the other fascinating items....I guess most on here can still come to to grips with pounds, shillings and pence!   Apparently, £1 in 1910 is equivalent in purchasing power to circa £120 today - inflation rate 1910 was 1.05%.
I wonder why were fined 18 shillings?  An “entertainment tax” of £2300 on gate receipts of £8700 - presumably not subjective?  It would be interesting if a Government today were to latch on to this (if or when play resumes), provided we could get refunds based on their performances!

Brilliant Anita Bath Thanks for posting some history of Rochdale Hornets

Think I have 57/58 Hornets magazine, I will check which others I have..

I also collect Hornets programmes if you have any spares, or know anybody who has any spare  would you let me know..

Keep posting the picture love the old stuff from the Hornets..

6 hours ago, glemiln said:

Many thanks for posting these and the other fascinating items....I guess most on here can still come to to grips with pounds, shillings and pence!   Apparently, £1 in 1910 is equivalent in purchasing power to circa £120 today - inflation rate 1910 was 1.05%.
I wonder why were fined 18 shillings?  An “entertainment tax” of £2300 on gate receipts of £8700 - presumably not subjective?  It would be interesting if a Government today were to latch on to this (if or when play resumes), provided we could get refunds based on their performances!

HaHa!  Entertainment tax was introduced in 1916, based on a tax first introduced in Turkey (or the ottoman empire asit was then).One  of those war time measures used to help fund the war, and of course it was not removed after the war!  It continued until 1960 when it was abolished. 

Shhhhhhh! Governments dont need encouraging when it comes to taxes! 

I have the annual reports/accounts documents right through to 1950s.

Talking about ‘old money’ I was reading an article this week which identified that only three countries in the world still have imperial measurment ( feet and inches, pounds and ounces etc) as the official form of measurement . USA is of course one...anyone guess at the other two?

5 hours ago, upthenets said:

Brilliant Anita Bath Thanks for posting some history of Rochdale Hornets

Think I have 57/58 Hornets magazine, I will check which others I have..

I also collect Hornets programmes if you have any spares, or know anybody who has any spare  would you let me know..

Keep posting the picture love the old stuff from the Hornets..

Always plenty available on e bay and very little demand for most so you can usually get them at the opening price.

I put my spares on e bay from time to time in order to generate funds for my purchases.

if you post your list of wanted programmes i can take a look if I have any of them.

1 minute ago, Anita Bath said:

Always plenty available on e bay and very little demand for most so you can usually get them at the opening price.

I put my spares on e bay from time to time in order to generate funds for my purchases.

if you post your list of wanted programmes i can take a look if I have any of them.

Its mainly from the 40s 50s and early 60s that i'm after..

I will post my list of wants tomorrow when I have a bit more time..

Cheers

More stuff

the first photo has three of the Baines football cards produced in Bradford from the 1890s to 1920s. The Rochdale Hornets card is from 1918. The Rochdale Rangers card is from 1912 while theRochdale Albion card is from 1919.

I know nothing about Albion. Rochdale Rangers played games at the Athletic Grounds from 1906. Hornets drew rangers in the Northern Union Cup beating them 8-0 on 17 Feb 1906

The Vic Armbruster cigarette card is a reproduction. Vic was an Australian international second row forward who signed for Hornets in 1931 and later coached Hornets. He was a Queenslander who joined Hornets from Wally Lewis’ old club, Valleys. He played 8 tests all v GB including all three tests on the 1929-30 tour to GB. He was born in NSw but after playing 1 game for the blues he moved to Toowoomba in Queensland and played his representative games for Queensland in the days before State of Origin. In the Centenary Year of league in Australia he was voted no 85 in the top 100 Australian players and is in the Hall of Fame. He played 36 games and scored 4 tries for Hornets.

Chadwick was a rochdale lad who played centre and the #### half from 1924-30.

The green and black hooped hornets player is printed on a handkerchief from the early part of the last century. Hornets changed colours to red white and blue hoops in 1921.

The team photo is from 1897-98, not a great year...won 7 lost 20.

4D9837F3-3BCA-4ACD-915D-40F14207F3A9.jpeg

91D880DE-0445-437F-9A9A-58231195E1E8.jpeg

Another photo of the NU cup team, but in the green and black hoops which was used as a change strip in 1921-2 season. Hornets changed to red white and blue hoops at the start of that season.

