Underated Players XIII

45 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Michael Crocker of Melbourne Storm and Souths is another that comes to mind.

Tough and skilful. A key player for the Storm and once sacrificed due to the salary cap his talent and character went a long way towards turning Souths into a genuine contender again.

Sio Siua Taukeiaho would surely be widely touted as the worlds best prop forward if only his name was a lot simpler to type and spell?. Seriously a great player though not discussed as much as his Roosters mate JWH who gets more notice due to being a panto style villain as well as top class prop.

The same Michael Crocker who played for Queensland 13 times and Won 6 Test Caps?
Yeah, no one really rated him much ?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Allora said:

The same Michael Crocker who played for Queensland 13 times and Won 6 Test Caps?
Yeah, no one really rated him much ?

You can be an international and still be underrated. 

Yes he was well regarded but if you offered me the chance to sign a 25 year old Crocker, Sam Thaiday or Boyd Cordner I would take Crocker every single time although the latter pair both have far more rep honours.

10 hours ago, arcticchris said:

You can be an international and still be underrated. 

Yes he was well regarded but if you offered me the chance to sign a 25 year old Crocker, Sam Thaiday or Boyd Cordner I would take Crocker every single time although the latter pair both have far more rep honours.

How many Caps you get can depend on who is also competing for your spot in a Test team at that point in time.

Lots of great players do not get Rep honours because there are better players in front of them in the minds of selectors.

I would take Crocker over Thaiday every time but not over Cordner but that is just personal opinion.

Crockers career would be viewed by many Australians as a top player, tough and uncompromising.

I often see his Photo on display at his Schools “Wall of Fame” alongside other Test players from both codes, it brings back great memories of him.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

12 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Michael Crocker of Melbourne Storm and Souths is another that comes to mind.

Tough and skilful. A key player for the Storm and once sacrificed due to the salary cap his talent and character went a long way towards turning Souths into a genuine contender again.

Sio Siua Taukeiaho would surely be widely touted as the worlds best prop forward if only his name was a lot simpler to type and spell?. Seriously a great player though not discussed as much as his Roosters mate JWH who gets more notice due to being a panto style villain as well as top class prop.

Taukeiaho is a great shout, superb prop and goal kicker to boot

hard working players arent underrated...

Always thought Martin Pearson was a bit underrated. very good player who had everything but never really in the international mix.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 12/05/2020 at 02:13, OMEGA said:

Tony Myler is one of the most respected and highly regarded players of the last 50 years, certainly doesn’t belong in this team.

Probably the best Stand Off to come out of the U.K. ever, injuries possibly robbed us and him of his absolute best form but he showed enough to be up there with Lewis, Kenny etc

Simply the most talented back from the uk ive seen

On 15/05/2020 at 11:41, Jeff Stein said:

While never a super league player, Michael Knowles has improved every team he has played for at Championship level

this is probably true in general, but not in his brief spell at Fev, where he's best remembered for bombing a try against Hull KR when crossing the line near the posts with nobody within 5 yards of him and still failing to score.

If you measure how his team-mates and opposition players speak of him, then James Lockwood probably fits into this category. Universally respected in the Championship. When Cam King was asked if there were any Fev players who could cut it in SL he nominated Lockwood, which I think is a bit of a stretch myself, but he is definitely a fairly low-profile player overall compared to how his peers think of him.

On 18/05/2020 at 08:33, The Phantom Horseman said:

If you measure how his team-mates and opposition players speak of him, then James Lockwood probably fits into this category. Universally respected in the Championship. When Cam King was asked if there were any Fev players who could cut it in SL he nominated Lockwood, which I think is a bit of a stretch myself, but he is definitely a fairly low-profile player overall compared to how his peers think of him.

I agree to an extent but I think Locky is rated fairly highly. I remember talking to him about this about 8/9 years ago and he thought he wasn't big enough, which may be true. I reckon he could have been a SL player, he's certainly tough enough mentally and physically but as he pointed out himself may have just lacked a little bit in size and/or pace. 

Excellent player though and very well respected. I dont think he's underrated by his peers but maybe fans.

3736-mipm.gif

On 17/05/2020 at 14:37, Hela Wigmen said:

Andy Lynch. 

SL just put him up for one the options for the SL all time dream team. In that sense he's vastly overrated. 

He was an honest and decent player, don't think he was underrated at all.

3736-mipm.gif

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Surely most of this current Salford squad. If Lussick was at a Saints, Wigan, Wire, Leeds, people would be waxing lyrical about him.  

I am sure Powell is looking for his next signing, he has Evalds and Joey is out of contract.....

Allan Bateman.  He never had the plaudits that Jiffy got but if I had to choose either to play at centre then I'd definitely go for Bateman.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Archived