Which player would you be?

For those of us who played the game but didn't rise to the ranks of international stardom (or even for those who didn't get a chance to play the game).

Which player would you have been most like if you had reached the top?

Personally I will go for Andy Platt. we are a similar size and build - 5' 10" and stocky (around 16st playing weight).  Like Platt, I played front or second row and I really liked the way he played the game as he had a terrific engine and was a class player.

(No exaggerations please, let's have some self reflection and not a hundred Ellery Hanley's!)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As a young un I was slight but fast and a sprinter  at school so someone like that . Keep out of the way , don’t do any tackling and run as fast as hell in a straight line away from anyone trying to tackle me .

I wanted to be Neil Fox, couldn't kick, not much of a passer, could tackle like a demon.  Not much chance then ??   Played no 11 at RL then no 6,7&8 at Union.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Menzies. I was a bit of a try scoring back rower when I was younger and really admired Menzies when I saw him in the mid-late 90s. I tried to run like him, watched him all the time and even wrote a letter to him! Similar attributes too: fast, rangy back rower with a bit of skill but not keen on defence and certainly last into a fight.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Keith Fielding

Paul Topping

Paul Charlton

Eric Grothe snr. - just for the beard.

I was fast, 11.02 for 100m, but I didnt have a side step, I didnt have bulk (72kg max at 185cm)

I could tackle hard, and catch a high ball, which is why I moved from wing to full back at Irlam, and when I moved to Ealing, I advertised myself as a 1-5 player, I ended up as an attacking full back / 2nd rower! & accidental goal kicker.

Which I enjoyed.

When I played at a decent Level, I was compared regularly to Steve Gibson. I wasn't that quick, but was always a good defender and at 6ft 3 and 14 st, ran like a 2nd rower and good under a high ball. Moving from Centre to Full Back at 16 was the best move I made.

Played with and against Andy Farrell since the age of 9 and loved snotting him as a kid. Fair play to him though, he was always going to Captain his Country. He was always a winner (even when Orrell lost to us )The rest is history !

Getting under 17st now would take a miracle !

Archived