The other photo cards are all from the 1922-3 season. If you sent off 25 of the small cards you got a big card of the playerof your choice. You often see these on ebay.

The two Corsis were two of four Corsi brothers who played for Hornets in the 1920s, pictured are Joe and Jack. Joe was in the cup winning team playing Centre. Others who were on the cup winning team were Heaton (half back) Bennett (hooker) Edwards and Paddon (second row forwards), Wild and Kynan (wings) and woods (forward). Paddon got Hornets 2 goals in the final. Fitton (not pictured) got the two tries. Jones and Carter (together with Prince, not pictured) were also awarded cup winners medals for playing in earlier rounds.

Powell was a Wales rugby union international signed from Cardiff. A half back who broke his collar bone in the tour game against Australia in 1921.

Bowers and Jones were both tourists to Australia in 1920 and Bennett toured Australia in 1924.

Harris was a hooker and was sent off (alongside three Australians) in the 1921 game against the touring kangaroos, a game Hornets lost 16-2.

Wild was a local lad in the Cup winning team.

5613A820-3E0E-4147-BB01-B483FA84D091.jpeg

C3FB4CAF-E2BB-4312-BE48-362687C840FD.jpeg

A list of the Rochdale Hornets programmes I need...

46/7 HOME - Widnes RLC, Workington, St Helens, Warrington   AWAY - Liverpool, Oldham, Widnes Lge & Cup

47/8 HOME - Hull, St Helens   AWAY - York, Swinton, Widnes, Wigan Lge, Salford, Castleford, Pemberton RLC, Featherstone, Hull KR

48/9 HOME - Keighley, Hull, Workington  AWAY - York, Swinton, Leigh, Barrow, Featherstone, Oldham

49/5 HOME - Workington, Warrington  AWAY - Wigan, Belle Vue Lancs Cup, Featherstone, Widnes RLC, Swinton, York, St Helens, Oldham, Warrington, Barrow, Keighley

50/1 AWAY - Hull KR, Widnes, Hull, Liverpool, Wigan Lge, Swinton, Bramley, Salford, Belle Vue, York

51/2  HOME - St Helens, Warrington  AWAY - Warrington, Wigan Lge, Swinton, Widnes, St Helens, Belle Vue, Salford, Liverpool, Oldham F & Lge, Cardiff, Featherstone Lge & Cup

52/3 HOME - Warrington, Bramley  AWAY - St Helens Lancs Cup, Wigan Lge, Salford, Liverpool, Barrow

53/4 HOME - Oldham F, Dewsbury  AWAY - Featherstone, Swinton, Liverpool, Widnes, Wigan, Salford, Bramley

54/5 HOME - Salford, Bramley, Oldham, Wigan Feb, Barrow Lge, Liverpool Jan  AWAY - Widnes Jan + Apr, Swinton, Hull KR, York, Liverpool

55/6 HOME - Whitehaven Lge, Stannongley RLC  AWAY - Oldham, Liverpool, Salford Feb + Apr, Swinton

56/7 AWAY - Doncaster, Leigh

57/8 AWAY - Hull KR, Doncaster, Liverpool, Swinton

58/59 AWAY - Oldham, Liverpool

59/60 HOME - Barrow, Workington, Dewsbury, Castleford, Bramley Lge, Warrington  AWAY - Bramley

60/1 HOME - Bramley, York, Dewsbury, Workington, Whitehaven Lge, Liverpool  AWAY - Bramley Lge, Liverpool, Salford Lge

61/2 HOME Doncaster Blackpool Lancs Cup, Bramley  AWAY - Bramley, Liverpool

62/3 HOME Oldham, York  AWAY - Dewsbury

63/4 HOME Oldham 24/863 Liverpool

66/7 HOME - Swinton BBC, Blackpool

67/8 AWAY - Batley

68/9 AWAY - Bramley RLC

69/7 AWAY - Barrow

Thanks for having a look for me..

loving the pictures, keep them coming..

cheers

On 15/05/2020 at 07:21, Anita Bath said:

Programme and line ups from Geoff Kelly’s benefit game...long time servant for the club and selected for Lancashire. In 1970s my mother was a home help and Geoff’s mother was one of her ‘old ladies’. Lovely woman and my mother was distraught when she died.

