Hello from Victoria, Canada! How has everyone been!?

I have just set foot on dry land for the first time in about 60 days.  When the COVID 19 restrictions were put in place, I and a few other lucky souls in the Armed Forces were sequestered to our warship where we spent the next 60 days sailing around, remaining "healthy".

20200413LZAC0193D0010.thumb.jpg.152ceca910f5ccf81b1fc50fcc320eab.jpg

Needless to say, I have absolutely no idea what's going on and all the physical distancing measures are kind of strange after just having spent two months in a sardine can with 200ish of my best friends. 

How is everyone holding up?  I for one can't wait for Rugby League to get started up again and miss watching TWP.  How are things in the UK atm?

In British Columbia, things are quite good.  The virus was brought under control here very quickly and active cases are declining.  The danger now is a new outbreak which is why physical distancing restrictions remain in place.

Braaiiinnnsss... brraaaiiinnsss....

The_Walking_Dead_TV_502082_3840x2400.0.j

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:The danger now is a new outbreak which is why physical distancing restrictions remain in place.

Fingers crossed the new wave of cases we’ll get here this week, because social distancing went out of the window here yesterday due to street parties and congas, is a form of natural selection. 

Have to say here in sunny and hot Vancouver that traffic is way up on the past few weeks, plus a lot of boats being pulled behind trucks. Where they are going I’m not sure because most of BC’s parks are not due to open till May19 (after the Victoria Day long weekend). Maybe as it’s Mother’s Day tomorrow a lot of mums are getting boats as gifts, or maybe the stay home resolve is weakening as the temperature is rising. I was just hoping we could hold firm for a bit longer.

Pretty good so far in Australia...

These are the latest stats for the country.

Here in Canberra I’ve been able to go fishing and hiking the whole time and restaurants do takeaway and home delivery ... so far so good.

In Canberra we’ve had 107 cases (103 have recovered and 3 deaths). This leaves us with one known active case in Canberra.

Children in Canberra will start returning to school in just over a week. 

The NRL will also hopefully restart on 28 May without crowds.

I hope complacency doesn’t become a problem after such a good start. 

39433D4B-AB05-4653-A4A6-CA5A577C4EC0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Pretty good so far in Australia...

These are the latest stats for the country.

Here in Canberra I’ve been able to go fishing and hiking the whole time and restaurants do takeaway and home delivery ... so far so good.

In Canberra we’ve had 107 cases (103 have recovered and 3 deaths). This leaves us with one known active case in Canberra.

Children in Canberra will start returning to school in just over a week. 

The NRL will also hopefully restart on 28 May without crowds.

I hope complacency doesn’t become a problem after such a good start. 

39433D4B-AB05-4653-A4A6-CA5A577C4EC0.jpeg

Excellent stats.   Well done Australia.

19 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Excellent stats.   Well done Australia.

Canada is going extremely well considering you share a border with Plague Central to the south.

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Canada is going extremely well considering you share a border with Plague Central to the south.

Thanks Copa but I do wish we were tracking lower on a daily basis with new cases.  We go lower for a couple days and then it increases. It is not consistent.  And re. the border with our southern friends.....you are correct since it is not an irrevocably "closed" border.  Non-essential crossings are barred, but essential "emergency-type" crossings are allowed, and also 100's of thousands of "essential workers" cross it every day, each way, for work.  So, to be honest, the border is really quite porous.   Stay safe.

Unfortunately the UK have been very lax in regard to the virus  and things are not too good there.

They never had a proper lockdown, there are still lots coming into the UK including those that are crossing the Channel.

Just hope things improve quickly.It's worrying when you have lots of family there.

15 hours ago, SL17 said:

Who gave you permission to return to port?

They mutinied. And because of Covid-19 hardly anyone noticed.

3 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

BTW, we were -4 degrees  this morning with a centimetre of snow, it is currently +4 degrees and tomorrow the High is to be a balmy +8 degrees with rain.

Here in Newcastle, Australia it is currently a cold +16 degrees but have got the fire burning.

It goes to show that us Aussies down here don't deal well with the cold. ?

7 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Here in Newcastle, Australia it is currently a cold +16 degrees but have got the fire burning.

It goes to show that us Aussies down here don't deal well with the cold. ?

16 is cold????  You guys don't have the foggiest idea what cold is.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I went to New York in Feb/March 2019 and spent the week on average at about -3 degrees. It was surreal and also the first time I have ever seen snow.

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It’s all what your body is used to. Australians born and raised in the tropics can go through an adjustment period once they leave the tropics and move south. from the tropics. 

It gets down to -8 in Canberra. I’ve met Europeans from significantly colder countries who say they’ve never felt cold in their life until they moved to Canberra... that’s because many of Canberra’s homes are built to the same standards as houses in the warm parts of Australia: poorly insulated boxes. Of course they are only referring to the housing. Outside it’s fine in Canberra as we generally get the cold without the snow and the sun is usually shining.

4BE77AD4-AE05-42C3-913D-C88CB908525E.jpeg

6 hours ago, Copa said:

It’s all what your body is used to. Australians born and raised in the tropics can go through an adjustment period once they leave the tropics and move south. from the tropics. 

It gets down to -8 in Canberra. I’ve met Europeans from significantly colder countries who say they’ve never felt cold in their life until they moved to Canberra... that’s because many of Canberra’s homes are built to the same standards as houses in the warm parts of Australia: poorly insulated boxes. Of course they are only referring to the housing. Outside it’s fine in Canberra as we generally get the cold without the snow and the sun is usually shining.

4BE77AD4-AE05-42C3-913D-C88CB908525E.jpeg

That's Balmy in Barrow, a landlord told me that when I went to watch SRD play there.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived