Underated Players XIII

After watching play backs of tries on Youtube I realised there were some cracking players that played our game but never got the accolades of other players in their career but were as good if not better.

FB Daryl Cardiss

RW David Hodgson

RC Ryan Girdler

LC Darren Wright

LW Darren Rogers

SO Tony Myler

SH Deryck Fox

P Neil Cowie

H Bernard Dwyer

P Mike O Neill

SR Paul Cullen

SR John Stankevitch

LF Mike Forshaw

I know some have International Caps but plenty of these maybe deserved more. I was going to put an honorable mentions list but it would be interesting to see if anyone picks the players I had on my back up list

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin Crompton never seemed to get quite as much attention as his abilities warranted.

From the list above, Mike Forshaw fits the thread's theme perfectly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bringing things right up to date, Niall Evalds.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Disagree. I think everyone recognises how good he is. If you’d have said this 2+ years ago, you’d have a point. 

Good point; with Salford upping their game in the last couple of seasons, he's being noticed more. At Salford since 2013, and loaned out more than once, it has taken a while for him.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

To reply to the OP I would say Hodgson had his best season playing centre then he got an injury and was never the same again.

Agree about Ryan Girdler, real top class centre but nowhere near the level of accolades as the likes of Lyon and Gasnier despite being in the same bracket in terms of talent.

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

To reply to the OP I would say Hodgson had his best season playing centre then he got an injury and was never the same again.

Agree about Ryan Girdler, real top class centre but nowhere near the level of accolades as the likes of Lyon and Gasnier despite being in the same bracket in terms of talent.

Ryan Girdler did ok.

10 NSW SOO games

14 Test Caps.

There would be plenty of players that would like to be as underrated as he was.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Tony Myler is one of the most respected and highly regarded players of the last 50 years, certainly doesn’t belong in this team.

Probably the best Stand Off to come out of the U.K. ever, injuries possibly robbed us and him of his absolute best form but he showed enough to be up there with Lewis, Kenny etc

I always thought Luke Lewis was underrated. I know he got a lot of international honours and NSW appearances but he was often overshadowed by so called star names in the teams he played in. A great player though and I always appreciated his skill level and versatility...........I never felt he got the accolades he deserved

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

I know he got 14 caps. Who mentions him now? Or remembers him.. Cracking player thats my point.

He is well regarded in Australia.

He has plenty of post career media roles.

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I always thought Luke Lewis was underrated. I know he got a lot of international honours and NSW appearances but he was often overshadowed by so called star names in the teams he played in. A great player though and I always appreciated his skill level and versatility...........I never felt he got the accolades he deserved

Luke Lewis was regarded as the ultimate professional down under.

Tough as Teak and versatile.

A versatile player, Lewis played (but not necessarily started) in every position in first grade football. Lewis also played representative football as a winger, centre, lock and second row, and won first grade Man of the Match awards as a centre, lock, second row, five-eighth and halfback.

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Luke Lewis was regarded as the ultimate professional down under.

Tough as Teak and versatile enough to play anywhere on the field.

Tough player even as a young winger.  Quick and very good engine.

Steve Mortimer was very influential.  

Archived