Underated Players XIII

3 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh had a fullback in the mid to late 80's, Chris Johnson. Absolutely no frills, didnt look quick (but was) and was a decent kicker. Actually got capped for GB too.

Very underrated.

In todays game, I must say Niall Evalds. That is one hell of a signing for Castleford. He almost came to Leigh a few seasons ago and the Salford Faithful must be fuming at his departure. Cracking player !

Duncan Platt too

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I played against Des, as a trialist in a 2nd team game, I was quick, but Des was nimble.

I remember Norm Brown telling me a story where someone said to Alva "your not the quickest player in RL you know" and Alva said "I know, our kid is!"

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

We had Simon Knox play in an admittingly poor team at Swinton and he was like a machine all season and earn't himself a move to Leigh 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

15 hours ago, HullWire said:

Two loose forwards. Rob Purdham at London was great over nearly ten years. 

Not sure if he was under rated but Tony Grimaldi was quietly brilliant for Gateshead and the Hull in every game he played that I saw

Rob Purdham was a terrific player and unlucky to be in an era where we were blessed with great depth at loose forward thus seeing him gain little international honours.

On 12/05/2020 at 15:34, DavidM said:

Des could sidestep but often preferred to put his head down and just trample  all over you . And if you ran at him , good luck .Rock hard and lightning fast , what a player

I remember in 1985 having a game as a trialist for Swinton 2nd ('A') team against Leigh, I was feeling confident, but then I realised I was facing Des coming back from an injury, the only time i laid a hand on him was at full time when i shook his hand. I was shown the door and never got another chance. Only half fit he was GOOD!

Like Danny Wilson, if either of them looked up, and saw a gap, try-time.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I remember in 1985 having a game as a trialist for Swinton 2nd ('A') team against Leigh, I was feeling confident, but then I realised I was facing Des coming back from an injury, the only time i laid a hand on him was at full time when i shook his hand. I was shown the door and never got another chance. Only half fit he was GOOD!

Like Danny Wilson, if either of them looked up, and saw a gap, try-time.

I remember a quote I once saw about Danny Wilson. The quote was alluding to the fact that his form was a bit erratic. It went some thing like, " even if Danny was on the pitch there was no guarantee he was playing"

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I liked Michael Shenton before Saints signed him and I was delighted when we did but it never seemed to click. He’s gone back to Cas and done brilliantly again there. 

I was at the GF when he got injured playing for Saints against Leeds, he was having a cracking game. It was a big turning point in the match for me.

32 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I was at the GF when he got injured playing for Saints against Leeds, he was having a cracking game. It was a big turning point in the match for me.

Definitely. I may be biased but I think we could have gone on to win had he stayed on. 

24 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I thought that but thought he was rated. Plenty of gb caps. Candidate for nicest player ever?

Hardest working player,as well.

I know coaches rated him.I was answering as if the question was ' under-rated by supporters.'

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

18 hours ago, Rioman said:

I remember a quote I once saw about Danny Wilson. The quote was alluding to the fact that his form was a bit erratic. It went some thing like, " even if Danny was on the pitch there was no guarantee he was playing"

Yeah true, he was brilliant at Station Rd, but very indifferent at away games. Station rd suited his style of play, it was a well drained firm level surface, going to boggy grounds like (deleted) didnt suit his style. 

21 hours ago, Rioman said:

Shame he was a thief, though. 

Surprised at mentions of Tommy Martyn. A great player, but hardly underrated, especially during the time he and Long were partners in the halves. They were star performers almost every week.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Surprised at mentions of Tommy Martyn. A great player, but hardly underrated, especially during the time he and Long were partners in the halves. They were star performers almost every week.

I wonder if people are saying he’s underrated due to his lack of international recognition? That’s the only thing I can think it could be. 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Martyn never got a GB Cap due to the obsession of playing Loose Forwards in that position. Farrell, Sculthorpe and Sinfield spring to mind.

Michael Crocker of Melbourne Storm and Souths is another that comes to mind.

Tough and skilful. A key player for the Storm and once sacrificed due to the salary cap his talent and character went a long way towards turning Souths into a genuine contender again.

Sio Siua Taukeiaho would surely be widely touted as the worlds best prop forward if only his name was a lot simpler to type and spell?. Seriously a great player though not discussed as much as his Roosters mate JWH who gets more notice due to being a panto style villain as well as top class prop.

Archived