Tigers swoop for Evalds

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

It’s like stealing a blokes trainers after he’s been run over - shocking morals and good to see nobody else making announcements

I’m not sure someone who supports Leigh should be preaching about morals...........somewhat ironic some might say ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

To busy spending the cash on players.

I'm afraid so,until they are given a meaningful ultimatum to resolve their ground situation,they will continue to be an embarrassment to the sport. Ofcouse,if they are ever given an ultimatum,they will beg for extra time. Time for them to move to the Championship and then they will quickly solve the problem.

35 minutes ago, cookey said:

I'm afraid so,until they are given a meaningful ultimatum to resolve their ground situation,they will continue to be an embarrassment to the sport. Ofcouse,if they are ever given an ultimatum,they will beg for extra time. Time for them to move to the Championship and then they will quickly solve the problem.

Over recent years, Cas have been one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league, a real attraction to TV viewers and they don't seem to be struggling to attract fans to their ground either, despite its condition. 

I don't see how the game would benefit in any way from breaking up one of the most sucessful and attractive teams in the league to enforce some sort of arbitrary stadium rule, which would likely see them relegated and bankrupted. It should be for the individual clubs to decide where their funds are best spent. 

I appreciate that in the past licensing rules weren't properly followed through on, and that was bad, but frankly that was years ago and we need to start from where we are now. 

14 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Castleford developing a really strong squad, their spine for 2021 is seriously impressive. They are more than capable of a top 3 finish next year I reckon.

Pity that they play in a 19th Century Stadium. Funny how some of the clubs forced to upgrade their grounds are losing players to clubs playing grounds that can politely be called dumps.

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Over recent years, Widnes have been one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league, a real attraction to TV viewers and they don't seem to be struggling to attract fans to their ground either, despite its condition. 

I don't see how the game would benefit in any way from breaking up one of the most sucessful and attractive teams in the league to enforce some sort of arbitrart stadium rule, which would likely seem them relegated and bankrupted. It should be for the individual clubs to decide where their funds are best spent. 

I appreciate that in the past licensing rules weren't properly followed through on, and that was bad, but frankly that was years ago and we need to start from where we are now. 

If you accept my edit it still makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

Pity that they play in a 19th Century Stadium. Funny how some of the clubs forced to upgrade their grounds are losing players to clubs playing grounds that can politely be called dumps.

We’rent Salford keen on moving from The Willows long before licensing was even thought of? 

4 hours ago, cookey said:

And still no sign of a new ground or even improvements to the existing tip.

When Mr Evalds finds out he will be very concerned I think. Will he be able to release himself from the contract on the grounds of a 19C Groud?

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

38 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

We’rent Salford keen on moving from The Willows long before licensing was even thought of? 

Salford were told under framing the future they needed to up grade. The Willows would have cost more than a new stadium and the area wasn't great. The planning was then called in by John Prescott and the delays meant a director went bust, and Peel stepped in.

As a Salford fan I am sad to see Evalds go, one of our academy products. I wish Cas hadn't made the announcement with the season in turmoil and so much of it still to play. 

Cas have got a great player if he has a creative half to play off

Just now, Red Willow said:

Salford were told under framing the future they needed to up grade. The Willows would have cost more than a new stadium and the area wasn't great. The planning was then called in by John Prescott and the delays meant a director went bust, and Peel stepped in.

As a Salford fan I am sad to see Evalds go, one of our academy products. I wish Cas hadn't made the announcement with the season in turmoil and so much of it still to play. 

Cas have got a great player if he has a creative half to play off

I seemed to think that the old chairman, whose name I've completely forgot (Wilkinson?), was keen on moving long before that, but I bow down to your knowledge. 

John Wilkinson wanted a move to an iconic stadium with a hotel and to be able to generate income from the area. Not sure how this balanced with his owning the Willows variety centre. I can't say which came first the desire to move or being told by RFL that we would be excluded

43 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I might be being thick but not sure I understand? Explain please 

You could have said exactly the same about Widnes 20 odd years ago, but Widnes were still relegated because of their ground (not their on field performance. So in your quote

I don't see how the game would benefit in any way from breaking up one of the most sucessful and attractive teams in the league to enforce some sort of arbitrart stadium rule, which would likely seem them relegated and bankrupted. It should be for the individual clubs to decide where their funds are best spent.

