Underated Players XIII

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/02/2021 at 01:39, The Rocket said:

Ian Russell: Illawarra Steelers, Sheffield, PSG, Oldham and the Cowboys.

Not under-rated at the time but a player who I feel name doesn`t come up when talking about talent in the game.

I don`t think there wasn`t a position that bloke couldn`t have played on the field.

Remember once seeing him do one of those mini-chip kicks that just skim over the outstretched hands of the opposition, the type that lands about 2-3 metres behind the defensive line ,burst through the line, regather on the full and score.

Don't remember him at PSG.

Was it in 1996❓

I always remember an unsung hero from the Slalom Lager Division 2 back in the 83/84 season.

Billy Platt was an absolute magician carrying the Rochdale Hornets side from loose forward.

He got injured for a few games and the whole side collapsed.

Think Hornets got Billy from Leigh?

Not sure what happened to him once Hornets bought an entire new team with the Morrisons Supermarket money. The Athletic Grounds sale didn't exactly bring the golden future many hoped for.

Always remember Billy 🙂

On 13/02/2021 at 02:56, Wigan Riversider said:

Don't remember him at PSG.

Was it in 1996❓

Mate I only got that off his profile on-line. Back in the day we only used to get 2 games per week on TV and they were only the 1hr highlights at that. As you can imagine the Steelers didn`t get a lot of air time but I know from what I saw of him I liked. Would love to know your memories of him.

On 12/05/2020 at 07:41, GeordieSaint said:

1. Steve Prescott

2. Mike Riley

3. Leroy Cudjoe

4. Jimmy Keinhorst

5. Les Quirk

6. Tommy Martyn

7. Lee Briers

8. Ian Pickavance

9. Micky Higham

10. Andy Lynch

11. Sonny Nickle

12. Bernard Dwyer

13. Mike Forshaw

Honest to god most of those players were highly rated at the time! Kleinhorst should be in a completely different list, the totally overrated, have you ever seen him play?

On 07/10/2020 at 19:33, The Blues Ox said:

Thought I would have a go at picking my Fax underated team:-

1. Darryl Cardiss (Never a week used to go by without our Cardiss for England chants)

2. Mark Preston (Quality player never got a look in at international level scored tries for fun and some crackers)

3. Stuart Donlan (Another I thought was on the fringe of international honors while at Fax)

4. Greg Florimo (Released by Wigan and had his retirement season at Fax. One of the most quality players to grace the blue and white)

5. Henry Sharp (With Preston on the other wing he did not get much recognition but was really good for us)

6. Chris Chester (Top drawer player but never really kicked on away from Fax)

7. Andrew Dunemann (Very outspoken about how Fax was run but we were blessed to have such a good player)

8. Brenden Hill (Huge fan favourite and was better than he got credit for)

9. Paul Rowley (One of my favourite Fax players ever only KC stopped him running up GB caps in my opinion)

10. Jacob Fairbank (Only player im including from our Championship days. Workhorse and should be this years captain)

11. Mick Scott (Love that after Wigan got rid Maurice Lindsay was one of the first people he rang to remind him what he had said)

12. Les Holliday (Cup hopes went on his injury in the 98 CC Final. Ouzing class would be a good way to describe him.

13. John Pendelbury (Nowt to him but a great rugby league brain and all Fax fans remember "that" tackle)

Are you being ironic about Chester as he clearly did!

• 2 months later...

I have often wondered. 

Which players are mentioned so often on these underrated threads that they are rated enough to be actually overrated. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have often wondered. 

Which players are mentioned so often on these underrated threads that they are rated enough to be actually overrated. 

What does underrated actually mean ... and by whom ? You’ll hear commentators saying ‘ he’s very underrated ‘ in a sort of general fashion 

18 minutes ago, Moominman said:

Gary Broadbent - rock solid at full back for both Whitehaven and Barrow. Better than many in super league at the time.

My main memories of him were in Salford colours, and a fine FB he was too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived