Jack Robinson RIP

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Our sport needs warriors like him right now

RIP

Robinson was Chairman after Lindsay left and was one of the group who ran up massive debts and drove the club to the point of bankruptcy which ended up in the sale of Central Park to Tesco, probably the darkest day in the club's history.

That money was used to pay off the club debts with no alternate home stadium arranged, amongst other things from that time I remember him suggesting the club may go and rent the Reebok Stadium to play out of.

He was part of the group which lead Wigan out of Division 2 and on to unprecedented glory and worldwide fame for the club, but that was with Lindsay very much at the helm and driving the club. To support and maintain this succcess Wigan's business model evolved to become based on getting to Wembley each year, which eventually and inevitably ended.

When the big Sky money turned up in 1996 it was used by Robinson to pay players over-inflated contracts and not to service the club debt which continued to spiral upwards (Robinson wasn't alone in this, numerous other clubs did exactly the same).

He was a huge Wigan and RL fan who certainly did not want things to end that way but he did not balance the books, invest his own money when times got hard or build any non-RL income for the club.

I do not agree that he is the sort of person the sport needs right now.

12 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Robinson was Chairman after Lindsay left and was one of the group who ran up massive debts and drove the club to the point of bankruptcy which ended up in the sale of Central Park to Tesco, probably the darkest day in the club's history.

That money was used to pay off the club debts with no alternate home stadium arranged, amongst other things from that time I remember him suggesting the club may go and rent the Reebok Stadium to play out of.

He was part of the group which lead Wigan out of Division 2 and on to unprecedented glory and worldwide fame for the club, but that was with Lindsay very much at the helm and driving the club. To support and maintain this succcess Wigan's business model evolved to become based on getting to Wembley each year, which eventually and inevitably ended.

When the big Sky money turned up in 1996 it was used by Robinson to pay players over-inflated contracts and not to service the club debt which continued to spiral upwards (Robinson wasn't alone in this, numerous other clubs did exactly the same).

He was a huge Wigan and RL fan who certainly did not want things to end that way but he did not balance the books, invest his own money when times got hard or build any non-RL income for the club.

I do not agree that he is the sort of person the sport needs right now.

What an appaling thing to post and think at a time like this both personally for his family and loved ones and generally as well.

Think on Whippet, keep safe and stay well.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 minutes ago, Oxford said:

What an appaling thing to post and think at a time like this both personally for his family and loved ones and generally as well.

Think on Whippet, keep safe and stay well.

What an appauling interpretation of my post!

I have not said at any point that he was a wonderful or horrible person and have given nothing but balanced historical facts including that he was a huge fan of Wigan and RL and helped take the club to a level of glory and fame which no club will ever match.

I have clearly pointed out that there was both good and bad to his tenure at the club and delivered no judgement either in favour or against his personality.

I'd be genuinely interested to read wny you think he is someone the game could use right now.

You stay safe too.

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I have not said at any point that he was a wonderful or horrible person and have given nothing but balanced historical facts including that he was a huge fan of Wigan and RL and helped take the club to a level of glory and fame which no club will ever match.

I have clearly pointed out that there was both good and bad to his tenure at the club and delivered no judgement either in favour or against his personality.

I'd be genuinely interested to read wny you think he is someone the game could use right now.

You stay safe too.

Balanced historical facts.

Fake news.

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

You stay safe too.

You took time out to dig up the past and speak ill of someone who's died.

RIP Mr Robinson

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

As I said, not made any judgement on him as a person and I'm sorry if you think I was trying to be offensive, I was not. From my dealings with him at the time he seemed a perfectly ordinary bloke.

Well they can't defend themselves for a start.

It upsets those at the time of grieving.

It is a massive over simplification of the events.

I suspect the man gave ridiculous amounts of time the club.

I suspect the man gave a fair chunk of money.

I suspect the events caused many sleepless nights.

He was one of a team of people running the club

Archived