Underated Players XIII

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Phil McKenzie, absolute class, ridiculous that he never got an international cap

IMHO he was head and shoulders above any other hooker around.  I am sure that I remember reading an article about Phil Larder who was the GB coach when McKenzie was playing and Larder was quoted as saying ‘He would not pick an Australian player even if he qualified to play for GB’.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rioman said:

Alan McCurrie, ahead of his time.

100% Correct!

He was often criticised for the things he did but if he were doing those self same things now he’d be an international.

Absolutely great bloke as well!

14 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

After watching play backs of tries on Youtube I realised there were some cracking players that played our game but never got the accolades of other players in their career but were as good if not better.

FB Daryl Cardiss

RW David Hodgson

RC Ryan Girdler

LC Darren Wright

LW Darren Rogers

SO Tony Myler

SH Deryck Fox

P Neil Cowie

H Bernard Dwyer

P Mike O Neill

SR Paul Cullen

SR John Stankevitch

LF Mike Forshaw

I know some have International Caps but plenty of these maybe deserved more. I was going to put an honorable mentions list but it would be interesting to see if anyone picks the players I had on my back up list

Deryck Fox was as good a SH as anyone.  Apart from him I’d only have Cowie, Forshaw and Girdler from that list though.

57 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

IMHO he was head and shoulders above any other hooker around.  I am sure that I remember reading an article about Phil Larder who was the GB coach when McKenzie was playing and Larder was quoted as saying ‘He would not pick an Australian player even if he qualified to play for GB’.

Ironic that Larder became his coach at Widnes.  

Not sure if he kept Phil on.  Cracking player tho.

36 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Sam Panapa,cracking player,very versatile who scored plenty of tries throughout his career.

Sam Panapa was a cracking player. Another old Wigan player i thought was/could have become really decent was Gael Tallec. Don't know if he can fall into the underrated category, or an adjacent 'Could of and should have been better'. Think he went to union and did very little.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

100% Correct!

He was often criticised for the things he did but if he were doing those self same things now he’d be an international.

Absolutely great bloke as well!

One of my all time favourite Trinity players.

Not sure if he was underrated particularly but I was always a fan of Scott Donald and didn’t like facing him. 

One from that Leeds golden era that probably doesn’t get the credit deserved outside of Leeds was Ian Kirke. He seemed to do a lot of the unfashionable stuff that went unnoticed. 

Jarrod Croker 

29 years old and already the 7th highest point scorer in top level Australian rugby league history.

NRL’s leading point scorer in 2012, 2015 and 2016.

2016 Dally M captain of the year.

He has never played for the kangaroos or in a SOO match.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Danny Wilson

Les Holliday

Paul Topping

Peter Williams of Salford, because he turned my Mrs on to Rugby League, even though she came from Uxbridge. 

Des Drummond

Green Vigo

Des was the fastest British winger. I saw him play for Leigh at Station Road against his brother Alva, and he gave Alva the runaround. I would loved to have been in their mums kitchen that night.

Green Vigo had no side step, he didnt need it. If you were between him and the tryline,  just pray your clubs insurance was up to date. Give him an outside break though, 10m he was gone.

I have been watching the highlights from 2003 season and a player that was under rated even by Salford was Stu Littler. Leigh fans hated him. The other player from that team was Gavin Clinch. His kicking game is much missed. 

Anyone remember Steve McGowan at Bradford?

Watching him play in the 92-93 season ( i think ) when Bradford were challenging Wigan for the title i seem to recall him scoring a shed load of tries. This was in my RL infancy, so to my mind back then he seemed pretty handy.

Edit: upon performing a google search it seems my memory isn't what i thought. He scored 9 tries in that 92/93 season!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

29 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Anyone remember Steve McGowan at Bradford?

Watching him play in the 92-93 season ( i think ) when Bradford were challenging Wigan for the title i seem to recall him scoring a shed load of tries. This was in my RL infancy, so to my mind back then he seemed pretty handy.

Edit: upon performing a google search it seems my memory isn't what i thought. He scored 9 tries in that 92/93 season!

Might have had a small shed.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Des was the fastest British winger. I saw him play for Leigh at Station Road against his brother Alva, and he gave Alva the runaround. I would loved to have been in their mums kitchen that night.

Green Vigo had no side step, he didnt need it.

Des could sidestep but often preferred to put his head down and just trample  all over you . And if you ran at him , good luck .Rock hard and lightning fast , what a player

always remember ET  coming back to leeds for a second spell and not being able to get the full back shirt from gary spencer because the local lad was playing so well, spencer was only moved on due to the big money signing of john Gallagher , how did he fare? so for me full back- gary spencer 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

always remember ET  coming back to leeds for a second spell and not being able to get the full back shirt from gary spencer because the local lad was playing so well, spencer was only moved on due to the big money signing of john Gallagher , how did he fare? so for me full back- gary spencer 

Crikey yeah Gary Spencer. Great player.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Leigh had a fullback in the mid to late 80's, Chris Johnson. Absolutely no frills, didnt look quick (but was) and was a decent kicker. Actually got capped for GB too.

Very underrated.

In todays game, I must say Niall Evalds. That is one hell of a signing for Castleford. He almost came to Leigh a few seasons ago and the Salford Faithful must be fuming at his departure. Cracking player !

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Des could sidestep but often preferred to put his head down and just trample  all over you . And if you ran at him , good luck .Rock hard and lightning fast , what a player

I played against Des, as a trialist in a 2nd team game, I was quick, but Des was nimble.

13 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

I know he got 14 caps. Who mentions him now? Or remembers him.. Cracking player thats my point.

If you play for an unfashionable Club it does not help your profile.

Penrith are not a glamour team in the NRL neither was Illawarra.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived