Euro XIIIs

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

You're changing the parameters here. They've stated they want 8 teams which is not enough for a full years competition, meaning this will be at least alongside national leagues. Also, there is clearly the aspiration that semi-pro (at least in terms of funding) is the basic aim, not amateur - as how could a draft work in that environment.

Off the top of my head, Handball and basketball have European wide competitions and are not totally professional nor do they have major a TV presence in the UK. I know for a fact even Cricket have a European competition that I very much doubt is fully professional.

Indeed in RL we already have the example of the Balkan Super League operating across national borders with minimal levels of investment.

No I'm not changing any parameters, player drafts of the sort which they are reportedly considering only exist in fully functional regular leagues which play week in, week out.  If these Euro XIIs guys don't understand that, they've made a basic error which suggests that they don't have the nous to build something credible.

Handball and basketball do have regular European Championships and Champions Leagues, but the latter involve pro teams at the top European level of those games and of course the former are for national teams.  As for the European Cricket League, it was a small tournament played over a weekend so not really a league as such.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No I'm not changing any parameters, player drafts of the sort which they are reportedly considering only exist in fully functional regular leagues which play week in, week out.  If these Euro XIIs guys don't understand that, they've made a basic error which suggests that they don't have the nous to build something credible.

Handball and basketball do have regular European Championships and Champions Leagues, but the latter involve pro teams at the top European level of those games and of course the former are for national teams.  As for the European Cricket League, it was a small tournament played over a weekend so not really a league as such.

What a despicable attitude, rubbishing people that you know nothing about or what they have planned. Call yourself Big Picture; Narrow Minded would be more appropriate. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What a despicable attitude, rubbishing people that you know nothing about or what they have planned. Call yourself Big Picture; Narrow Minded would be more appropriate. 

I looked them up online and I couldn't find any information other than their grassroots involvement with RL in Italy and Spain, so I can only go by that.  I heard the guy in Valencia interviewed in a podcast a while back and he sounded like your typical grassroots level dreamer sort who seem to be the norm among RL pioneers in new countries.  Speaking of player drafts in a context other than a regular league which will play a full season of matches week after week and have significant financial backing most certainly is a basic error which is likely to create a poor impression and deter the kind of backers needed from getting involved.

18 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

8 teams seems like the ideal format for a 2 and a half month competition? Thats all they need.

40 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I looked them up online and I couldn't find any information other than their grassroots involvement with RL in Italy and Spain, so I can only go by that.  I heard the guy in Valencia interviewed in a podcast a while back and he sounded like your typical grassroots level dreamer sort who seem to be the norm among RL pioneers in new countries.  Speaking of player drafts in a context other than a regular league which will play a full season of matches week after week and have significant financial backing most certainly is a basic error which is likely to create a poor impression and deter the kind of backers needed from getting involved.

You’re obviously an expert in these matters, remind me which leagues you’ve set up?

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You’re obviously an expert in these matters, remind me which leagues you’ve set up?

Not an expert, but a knowledgeable observer.  Considering how the inclusion of an Italian team not too far from the French border in the French leagues collapsed due to complaints about travel for matches, it's hardly rocket science to know that a multinational RL competition will need serious financial backing and that in view of the game's litany of failed expansion efforts the organizers will need to show a very serious, professional and credible approach to obtain the needed backing.  The fact that Red Star Belgrade has so far not invested any money in the team which bears their name says a lot, and what it says isn't good.

On 15/05/2020 at 08:22, Eddie said:

You have no idea how robust it is and neither does anyone on this forum. 

Here is another robust (ghost) entity for you to sink your teeth into!  How many matches (or even training sessions) have even taken place in Portugal?  Don't answer, it's rhetorical.   #Fact

97426508_833426960481930_696423267381647

4 hours ago, langpark said:

Here is another robust (ghost) entity for you to sink your teeth into!  How many matches (or even training sessions) have even taken place in Portugal?  Don't answer, it's rhetorical.   #Fact

97426508_833426960481930_696423267381647

Champions League?

I’m assuming this will face the usual issue of rugby league people dragging down rugby league people and nothing new will develop without a powerful personality who can break through the very rugby league turf wars.

9 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The fact that Red Star Belgrade has so far not invested any money in the team which bears their name says a lot, and what it says isn't good.

What has that got to do with this thread? Also do you think RSB (the parent organisation not the RL team) are loaded? Because they’re not. 

10 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Screenshot_2020-05-17-11-48-49.thumb.png.371c6c6cb40a1cf04888400eeea0ff11.pngScreenshot_2020-05-17-11-49-05.thumb.png.843f71b048fa5147f2984714fe198b30.pngScreenshot_2020-05-17-11-49-09.thumb.png.7e1c93e754ad62f5798424af15f312f1.pngScreenshot_2020-05-17-11-49-14.thumb.png.df0920d41d496accd7bf0be697af0fbb.pngScreenshot_2020-05-17-11-49-20.thumb.png.962415f814b73403097e9d5656ebfcf4.png

Lots of nonsense in that response, which doesn’t surprise me given who it came from. I can’t be bothered going into detail on a t!t for tat but please show me the results for the 2019 domestic seasons in Spain and Italy.

Clearly a lot of this could have been avoided if they consulted with RLEF in the first place, which as can be seen from the official RLEF statement did not happen

I still want to know why a continental governing body would be putting on a club competition.

If we already have trouble with the NRL's overreach on the international game, how much worse would it be with the RLEF running a club competition?

new rise.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I still want to know why a continental governing body would be putting on a club competition.

If we already have trouble with the NRL's overreach on the international game, how much worse would it be with the RLEF running a club competition?

In the same way UEFA run the Champions League and Europa League. How’s it strange? 

The NRL are a national body, hence the name. Completely different 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Lots of nonsense in that response, which doesn’t surprise me given who it came from. I can’t be bothered going into detail on a t!t for tat but please show me the results for the 2019 domestic seasons in Spain and Italy.

Clearly a lot of this could have been avoided if they consulted with RLEF in the first place, which as can be seen from the official RLEF statement did not happen

Why aren’t you emailing them with your questions instead of trying to look clever on an Internet forum?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Nothing says tinpot and Rugby League quite like an argument over Facebook. A crazy idea that sounded a great idea in future but in a game that is amateur across the continent, it was always going to be a pipe dream. 

Why say it’s a pipe dream before anything has happened? Surely it’s best to wait and see what happens before you start rubbishing other people’s efforts to grow the game. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

In the same way UEFA run the Champions League and Europa League. How’s it strange? 

The NRL are a national body, hence the name. Completely different 

And the NRL are criticised for meddling in the international game. They're not a national body. They're a domestic club competition.

The RLEF need to decide whether they're a club competition or the European governing body.

new rise.jpg

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why say it’s a pipe dream before anything has happened? Surely it’s best to wait and see what happens before you start rubbishing other people’s efforts to grow the game. 

Because within days it’s resorted to an argument on Facebook. That’s hardly the most professional approach from anyone. 

Archived