NRL resumption

Following a discussion on another thread, regarding team loyalties I had a thought:

Considering that we may not have a return to hostilities any time soon over here and the NRL is returning in a couple of weeks, I was wondering just as a bit of fun will any of you planning to watch the broadcasts will you be adopting a team of preference, one you can get behind and cheer on, I will start off, just because of the number of English lads in the team Canberra Raiders will be my choice.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Following a discussion on another thread, regarding team loyalties I had a thought:

Considering that we may not have a return to hostilities any time soon over here and the NRL is returning in a couple of weeks, I was wondering just as a bit of fun will any of you planning to watch the broadcasts will you be adopting a team of preference, one you can get behind and cheer on, I will start off, just because of the number of English lads in the team Canberra Raiders will be my choice.

Great choice! ?

Another Raiders fan here (for this season). I base my loyalties on which team has the most English players.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

co-sign Canberra for me. Though i still have a soft spot for the Bunnies.

That classic Raiders team of 94 was my welcome into Australian Rugby League.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So also being a Wigan fan Dav, I suppose your weren't on Saints side in the recent WCC?

Still celebrating my first Roosters game when Saints were battered at Bolton in 2003.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

NZ Warriors have always been my sort-of team so I'll be vaguely cheering them on as I usually do.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sharkies!!

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Still celebrating my first Roosters game when Saints were battered at Bolton in 2003.

Yeah, I was there, the main thing I recall from that game and was so impressed with was the Roosters defence, my seat was high up behind the 'sticks' so had a very good view of the 'drift' and how they were closing down space, Saints simply had no answer has the scoreline suggests. 

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

NZ Warriors have always been my sort-of team so I'll be vaguely cheering them on as I usually do.

My eldest Grandson went out to Auckland last Feb '19 to live and work, he is a season ticket holder at the Warriors for the princely sum of £60 for the season!

On reflection because of him they should really be my NRL team, but I really enjoy the banter with him when they are on TV I like to be in the opposition's camp, the wonder of 'WhatsApp' allows us to converse while the game is being played. 

I went out for the GB tour and to see him last autumn and went to his 'local' with him I am sure all the Warrior's fans were the same lot that were wearing Tongan shirts a few days later.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My eldest Grandson went out to Auckland last Feb '19 to live and work, he is a season ticket holder at the Warriors for the princely sum of £60 for the season!

On reflection because of him they should really be my NRL team, but I really enjoy the banter with him when they are on TV I like to be in the opposition's camp, the wonder of 'WhatsApp' allows us to converse while the game is being played. 

I went out for the GB tour and to see him last autumn and went to his 'local' with him I am sure all the Warrior's fans were the same lot that were wearing Tongan shirts a few days later.

Supporting the Warriors does also mean never being quite sure which of their 700 jerseys they're going to be wearing on any given week.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yeah, gotta be Canberra really. Although does anybody know of a good up and coming team with a young squad of players worth keeping an eye on? 

Probably the Broncos if your after a team of young potential, Haas and Fifita are genuine superstars in the making, Pangai Jr is a monster...Kerrigan, flegler and Ofahengaue are also part of a frightening young pack. 

Kotoni Staggs is one of the best young centers in the world, Jermaine Isaako is a young Kiwi international FB/Wing.

Brodie Croft at half, Jake Turpin Hooker/Halfback....

Theyv had a youth movement there with youngsters playing plenty of NRL games. Theres a few below them aswel who are highly rated, Deardon, Coates and Farnworth(English lad) among a few others are all worth keeping an eye on

4 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Probably the Broncos if your after a team of young potential, Haas and Fifita are genuine superstars in the making, Pangai Jr is a monster...Kerrigan, flegler and Ofahengaue are also part of a frightening young pack. 

Kotoni Staggs is one of the best young centers in the world, Jermaine Isaako is a young Kiwi international FB/Wing.

Brodie Croft at half, Jake Turpin Hooker/Halfback....

Theyv had a youth movement there with youngsters playing plenty of NRL games. Theres a few below them aswel who are highly rated, Deardon, Coates and Farnworth(English lad) among a few others are all worth keeping an eye on

Totally agree, get another couple of years under their belts and stick together they may prove to be the team of the decade, along with those you name what about Jordayne Kahu not so young at 29 but never fails to impress and Anthony Milford at 25 wonderful half and there are others also to mention even the old warhorse Darius still does a job, can't wait for the v. Canberra games.

Been a Parramatta fan for years since my dad used to get those open rugby videos with Australian RL highlights and games on. The first one I saw was a Parra game with the likes of Grothe, Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling, Mick Cronin etc....

Archived