Well Widnes and Leigh haves seen their on field fortunes take a dive and bankrupted themselves (Salford probably not far behind). 

Saints, Widnes, Leigh, Salford, Warrington were all told that ground improvements were necessary in order to stay in (or be allowed into) Super League. These clubs abided by the rules at the time. Allowing their on field side to slip whilst they invested in the future. But then what? All the rules are thrown out because other clubs were just paying lip service to these requirements - it was akin to cheating the salary cap.

These clubs worked to get modern facilities, at the expense of the on field side, with the understanding that this was essential for super league, but showhow Cas and Wakey are exempt.

Remember Knowsley Road? how it was called an embarrassment to super league well Knowsely Road was akin to Wembley compared to Wheldon Road and Bell Vue

1 hour ago, Bostik Bailey said:

You could have said exactly the same about Widnes 20 odd years ago, but Widnes were still relegated because of their ground (not their on field performance. So in your quote

Well Widnes and Leigh haves seen their on field fortunes take a dive and bankrupted themselves (Salford probably not far behind). 

Saints, Widnes, Leigh, Salford, Warrington were all told that ground improvements were necessary in order to stay in (or be allowed into) Super League. These clubs abided by the rules at the time. Allowing their on field side to slip whilst they invested in the future. But then what? All the rules are thrown out because other clubs were just paying lip service to these requirements - it was akin to cheating the salary cap.

These clubs worked to get modern facilities, at the expense of the on field side, with the understanding that this was essential for super league, but showhow Cas and Wakey are exempt.

Remember Knowsley Road? how it was called an embarrassment to super league well Knowsely Road was akin to Wembley compared to Wheldon Road and Bell Vue

Leigh were on the up and favourites to go up in 2001, good display in CC and romping the league, with money available to strengthen if needed. The previous year  Dewsbury were refused promotion due to ground, Leigh were told they needed a further 1000 seats to meet minimum standards, despite having far more seats than a few clubs in SL at the time. Leigh spent £30k seating theTS stand, Widnes strengthened and got promoted. Those clubs still haven’t got the number of seats today

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh were on the up and favourites to go up in 2001, good display in CC and romping the league, with money available to strengthen if needed. The previous year  Dewsbury were refused promotion due to ground, Leigh were told they needed a further 1000 seats to meet minimum standards, despite having far more seats than a few clubs in SL at the time. Leigh spent £30k seating theTS stand, Widnes strengthened and got promoted. Those clubs still haven’t got the number of seats today

Didn't Hunslet get refused as well due to their ground?

Sure, I get all that, and it was wrong if the rules back then weren't fairly applied. But it was years ago, we have to move on. Cas is a superleague success story - we need more like them - not smashing up the few strengths we have to settle a years old grievance, however unfair things were back then. Who gains? 

Well Widnes and Leigh haves seen their on field fortunes take a dive and bankrupted themselves (Salford probably not far behind)

Widnes weren't relegated due to their ground. They were relegated in the 1994-95 season after finishing in one of the six relegation places that season as the league was restructuring. They were not the highest placed team to go down that year either (Featherstone were, Widnes were third from bottom). They went down in 2005 as they finished in one of the two relegation spots that season. They got back in SL under licensing on the strength of one NR Cup win (they didn't win the Championship in the three year period) and went down in 2018 as they finished in the bottom 3 of the Qualifiers after twice finishing bottom of SL. In all of their relegation seasons it was known at the outset that the teams that finished where Widnes did would be relegated.

The Salford statement doesn't look great. Probably more of a rally to their supporters than anything but clearly Salford's budget and investment in ambition is still below the rest of the league. Its a shame for them but Cas will be very very good next year.

3 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Widnes weren't relegated due to their ground. They were relegated in the 1994-95 season after finishing in one of the six relegation places that season as the league was restructuring.  In all of their relegation seasons it was known at the outset that the teams that finished where Widnes did would be relegated.

The "final restructure " was decided upon after the 1994/95 season was completed if my memory is correct.

Which would mean that at the outset of the season, Widnes along with all the other clubs had no idea that there were six "relegation " places

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

6 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

The "final restructure " was decided upon after the 1994/95 season was completed if my memory is correct.

Which would mean that at the outset of the season, Widnes along with all the other clubs had no idea that there were six "relegation " places

You are correct, it was decided at a Hotel near Huddersfield one Sunday after the season had finished.

Archived