Interesting article in The Critic

Thats a really excellent article that sums up a lot very well in a non politically aligned way. Never seen the website either so was quite refreshing.

The only thing I think it misses is the Andy Burnham commissioned report into League's social impact which was used as the basis for the loan apparently but otherwise its pretty comprehensive.

I won't comment on the politics side of it here (particularly Labour) as I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm glad our game is building on the new political links which can be forged now.

Thank you, marklaspalmas, for sharing this with us; I, for one, had not seen it before. 

If the season does manage to resume and a grand final is held, perhaps the DCMS secretary of state, Oliver Dowden, could be invited to 'present' the trophy.  I use inverted commas because one imagines that, if social distancing requirements are still applicable, whoever does the honours might have to pick the trophy up, place it on a flat surface, step back two metres and applaud as the victorious captain comes forward to 'receive' it.  Who knows!

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I've never heard of The Critic, but....

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-new-political-battleground/

Apologies if

1. It's already been posted

2. Folk think it's too "political" for this forum.

I thought it was worth a read at least.

It certainly is worth a read, I found it very interesting.

Hi, 

Thanks for sharing this article on this site. The Critic is a new political magazine and after I approached them with my idea for the piece they ran it straight away. 

I would be grateful if people could share it on social media pages and with fellow League/politically minded people. Hopefully it will gain some traction and encourage other magazines to run features on the sport. In the 1990s we used to feature in many of the Sunday mags and we could certainly do with broadening the debate about our identity. 

Also if any of you have any comments/criticism/ideas for future topics I'd be delighted to here from you. The identity crisis facing 'the people's game' and the 'people's party' is something I am eager to explore further 

My site is https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com and can be contacted on anthonybroxton19@gmail.com

Thanks for your support, 

Anthony (TOH)

It's interesting cos it kind of mirrors what has happened in Australia. Apart from Labor in QLD, nationally Labor has courted AFL with leaders coming out espousing their team colors, poured lots of govt money into AFL & virtually ignored RL. In contrast the last 4 or 5 LNP (Conservatives) leaders (Howard, Abbott, Turnbull, Morrison) have come out & let the public know who they follow in the NRL, were seen at games, given the NRL massive funding for stadiums & even gave $50 million plus in grants for centres of excellence. Apart from Rudd, we had Gillard & Shorten (Labor has gone thru less leaders than the LNP last decade or so) but they were AFL lackies to the hilt

19 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I've never heard of The Critic, but....

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-new-political-battleground/

Apologies if

1. It's already been posted

2. Folk think it's too "political" for this forum.

I thought it was worth a read at least.

It's a good article.

The Critic is a Toby Young connected project and has published his eugenics-leaning nonsense in the past.

Hopefully the two things aren't linked.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived