Ottawa - try outs for Canadians.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is wonderful news.  The Ottawa Aces are making a serious effort to recruit Canadian talent to rugby league. We should all hope that it works, and that Ottawa Aces will be successful in joining League 1 with a significant Canadian player contingent.

If Ottawa can then get promoted to the Championship, and later to Super League where it will compete with Toronto, we will have the foundation for building up rugby league in Canada. 

20 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I wonder how many of the 10 contracts they end up awarding 

I hope they fill the 10!

Eric Perez was on the Outlaw Rugby league podcast today and said the have over 100 applicants for the trials already, it was a good listen!

19 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

I hope they fill the 10!

Eric Perez was on the Outlaw Rugby league podcast today and said the have over 100 applicants for the trials already, it was a good listen!

Do you have a link?

39 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

I hope they fill the 10!

Eric is gonna be on Chasing Kangeroos soon too...

36 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Do you have a link?

Here you go sir!  It's the most recent one (episode 14)

https://anchor.fm/outlawedrlpodcast

Exact episode: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8xMTg4NmQxYy9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw&ep=14

(I used Google play podcasts but it's on most platforms)

13 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

I hope they fill the 10!

Don’t bother mate, some people on here wouldn’t be satisfied if Ottawa won Super League with 11 Canadians in the starting line up. 

12 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Here you go sir!  It's the most recent one (episode 14)

https://anchor.fm/outlawedrlpodcast

Exact episode: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8xMTg4NmQxYy9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw&ep=14

(I used Google play podcasts but it's on most platforms)

Thanks for this, I wasn’t aware of this Podcast, having looked through the previous episode subjects it looks right up my street ?

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The TEN will be big, they will be strong and they will be determined! 

And they'll be clueless! But League 1 will be a good breeding ground for them. Be interesting to see if any of the Wolfpack trialists give it another go

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The TEN will be big, they will be strong and they will be determined! 

Why didn't Toronto get this type of player then, if they were/are available?  That is of no disrespect to either club I'm just curios, Toronto also had auditions to recruit 'hopefuls' but they weren't forthcoming, in your opinion (or anyone else) why?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Don’t bother mate, some people on here wouldn’t be satisfied if Ottawa won Super League with 11 Canadians in the starting line up. 

That would be brilliant, I for one would be totally satisfied I honestly mean that simply because to achieve it they would have a thriving infrastructure in place, there would be thousands upon thousands playing the sport, also they wouldn't need to bother with travelling over to this country to play they would have their own league system and everything that goes with it.

But alas no one who is alive on the planet today will live to see that happening, it will take far far to long to come about.

Do you actually realise out of all the kids who pick up a rugby ball in the UK and go through all the advancement and excellence systems how many actually make it to SL each year, proportionately very very few spread across all 12 SL clubs.

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why didn't Toronto get this type of player then, if they were/are available?  That is of no disrespect to either club I'm just curios, Toronto also had auditions to recruit 'hopefuls' but they weren't forthcoming, in your opinion (or anyone else) why?

I've been over this time and again with you Harry!

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

And they'll be clueless! But League 1 will be a good breeding ground for them. Be interesting to see if any of the Wolfpack trialists give it another go

Not all of them DD...you just might be surprised.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think there's a certain blindness amongst Northern directors of Rugby to the potential recruitment options bar the M62 and the antipodes. We see it regarding the rest of the UK and France. It's a natural bias to one's own rugby culture.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I'm getting old K'man, please remind me!

I'm not going over it again for you Harry...you've got to learn to listen the first tine....and second time....and third time......methinks you need new batteries for the ear listeners!

Archived