TWP again - how dare they.......

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Great news , but no mention of whereabouts they are going to operate ?

It does mention one area.    “Finally the initiative will give support to projects within the immediate area of the Wolfpack’s UK training base, which are currently being delivered by Hopwood Hall College and League 1 side Rochdale Hornets.”

Could they tie in with Manchester Rangers in any shape or form?  

31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

...open a Foundation and have plans to have Women, PDRL etc.

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/toronto-wolfpack-confirm-plans-for-a-uk-foundation/

Tin hat time.

Very commendable, but I can't see why they are not majoring on the game at home expanding on the FULL80 programme they have taken in to the Toronto communities, this programme in the UK is not going to be free to initiate, introduce and maintain so why not help out the struggling Canadian RL, where do those who have been introduced to the game in Toronto go next, is there a strategic pathway in place?

I have said it many times and have been lambasted on these pages, but to me expansion is about growing participation numbers playing the sport and not just bringing a team to town and increasing veiwers on the terraces, which in itself is very good, but on it's own will in time flounder.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very commendable, but I can't see why they are not majoring on the game at home expanding on the FULL80 programme they have taken in to the Toronto communities, this programme in the UK is not going to be free to initiate, introduce and maintain so why not help out the struggling Canadian RL, where do those who have been introduced to the game in Toronto go next, is there a strategic pathway in place?

I have said it many times and have been lambasted on these pages, but to me expansion is about growing participation numbers playing the sport and not just bringing a team to town and increasing veiwers on the terraces, which in itself is very good, but on it's own will in time flounder.

Indeed, the programmes and events held in Toronto to inspire and activate Juniors are, at the moment meaningless and futile as they have absolutely no follow on RL infrastructure. The Wolfpack in particular and the sport in general do not benefit one iota, in fact the only benefit is to Rugby Union, as can be seen by the official partners to the Wolfpacks Canadian foundation events. (Unionist) 

Whilst their endeavours in this area on both sides of the Atlantic are to be commended. I guess. These efforts would be better directed by encouraging & assisting IRL affiliated and sanctioned organisations in Ontario to start a functioning Junior Rugby League, with an initial 6 ish Clubs each with several age grades. So recruiting and educating Ontario RL coaches and referees and starting an ORL volunteer programme would be many times more helpful at present. 

Canadian Football League (Canadian version of the NFL with 3 downs) close to cancelling season (June to November 2020)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-randy-ambrosie-house-of-commons-testimony-1.5560467

Probable final nail in the coffin of any Toronto games in Canada this year

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Canadian Football League (Canadian version of the NFL with 3 downs) close to cancelling season (June to November 2020)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-randy-ambrosie-house-of-commons-testimony-1.5560467

Probable final nail in the coffin of any Toronto games in Canada this year

This is more serious than a season cancellation as the whole league faces financial ruin. Unlike most NA sports, the CFL does not get the majority of its income from TV, it relies heavily on gate receipts and community support, with the result being some pretty precarious balance sheets. They have appealed to the Federal Government for support, but most people on the street disagree, especially as Canada’s economy, like the rest of the developed world, is taking a battering, and CFL isn’t exactly a sport loved by everyone.

The big issue is that if you look at the reopening plans for Canada’s provinces, only one, BC actually has some form of timeline for professional sport, that currently says sport behind closed doors from September, with fans is not until a vaccine is found. Every other province seems not to want to disclose their plans. The one thing that remains consistent however is that all provinces have an international travel ban and a 14 day quarantine period for arrivals, so I would agree, no games in Canada this year, and until we know how any second wave scenario has played out, I would guess none in 2021 either.

I have thought that Toronto could open an Academy/operate a Reserve team here under their name and I wonder if this is going to be the start of it? It can only be a good thing for the game and for Toronto as a club in the short term, while investing in Canada for the longer term. 

9 hours ago, Oldbear said:

This is more serious than a season cancellation as the whole league faces financial ruin. Unlike most NA sports, the CFL does not get the majority of its income from TV, it relies heavily on gate receipts and community support, with the result being some pretty precarious balance sheets. They have appealed to the Federal Government for support, but most people on the street disagree, especially as Canada’s economy, like the rest of the developed world, is taking a battering, and CFL isn’t exactly a sport loved by everyone.

The big issue is that if you look at the reopening plans for Canada’s provinces, only one, BC actually has some form of timeline for professional sport, that currently says sport behind closed doors from September, with fans is not until a vaccine is found. Every other province seems not to want to disclose their plans. The one thing that remains consistent however is that all provinces have an international travel ban and a 14 day quarantine period for arrivals, so I would agree, no games in Canada this year, and until we know how any second wave scenario has played out, I would guess none in 2021 either.

If financial ruin does come to the CFL this Canadian for one will be happy.  They have gradually turned the great Canadian game which was a precursor or RL as can be seen in the video footage below from the 1920s (when despite the original form of play-the-ball introduced back in 1880 having been sidelined in favour of the imported snapback method of restarting play by that time is easily recognized as being just like RL) into a pale second-rate version of the brain damage ball created by our southern neighbours, so I say a pox on them.

The death of the CFL - and once upon a time that was my favourite sport - will not be mourned by me. It is a third-rate game now - a good NCAA team could beat any CFL team, when once upon a time a good CFL team was competitive with a lesser NFL team. I say let the CFL go and its fans can go back to the game's roots and follow their local university teams. Most of which are already on life-support.

