V E day - celebrations.

I thought I would start a VE day thread. I have put it here as it is not intended for political comments please.

People in our street have bunting and flags.

My stepdaughter is wearing her uniform all day. 

It's a nice atmosphere. 

Is anyone else doing anything within the confines of the lockdown?

13 minutes ago, Niels said:

I thought I would start a VE day thread. I have put it here as it is not intended for political comments please.

People in our street have bunting and flags.

My stepdaughter is wearing her uniform all day. 

It's a nice atmosphere. 

Is anyone else doing anything within the confines of the lockdown?

Live in a cul de sac , all going out around 3 , loads of flags and bunting , be socially distancing and drinking alchohol

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Live in a cul de sac , all going out around 3 , loads of flags and bunting , be socially distancing and drinking alchohol

Great. The weather is ideal for it. 

Have a good time. 

I've got some scones, some clotted cream and some jam.

We must each celebrate in our own way.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A few Union Jack and St George (why?) flags here and there on visit to supermarket. Only 2nd time I've queued to get in, in the 7 weeks, as I've mainly tried to go at quieter times 

A bit of gardening for me, and then reading Europe by Rail in the sunshine, and a couple of bottles of cider later

Bunting up, union jack cushions about the place, ordered some cakes from a lovely bakers locally who designed some union jack cupcakes for me and my Mum, 40s music on the CD player, enjoying the sunshine and watching the various VE related stuff on the TV.  About to eat those scrummy cakes with tea at 3 ? 

Lots of flags and bunting about our way and street parties / afternoon teas planned . Really is stirring stuff , very rousing and makes you proud to be british and wanna get stuck in ... maybe invade the Isle of Man 

Can I be unpopular here....?

I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the nationalism and the rubbing of german noses well and truly in it. Time for me at least to draw a line.

Remembrance is a different issue. 55m died in that conflict. To safeguard our futures. Remembrance is important..... to me.

Tonight I shall enjoy a quiet glass with the memsahib. No flags. No bunting. I shall exchange a few messages with a german pal and quietly abstain from the proceedings. 

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the nationalism and the rubbing of german noses well and truly in it. Time for me at least to draw a line.

Remembrance is a different issue. 55m died in that conflict. To safeguard our futures. Remembrance is important..... to me.

Tonight I shall enjoy a quiet glass with the memsahib. No flags. No bunting. I shall exchange a few messages with a german pal and quietly abstain from the proceedings. 

It's a public holiday today in Berlin Robin also, to celebrate the birth of democracy and to commemorate those who fought the nazis.

It's a public holiday in many European countries also.

We live on a pretty busy side street (bus route), near on everyone has bunting up, all sat out, music going, I've dragged the barbecue through, had an artic tractor unit decorated in HFH and Remember them stuff up the street blaring the air horns.....its been great. It's an occasion to celebrate.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

It's a public holiday today in Berlin Robin also, to celebrate the birth of democracy and to commemorate those who fought the nazis.

Yes. First time ever.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Indeed. There was what you might hope was a typo in the Mail this week where they referred to "Victory over Europe".

But I'm in a fairly forgiving mood. I'll assume that most people who are doing it are mostly decent people who just want to celebrate something. There are times when it's right to call out the unthinking jingoism that accompanies a lot of British history but I can let that slide today.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

maybe invade the Isle of Man 

They've probably got a bigger navy than us these days.

Spend a couple of months in Northern Ireland over the summer and you will see what rubbing people's noses in it is really like!

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Spend a couple of months in Northern Ireland over the summer and you will see what rubbing people's noses in it is really like!

Never been. I'm told it's a wonderful place. It's just a place I'm a bit scared of.... even now. 

We were on the somme two years ago. Went to grand mine, Delville wood, Beaumont-Hamil and other sites and spent most of the day in tears.

We went to one graveyard with 1300 graves of lads lost in a battle of absolutely no strategic importance.  An absolutely futile loss of life.

On the drive home we stopped at another graveyard. A german one. It was no less harrowing.  No less upsetting. No less poignant. Young lads dead way too early in their lives.

Remembrance to me is important as is diplomacy at avoiding war.... on any scale.

In my world I need all the friends I can get. Yeh I'm an old hippy that doesn't eat lentils. I'll live with that.

Lord Haw-Haw Farridge using it as a dog-whistle for racial hatred - the people who thought like him lost in 1945, so he should, to use his favourite phrase, "get over it".

Competitive neighbours trying to be more overtly celebratory than everyone else on the street - just as bad as competitive NHS clapping/fireworks/showing off on a Thursday evening. Social onanists or bunting w@nkers.

Tipping a hat, taking a quiet moment or raising a glass of slosh to a whole lot of people, not all of whom were "heroes" but who collectively achieved the right result back then - grown-up behaviour.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was just pondering that whilst out walking the dog. We won't be doing anything, although I did pause from my work this morning to observe two minutes silence. I think in the circumstances, I prefer to commemorate rather than celebrate. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived