Euro XIIIs

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Also I didn’t understand why they’d limit it to one club per country. Other than that it was a great listen and really encouraging. 

I think the idea there is to help support the national leagues because if there's only one place available in each country there should be keen competition to win that place, so it's an incentive to play in and do well in the national leagues.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mrfranco said:

I think the idea there is to help support the national leagues because if there's only one place available in each country there should be keen competition to win that place, so it's an incentive to play in and do well in the national leagues.

How would they win that place though, if the team from their country didn’t get relegated? I guess they have thought of that mind you ?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

How would they win that place though, if the team from their country didn’t get relegated? I guess they have thought of that mind you ?

I presumed it would be football-style qualification via the national league each season. 

Who knows if any of this will ever come to fruition? I hope so, it's an exciting idea. Let's hope the businessmen behind it don't just talk a good game!

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

So having listened to the podcast...

Two cities that were name dropped:

Verona (Italy)

Valencia (Spain)

I don't believe there is currently a team in Verona.  I guess they will put one together like they did the Lignano Sharks last year (they were Venice-based I think)

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

Who are they?  I did not hear any names mentioned let alone what businesses they have been successful in.

Buchan is one. Why do you think they should list all the names and their business histories? 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Buchan is one. Why do you think they should list all the names and their business histories? 

I don't, I am asking you since you made the statement that they are successful businessmen?  What is Dean Buchan's business background, does anyone know?

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

So in summary they wanted nowt to do with it until they heard there were some investors that they’d like to work with?

No, it sounds like the RLEF had started working towards the same thing (interestingly they're saying professional) but this private group has beat them to the punch and there's been some overlap between the two groups...

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

No, it sounds like the RLEF had started working towards the same thing (interestingly they're saying professional) but this private group has beat them to the punch and there's been some overlap between the two groups...

Yes that's correct. We could really do with alignment on these sort of things, and would be better coming under the RLEF's jurisdiction. The last thing we need is some sort of breakaway league

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Yes that's correct. We could really do with alignment on these sort of things, and would be better coming under the RLEF's jurisdiction. The last thing we need is some sort of breakaway league

Why. The RLEF have had years and done nothing, so these people are trying to make something happen. 

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why. The RLEF have had years and done nothing, so these people are trying to make something happen. 

In 17 years the RLEF has grown its membership from  nine to now playing the game at some level in over 20 European countries, plus the African and American nations that fall under their umbrella. They have secured Erasmus funding which in turn has led to grants towards development of coaches and referees throughout Europe. They have created a meaningful international calander with promotion and relegation and given developing countries like Greece a pathway into the World Cup final stages. 

I attended the meeting in Paris in 2003 when the RLEF was formed and to say they have "done nothing" shows how much you know about what is going on at grassroots level on the continent.

Representatives attended that inaugural meeting from rugby league organisations in Morocco, the Netherlands, Italy, Serbia, Russia, Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

With very little funding the RLEF has done well to get where it is today and for them to be looking at a professional game (before this Spanish /Italian concept arose) involving European Clubs shows they are still pushing forward. 

What we need now is for all parties to get together and work out how they can progress as a group to bring these ideas into a reality. 

What the game doesn't need is another split due to personal egos. 

PS. 

I have had many a run in with the RLEF but credit must be given when due. ?

15 minutes ago, yanto said:

In 17 years the RLEF has grown its membership from  nine to now playing the game at some level in over 20 European countries, plus the African and American nations that fall under their umbrella. They have secured Erasmus funding which in turn has led to grants towards development of coaches and referees throughout Europe. They have created a meaningful international calander with promotion and relegation and given developing countries like Greece a pathway into the World Cup final stages. 

I attended the meeting in Paris in 2003 when the RLEF was formed and to say they have "done nothing" shows how much you know about what is going on at grassroots level on the continent.

Representatives attended that inaugural meeting from rugby league organisations in Morocco, the Netherlands, Italy, Serbia, Russia, Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

With very little funding the RLEF has done well to get where it is today and for them to be looking at a professional game (before this Spanish /Italian concept arose) involving European Clubs shows they are still pushing forward. 

What we need now is for all parties to get together and work out how they can progress as a group to bring these ideas into a reality. 

PS. 

Thanks Yanto, saved me a job and addressed it better than I would’ve. Some people really are clueless 

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Serbians are distancing themselves from this. 

That will be due to the fact that it's Red Star Belgrade and RLEF board member Colin Kleyweg who are behind the other proposal. 

Now is not the time to distance themselves without even talking to the Euro XIII group and trying to get everyone singing of the same song sheet. 

How often do we see the game being held back due to the inability to bring all ideas to the table and discussing compromise for the good of the game 

47 minutes ago, yanto said:

PS. 

I was referring to them setting up a European League. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was referring to them setting up a European League. 

A lot of people are criticising RLEF since this happened, I think they have handled it excellently.  All they have said is that they were not aware of it until now and that they had been working behind the scenes on a similar project and that they are open to discussing with the other part, what is wrong with that.

Those that are saying "first past the post" should get everyone's support, I have to disagree.  Achieving something like this could take years if not decades of work to achieve.  A pro league in mainland Europe?  Believe me, we are nowhere near there yet. 

So let me give you two scenarios:  1) One that is taking years of planning, and launching in 10 years from now, but being successful and sustainable for years to come.

2) or one that is a half-baked idea that launches prematurely and is here today, gone tomorrow?

Scenario 2 could do irreparable damage to the concept if anyone ever wanted to attempt it again in the future.

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

A lot of people are criticising RLEF since this happened, I think they have handled it excellently.  All they have said is that they were not aware of it until now and that they had been working behind the scenes on a similar project and that they are open to discussing with the other part, what is wrong with that.

Those that are saying "first past the post" should get everyone's support, I have to disagree.  Achieving something like this could take years if not decades of work to achieve.  A pro league in mainland Europe?  Believe me, we are nowhere near there yet. 

So let me give you two scenarios:  1) One that is taking years of planning, and launching in 10 years from now, but being successful and sustainable for years to come.

2) or one that is a half-baked idea that launches prematurely and is here today, gone tomorrow?

Scenario 2 could do irreparable damage to the concept if anyone ever wanted to attempt it again in the future.

How do you know scenario 2 is half baked though? What if it’s more professional, better run and better funded than whatever the RLEF come up with in 10 years time?  

Just now, Eddie said:

How do you know scenario 2 is half baked though? What if it’s more professional, better run and better funded than whatever the RLEF come up with in 10 years time?  

I don't know about you, but to me, a "team" which does not currently exist (Verona, as mentioned on the podcast) being touted as a "major player" in this supposed professional competition, due to start in just 9 months from now, does suggest "half-baked" and hastiness.

11 minutes ago, langpark said:

I don't know about you, but to me, a "team" which does not currently exist (Verona, as mentioned on the podcast) being touted as a "major player" in this supposed professional competition, due to start in just 9 months from now, does suggest "half-baked" and hastiness.

Do you not maybe think that’s just the link to Orazio D’Arro, so he can 100% rubber stamp their involvement whilst other more stronger, well-established clubs are likely to be included but the EuroXIII are doing their due-diligence on them? 

I can’t remember Verona being described as a major ‘player’ just a city with an international airport. Pardon me if I’m wrong though.

28 minutes ago, langpark said:

Why would they exist now when there is no Italian League? 

Archived