Wigan v Bath on Sky

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Tyson v Sonny Bill Williams, Wigan v Bath useless and as interesting as Grommit v Mickey Mouse.

Sky have got more brilliant games than soft mick and that's what we're trearted to, brilliant!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A nice short feature on Inga included here.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I can't recall hearing him speak before. He seems like a great guy, as well as a great player.

One of my all-time favourite players, let alone cross-code signings.

He's now in the funeral director business, and handled ceremonies for the late king of Tonga, Taufa'ahau Tupou IV.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

Awesome. Have been trying to find the dvds of the full games for years

I bought a 2-disc set from Micron Video quite a few years ago, which had the cross-code matches and Wigan's Middlesex Sevens exploits as well. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

Mike Tyson v Sonny Bill Williams, Wigan v Bath useless and as interesting as Grommit v Mickey Mouse.

Sky have got more brilliant games than soft mick and that's what we're trearted to, brilliant!

I agree with you, the RL game was a one sided slaughter and though the RU score was closer even as a Wigan fan I have no desire to watch either game. A documentary on the games like the BBC did for the Watersplash final would have been a better bet than repeating the two games. Particularly when Sky told everyone the scores in their pieces promoting the re-showing. Such a documentary would have been better to show next year rather than this (I appreciate they are filling time but even so) as that will be the 25th anniversary.

As you say there have been many great and dramatic/historic games they could have shown instead of the Wigan v Bath games. 

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I can't recall hearing him speak before. He seems like a great guy, as well as a great player.

I loved hearing him describe how much more scope RL gave him as a player than he had in RU.

12 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I agree with you, the RL game was a one sided slaughter and though the RU score was closer even as a Wigan fan I have no desire to watch either game. A documentary on the games like the BBC did for the Watersplash final would have been a better bet than repeating the two games. Particularly when Sky told everyone the scores in their pieces promoting the re-showing. Such a documentary would have been better to show next year rather than this (I appreciate they are filling time but even so) as that will be the 25th anniversary.

As you say there have been many great and dramatic/historic games they could have shown instead of the Wigan v Bath games. 

The RL match might have less one-sided with the team scored against kicking off to restart play every time.  More of the play would likely have been in Wigan's half if that had been the case.

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I loved hearing him describe how much more scope RL gave him as a player than he had in RU.

The RL match might have less one-sided with the team scored against kicking off to restart play every time.  More of the play would likely have been in Wigan's half if that had been the case.

I don't think it would have made that much difference to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I doubt it would have made much difference to the scoreline had the rule for restarts after scoring been as it is now (and also had been prior to 1996). The rule had only been changed to the scoring team kicking off that season in an attempt to make games closer. It didn't make any difference and was soon changed back.

Regardless of any difference it could have made had any of the rules been different, of the games Sky will show tonight the RL game was a total procession. I doubt it will hold most viewers' interest to the end, possibly not even until half time.

4 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I doubt it would have made much difference to the scoreline had the rule for restarts after scoring been as it is now (and also had been prior to 1996). The rule had only been changed to the scoring team kicking off that season in an attempt to make games closer. It didn't make any difference and was soon changed back.

Regardless of any difference it could have made had any of the rules been different, of the games Sky will show tonight the RL game was a total procession. I doubt it will hold most viewers' interest to the end, possibly not even until half time.

That would probably depend on how long it would have taken the Bath players to work out that they needed to kick off long instead of short as in Union, though they might have won possession on some short kickoffs too and thereby had at least some possession in Wigan's half instead of routinely having it deep in their half.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That would probably depend on how long it would have taken the Bath players to work out that they needed to kick off long instead of short as in Union, though they might have won possession on some short kickoffs too and thereby had at least some possession in Wigan's half instead of routinely having it deep in their half.

Watch the match. It wouldn't have made any difference.

44 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Haven't your buttocks worn the varnish off that hobby-horse's saddle already? Both approaches were tried in RL, and very little difference was noted in the final scores. It is not, and has never been, a magic portal to an imagined golden age - In Rugby League, the better side on the day almost always wins because the game is not as simple as who kicks off after a score.

I almost miss the days when you posted about how shared pitch markings were the mark of Satan in every single ###### thread.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Haven't your buttocks worn the varnish off that hobby-horse's saddle already? Both approaches were tried in RL, and very little difference was noted in the final scores. It is not, and has never been, a magic portal to an imagined golden age - In Rugby League, the better side on the day almost always wins because the game is not as simple as who kicks off after a score.

I almost miss the days when you posted about how shared pitch markings were the mark of Satan in every single ###### thread.

In fact it did make a difference, at least it did at first.  The points difference of the top team in SL during the three years when the scoring kicked off averaged 20.96 per match.  In 1999 the top team's average points difference was only 15.06667, a full 1/4 less.  Likewise in 1997 when the game in Australia was split, the average points difference of the Australian SL's top team was 11 points per match as compared to the ARL's top team whose average points difference was 7.045 points per match.  QED

It's not just a question of the final scores either, the play is more varied and interesting when the team scored against kicks off than when the scoring team kicks off.

12 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

What would have made a difference is if Wigan had kept their best team on the pitch for longer, it would have been over 100.

I think the point had been made early on. What was good about this two-match series is that they got to play a whole game under each code's rules. In both cases, the "away" team did much better in the second half then they did in the first. At Maine Road, Bath really got stuck in in the second half and, while they lacked the skills and experience, they slowed the Wigan onslaught* and actually got on the scoreboard themselves. At Twickenham, Wigan had more success in the second half too.

Compare that to the St Helens v Sale match which was 40 minutes each way. Both sides just played their own type of game and hoped that they'd hang on and score more under their own rules than the other.

*diplomatic substitutions or not, what Wigan brought to the RL match was way beyond Bath's comprehension or abilities.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Listening to Terry O'Connor say that they were told to ease off at half time and only played the 2nd half with 11 men. If I recall correctly they played with 12 for a good chunk of the first half too. Similarly the way Bath took it easy in the scrums etc too. Both teams could have won by far more if they wanted to in their respective games.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Listening to Terry O'Connor say that they were told to ease off at half time and only played the 2nd half with 11 men. If I recall correctly they played with 12 for a good chunk of the first half too. Similarly the way Bath took it easy in the scrums etc too. Both teams could have won by far more if they wanted to in their respective games.

Both clubs understood that it could have been a bad TV spectacle if they hadn't allowed certain concessions, like Bath being given unlimited substitutions in the RL match. I think both Bath and Wigan handled the two games with a lot of intelligence. The series decider could have been more clear if they'd faced each other in the Middlesex Sevens, but Bath sat that year's tournament out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wonder if they'll mention Guscott bottling it and sitting out both games.

i remember him being on Question of sport not long after, and being asked why he didn't take part. His excuse/reason being he didn't agree with the concept and thought it pointless. Yeah right.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

43 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I wonder if they'll mention Guscott bottling it and sitting out both games.

i remember him being on Question of sport not long after, and being asked why he didn't take part. His excuse/reason being he didn't agree with the concept and thought it pointless. Yeah right.

It wasn't pointless enough for him to turn down a gig on radio for the game

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Archived