Campbell wants return to action

Players and referees can't social distance. Imposing social distancing in crowds would be nigh on impossible especially if alcohol is added to the equation. Much as I'd like to see a return, think 2020 is pretty much a write-off. The virus isn't becoming less lethal, deaths and infections are falling because people are mostly staying at home. And if we did go ahead and a number of players in a team got infected can they postpone? What about the risk to the players families? 

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Their are currently 14 strains of Covid-19.. Get real Campbell.

It's not just Mark who wants to get real, there's plenty on here got big ideas about playing again this season. And the government are now saying Be alert not stay at home - crazy! 

3 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

And the government are now saying Be alert not stay at home - crazy! 

Quite right what the government is saying is a complete gonads up! What you're hearing from many businesses and Mr Campbell is real worry. They are not the same, though they'll end up with the same results.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, MADREDNIGE said:

It's not just Mark who wants to get real, there's plenty on here got big ideas about playing again this season. And the government are now saying Be alert not stay at home - crazy! 

Not crazy really , as Dominic Raab stated 10 minutes ago , " common sense " , I really don't see how else he is going to do this 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Not crazy really , as Dominic Raab stated 10 minutes ago , " common sense " , I really don't see how else he is going to do this 

Common sense like imposing a strict 14 day quarantine on anyone coming into the country. Unless they're coming from France.

But enough of the political thread.

League 1 must be considered a write off now and the Championship must be getting very close to it. Entertainment (loosely defined) venues aren't even being considered for reopening before July at the earliest - and that would be under social distancing rules.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Common sense like imposing a strict 14 day quarantine on anyone coming into the country. Unless they're coming from France.

But enough of the political thread.

League 1 must be considered a write off now and the Championship must be getting very close to it. Entertainment (loosely defined) venues aren't even being considered for reopening before July at the earliest - and that would be under social distancing rules.

Some interesting media pictures from Germany today.  (BBC24). People being served outside restaurants, no face masks.

On Campbell’s comments - imo he’s got a valid point regarding Elstones comments. It is the RFL decision, not his.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Some interesting media pictures from Germany today.  (BBC24). People being served outside restaurants, no face masks.

On Campbell’s comments - imo he’s got a valid point regarding Elstones comments. It is the RFL decision, not his.

Neither is it Campbell's 

All owners want to return to action and it’s none of their calls.  

Elstone said “if we’re not there yet (agreeing to cancel), it seems very likely to me that we will arrive at that point in the near future”.  Campbell isn’t disagreeing but he stating it’s the RFL to decide, which was agree last year.

He said: “At Featherstone, we want to get this season back up and running. Even if we didn’t start until August I still believe we could finish the season and play a Grand Final in early January if needed.

Seems quite clear he thinks Fev have a shot at promotion.  Personally, I’ve already said that imo Leigh are favourites.  Of course, it could all come to nothing.

11 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Players and referees can't social distance. Imposing social distancing in crowds would be nigh on impossible especially if alcohol is added to the equation. Much as I'd like to see a return, think 2020 is pretty much a write-off. The virus isn't becoming less lethal, deaths and infections are falling because people are mostly staying at home. And if we did go ahead and a number of players in a team got infected can they postpone? What about the risk to the players families? 

ballboys and waterboys would have one hell of a job sorting out that out too,if each player had his own bottle thats one hell of an headache.turnstiles,catering for lads,its a minfield that i doubt will happen for a long time.i just hope if its next year you fellas get to kick on from were you was as it were looking mighty fine for you.

45 minutes ago, silverback said:

ballboys and waterboys would have one hell of a job sorting out that out too,if each player had his own bottle thats one hell of an headache.turnstiles,catering for lads,its a minfield that i doubt will happen for a long time.i just hope if its next year you fellas get to kick on from were you was as it were looking mighty fine for you.

I think the Germans,for their Bundesliga,are having to disinfect the balls.

I don't think too many parents will be allowing their children to be ball persons in the stadia.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 minute ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think the Germans,for their Bundesliga,are having to disinfect the balls.

I don't think too many parents will be allowing their children to be ball persons in the stadia.

what,everytime goalkeeper grabs it,? bit harder for rugby to keep a clean ball unless everyones tested before game,price a tests i doubt that will happen.i just cant see how the water carriers could cope if its a red hot day of the game.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Germany's death rate and infection rate are lower than here (I believe, despite the spike they seem to be experiencing currently), they have greater testing capacity and have also said they will move back to more restrictions if there are too many new cases.

And with all that only the top two football divisions are returning and every other sport remains postponed or cancelled.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, silverback said:

Pretty easy to do, sell connected seats to family members as a single trans action, alternate rows with a 2 seat gap between transactions. No tickets on day and terraces closed, same queues as supermarkets at turn styles . We could get 2500-3500 in and Fev 1500 or so. 

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Pretty easy to do, sell connected seats to family members as a single trans action, alternate rows with a 2 seat gap between transactions. No tickets on day and terraces closed, same queues as supermarkets at turn styles . We could get 2500-3500 in and Fev 1500 or so. 

All social clubs, shops and refreshment areas closed, everyone has to form an orderly queue to leave, and no one can go to the toilet at half time unless everyone goes (in order).

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I fully agree it's "common sense", but unfortunately, sense isn't common!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

4 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Toilets ?

Just now, Hugh Jarce said:

I fully agree it's "common sense", but unfortunately, sense isn't common!

95% yes , but the 5 , no , then as I've put elsewhere , " oh look , somebody's doing something stupid , if he can do it so will I " ?

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

it sounds easy but i would be scared to death to be honest, if were to hope everyone que up nice like and not brush you aside to get to frozen chips like co op or tescos,just the thought of even 500 people touching door handles,sauce bottles,sugar,turnstile clicker at 2ft wide,even yer ticket been torn in half,raffle tickets,bog seat, hell by time had done cleaning game would be over, but i cant wait to get sat in a seat or stood on some remote banking to see our wonderfull game again,but in safety so i will wait a while yet.

People are living in a fantasy land on this thread.

Professional sport WILL be played behind closed doors for the rest of the year.

Why can't people simply accept this, instead of coming out with drivel about how crowds can be accommodated in stadiums?

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

People are living in a fantasy land on this thread.

Professional sport WILL be played behind closed doors for the rest of the year.

Why can't people simply accept this, instead of coming out with drivel about how crowds can be accommodated in stadiums?

Only if that sport can afford it and only if we don't get a 2nd peak (and judging by what I've see over the last week or so I wouldn't bet a farthing against that happening).

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Hence why SL is far more likely to be the only RL to be played for the rest of the year

This has been posted elsewhere but relevant to this discussion too. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/11/dr-anthony-fauci-football-the-perfect-set-up-for-spreading/ At (currently) around £90 a go for a test some serious money will be needed on top of salaries - and that's not just for the teams: the Bundesliga estimate 300 people in the stadium for a televised football match.

Archived