Besides, the death of the CFL opens the door for rugby. And with teams in Toronto and Ottawa already it would put RL one up on RU who only have the one team and they are part of a league very likely to be killed off by Covid-19 as well.

16 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I’d dig a foxhole too,the negative police will be all over this.

CORRECTION

They already are.

Nothing at all negative in those posts Dav just constructive comments, perhaps it could help if people stopped burying their head in the sand and actually see the situation for what it is, I don't expect anything more than your usual emoji but I will try, what is the next progressive step in the Toronto districts for all those who have been introduced to the sport through the FULL80 program, please point me to it as I am very interested to be advised that something is in place.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Good to see Toronto plan to continue investing in rugby in, er, Rochdale. Oop t’Wolfpack!

Good to see you haven't read the article before getting your usual cheap digs in.

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Good to see you haven't read the article before getting your usual cheap digs in.

Was trying to be positive, Davo. I’m genuinely pleased Toronto wants to stimulate healthy communities by putting balls in kids’ hands. 

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nothing at all negative in those posts Dav just constructive comments, perhaps it could help if people stopped burying their head in the sand and actually see the situation for what it is, I don't expect anything more than your usual emoji but I will try, what is the next progressive step in the Toronto districts for all those who have been introduced to the sport through the FULL80 program, please point me to it as I am very interested to be advised that something is in place.

Why don't you message the Wolfpack yourself and find out.

I messaged their Facebook page a year or so ago and they put me through to one of the guys in charge before Bob Hunter. I was just hoping to get some questions answered over email but he was willing to have a chat over the phone. Never got to do so because the time difference made it difficult and lost contact after I asked if he was located in the Uk.   

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

If financial ruin does come to the CFL this Canadian for one will be happy.  They have gradually turned the great Canadian game which was a precursor or RL as can be seen in the video footage below from the 1920s (when despite the original form of play-the-ball introduced back in 1880 having been sidelined in favour of the imported snapback method of restarting play by that time is easily recognized as being just like RL) into a pale second-rate version of the brain damage ball created by our southern neighbours, so I say a pox on them.

Great video, two questions were those the highlights and did anyone actually score in any of them?

As for TWP damned if they do, damned if they don't & damned at all points in between!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

32 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Why don't you message the Wolfpack yourself and find out.

I messaged their Facebook page a year or so ago and they put me through to one of the guys in charge before Bob Hunter. I was just hoping to get some questions answered over email but he was willing to have a chat over the phone. Never got to do so because the time difference made it difficult and lost contact after I asked if he was located in the Uk.   

I should imagine Omott that if there was any answers available to the questions I posed it would have been shouted loud and clear about "the structured pathways" or "the grassroots format" by the Toronto fans on this site if nothing other than to inform doubters like me.

Likewise why would the Canadian Rugby League be keeping quiet about positive advances to the game over there, it just does not make sense if something is in place to expand and grow on the FULL80 initiative to keep it quiet, does it?

11 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Great video, two questions were those the highlights and did anyone actually score in any of them?

As for TWP damned if they do, damned if they don't & damned at all points in between!

All I want Oxy is someone to tell me what is being done to grow the game in Canada, all those who are pro the NA 'expansion' don't come forward with any explanation when the question is posed. The FULL80 is very good and I see it as casting the seeds, but to grow those seeds need nurturing and attending to flourish and grow, without that they may as well be cast on a concrete road.

Can you advise me please.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

But Harry, the OP is about what they are doing here, not in Canada - where it appears they are doing the same.  

I'm not sure if they now have access to Sky Try.  Might be not the case, but using that initiative would give statistics on how many they had engaged with directly to the RFL.

49 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

All I want Oxy is someone to tell me what is being done to grow the game in Canada, all those who are pro the NA 'expansion' don't come forward with any explanation when the question is posed. The FULL80 is very good and I see it as casting the seeds, but to grow those seeds need nurturing and attending to flourish and grow, without that they may as well be cast on a concrete road.

Can you advise me please.

I live near Wokingham why would you ask me about Canada unless Reading is full of Canucks which it may well be for all I know.

They did mention on the TWP website that they're doing stuff in Canada but they're saying they want to do something for the game in the UK and that can't be bad, can it?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

But Harry, the OP is about what they are doing here, not in Canada - where it appears they are doing the same.  

I'm not sure if they now have access to Sky Try.  Might be not the case, but using that initiative would give statistics on how many they had engaged with directly to the RFL.

But read what I said previously in my first post LD, I suggested if Toronto are going to spend money over here which I should imagine they will have to do, it would be better spent promoting the game in Canada, I have asked numerous times in this thread now, after the introduction through their seemingly excellent FULL80 programme to the good people of those Toronto districts, what is the next rung in the ladder for the converts, how do they advance in their appreciation of the game and get further involvement?

PS, C'mon Dav stop hiding behind the couch, you have criticised me for simply asking a question, let us all share in your wisdom please, tell us what you know.

13 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I live near Wokingham why would you ask me about Canada unless Reading is full of Canucks which it may well be for all I know.

They did mention on the TWP website that they're doing stuff in Canada but they're saying they want to do something for the game in the UK and that can't be bad, can it?

You have the better of me Oxy, I have not read about the "stuff" they are doing in Canada only the FULL80 programme, is there in place any structure or even suggested pathway to take advantage of those who having tried want more?

Archived