01FAD51F-96C0-4B4A-975A-022D31C00D99.jpeg

D44E5566-E205-4BED-A8F3-B1168A9EB815.jpeg

Touch judges Joe Heap and Arnold Bagnall. Joe had a long career in RL Even got to be a touch judge at a Wembley final. Cant remember which one, ( someone will come along with the answer I'm sure ) Arnold was on Rochdale council for years.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

On 17/05/2020 at 01:17, upthenets said:

A list of the Rochdale Hornets programmes I need...

46/7 HOME - Widnes RLC, Workington, St Helens, Warrington   AWAY - Liverpool, Oldham, Widnes Lge & Cup

47/8 HOME - Hull, St Helens   AWAY - York, Swinton, Widnes, Wigan Lge, Salford, Castleford, Pemberton RLC, Featherstone, Hull KR

48/9 HOME - Keighley, Hull, Workington  AWAY - York, Swinton, Leigh, Barrow, Featherstone, Oldham

49/5 HOME - Workington, Warrington  AWAY - Wigan, Belle Vue Lancs Cup, Featherstone, Widnes RLC, Swinton, York, St Helens, Oldham, Warrington, Barrow, Keighley

50/1 AWAY - Hull KR, Widnes, Hull, Liverpool, Wigan Lge, Swinton, Bramley, Salford, Belle Vue, York

51/2  HOME - St Helens, Warrington  AWAY - Warrington, Wigan Lge, Swinton, Widnes, St Helens, Belle Vue, Salford, Liverpool, Oldham F & Lge, Cardiff, Featherstone Lge & Cup

52/3 HOME - Warrington, Bramley  AWAY - St Helens Lancs Cup, Wigan Lge, Salford, Liverpool, Barrow

53/4 HOME - Oldham F, Dewsbury  AWAY - Featherstone, Swinton, Liverpool, Widnes, Wigan, Salford, Bramley

54/5 HOME - Salford, Bramley, Oldham, Wigan Feb, Barrow Lge, Liverpool Jan  AWAY - Widnes Jan + Apr, Swinton, Hull KR, York, Liverpool

55/6 HOME - Whitehaven Lge, Stannongley RLC  AWAY - Oldham, Liverpool, Salford Feb + Apr, Swinton

56/7 AWAY - Doncaster, Leigh

57/8 AWAY - Hull KR, Doncaster, Liverpool, Swinton

58/59 AWAY - Oldham, Liverpool

59/60 HOME - Barrow, Workington, Dewsbury, Castleford, Bramley Lge, Warrington  AWAY - Bramley

60/1 HOME - Bramley, York, Dewsbury, Workington, Whitehaven Lge, Liverpool  AWAY - Bramley Lge, Liverpool, Salford Lge

61/2 HOME Doncaster Blackpool Lancs Cup, Bramley  AWAY - Bramley, Liverpool

62/3 HOME Oldham, York  AWAY - Dewsbury

63/4 HOME Oldham 24/863 Liverpool

66/7 HOME - Swinton BBC, Blackpool

67/8 AWAY - Batley

68/9 AWAY - Bramley RLC

69/7 AWAY - Barrow

Thanks for having a look for me..

loving the pictures, keep them coming..

cheers

Only thing I have from your list is Oldham at home 63-4 24 August (division 2). You are welcome to it. Ill list my needs later in case you can help me with any.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 18:31, ArthurDaley said:

Touch judges Joe Heap and Arnold Bagnall. Joe had a long career in RL Even got to be a touch judge at a Wembley final. Cant remember which one, ( someone will come along with the answer I'm sure ) Arnold was on Rochdale council for years.

One of the touchjudges was my dad Joe Heap who absolutely lived and breathed Rugby League much to my mothers dismay.

He was, quite correctly, one of the touchjudges at Wembley and to see him when he got the news of his appointment from the RL was so special to him and the family.

For the record the final was 1972  Leeds v St Helens.

Very happy memories indeed

Arnold was on the local council for some years and did eventually become Rochdales mayor

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

19 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Only thing I have from your list is Oldham at home 63-4 24 August (division 2). You are welcome to it. Ill list my needs later in case you can help me with any.

Thank you very much for that...

Most of my spares are from 70s and 80s

Post a list and I will check them out..

Archived