2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Love your passion.

Cheers, I just love the game mate.

So when someone is having a go (off their own bat) at getting it going in far flung places, if we can't get there and help them, I think the least we can do, is cheer them on.

What these people are attempting is nothing short of heroic and I stand in admiration of their vision their creativity and their energy.

I hope they get it off the ground and can grow it year on year.

This amazing game, has been in the doldrums for far too long but it remains to be said, that the reason the game is as big as it is today is only because of this kind of pioneering spirit often born in the face of significant oppression from the dark side.

I have no time for knockers (within the game) who can't lend at least moral support to these blokes. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

So when someone is having a go (off their own bat) at getting it going in far flung places, if we can't get there and help them, I think the least we can do, is cheer them on.

What these people are attempting is nothing short of heroic and I stand in admiration of their vision their creativity and their energy.

This amazing game, has been in the doldrums for far too long but it remains to be said, that the reason the game is as big as it is today is only because of this kind of pioneering spirit often born in the face of significant oppression from the dark side.

I have no time for knockers (within the game) who can't lend at least moral support to these blokes. 

Well said mate. I sometimes think that maybe I am just a one-eyed league supporter who doesn`t really see things clearly. However when I see people investing their ` hard-earned ` into the game in risky ventures  I think we must be onto something. Love them or hate them News Corp did try to buy the whole game once and that says to me these blokes don`t pour hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain unless they can see something in the product, they screwed up and may have done more harm than good but the fact remains Murdoch, a very shrewd operator , saw something in our code that he thought he could sell to the world. Just like we do.

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Well said mate. I sometimes think that maybe I am just a one-eyed league supporter who doesn`t really see things clearly. However when I see people investing their ` hard-earned ` into the game in risky ventures  I think we must be onto something. Love them or hate them News Corp did try to buy the whole game once and that says to me these blokes don`t pour hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain unless they can see something in the product, they screwed up and may have done more harm than good but the fact remains Murdoch, a very shrewd operator , saw something in our code that he thought he could sell to the world. Just like we do.

I'm sure he did too.

On 15/07/2020 at 16:07, fighting irish said:

I`ve had an eye, via social media, on a number of the clubs named for Euro XIII for some years. It would be terrific if this could elevate them in various ways beyond their domestic comps. You look at the logistics and wonder if you dare to hope.

BTW, Women`s RL has a lot of knockers, but there is more support these days.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`ve had an eye, via social media, on a number of the clubs named for Euro XIII for some years. It would be terrific if this could elevate them in various ways beyond their domestic comps. You look at the logistics and wonder if you dare to hope.

BTW, Women`s RL has a lot of knockers, but there is more support these days.

Interesting, the way a lot of people speak on here is like most of these clubs have just materialised out of thin air. 

If I have one query though, if some of those clubs are from small domestic Leagues (you will like the way I use `League` there U.P., the proper way as you would have it), why aren`t players picked from all the clubs involved in that League. Wouldn`t that make them stronger and encourage emotional investment, and even financial investment.

P.S.  I will get back to your remark on another thread  "initial encounters with Australians can be a shock in any circumstances". Actually I will answer it now. I feel that you have the image of us all as being as one Barry Humphries caricatures, perhaps Sandy Stone. And here I am trying to imagine which cast member of  `The Office` each of you resembles.🙂

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Interesting, the way a lot of people speak on here is like most of these clubs have just materialised out of thin air. 

If I have one query though, if some of those clubs are from small domestic Leagues (you will like the way I use `League` there U.P., the proper way as you would have it), why aren`t players picked from all the clubs involved in that League. Wouldn`t that make them stronger and encourage emotional investment, and even financial investment.

P.S.  I will get back to your remark on another thread  "initial encounters with Australians can be a shock in any circumstances". Actually I will answer it now. I feel that you have the image of us all as being as one Barry Humphries caricatures, perhaps Sandy Stone. And here I am trying to imagine which cast member of  `The Office` each of you resembles.🙂

This is surmise. If the Euro XIII clubs selected the best players from their domestic leagues, they would be merely replicating their national teams. It wouldn`t be a club competition.

You can regard the badinage as a reference to either the 1982 Kangaroos, or Germaine Greer.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This is surmise. If the Euro XIII clubs selected the best players from their domestic leagues, they would be merely replicating their national teams. It wouldn`t be a club competition.

You can regard the badinage as a reference to either the 1982 Kangaroos, or Germaine Greer.

That's more palatable than your original generalisation. I'll never forget my first encounter with an Australian, she was walking towards me in a Tanga style bikini on South Curl Curl beach. I turned to watch her walk away too. You might say, she was the polar opposite of Germaine Greer. I've had an avid interest in them ever since.

6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

That's more palatable than your original generalisation. I'll never forget my first encounter with an Australian, she was walking towards me in a Tanga style bikini on South Curl Curl beach. I turned to watch her walk away too. You might say, she was the polar opposite of Germaine Greer. I've had an avid interest in them ever since.

Two words - Manly Seabirds.

The tone of all this is making me even more disappointed that nobody picked up the double entendre about "Knockers" earlier.

57 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Two words - Manly Seabirds.

The tone of all this is making me even more disappointed that nobody picked up the double entendre about "Knockers" earlier.

I had quiet appreciation, I assure you.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of players being added from other clubs.  Take the Dutch example.  Rotterdam Pitbulls finished third out of just four teams in the last two seasons.  Surely they would benefit from drafting some of the stronger players from other clubs.  This would not equate to a Netherlands national team as many of the stronger players do not yet qualify under the five year residence rule

2 hours ago, Man in red said:

I like the idea of players being added from other clubs.  Take the Dutch example.  Rotterdam Pitbulls finished third out of just four teams in the last two seasons.  Surely they would benefit from drafting some of the stronger players from other clubs.  This would not equate to a Netherlands national team as many of the stronger players do not yet qualify under the five year residence rule

Yes, gives those other clubs a bit more of an emotional investment as well, may also bring some sponsors with them.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, langpark said:

Who?? I am confused. I thought it was Worcester (then also Birmingham) Jaguars!? Are you telling me there is now a 3rd team?

No, just playing along with the game. They are neither Birmingham nor Worcester. But, living in Droitwich Spa, I'll be there, at the bar, for their first friendly against the All Golds this autumn, whatever they call themselves 🙂

#jaguarsfans

• 2 weeks later...
'In light of the continued disruption that Covid 19 is causing through the world, the organisers of Euro XIIIs met with the participating clubs to discuss a range of subjects relating to the 2021 format. A representative from each club was invited to vote on postponing the tournament to either September 2021 or February 2022. The clubs voted unanimously to postpone the tournament until February 2022.
Additionally the 16 clubs were invited to vote on an amendment to the tournament that would mean the knockout cup competition is replaced by a group stage with 4 teams in each group. Again clubs voted unanimously to the amendment that guarantees each team a minimum of 3 games rather than the original 1. The draw for which will take place on the 16th October 2020.
Whilst it is disappointing that the current pandemic is forcing a delay, both the organisers and clubs continue to look forward to this exciting tournament that promises to develop rugby league throughout Europe.
Dean Buchan
Euro XIII's'

• 3 months later...

Archived