Euro XIIIs

37 minutes ago, Pulga said:

And the NRL are criticised for meddling in the international game. They're not a national body. They're a domestic club competition.

The RLEF need to decide whether they're a club competition or the European governing body.

The NRL act as a national body and beyond. The whole reason the IRL was beefed up, with RLEF and APRLC sitting beneath them, was to create a more organised structure. 

With regards to your second point, I’m not sure why they need to suddenly ‘decide’ what they are. They’re the European governing body and this is a proposed European competition. 

UEFA govern the Champions League, Europa League and what would’ve been Euro 2020 but now Euro 2021, what is so hard to fathom?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pulga said:

I still want to know why a continental governing body would be putting on a club competition.

If we already have trouble with the NRL's overreach on the international game, how much worse would it be with the RLEF running a club competition?

RLEF has its membership and all domestic competitions are ran under the governance of the RLEF. 

If we didn't have this body in place to control what is happening, then all kinds of competitions would be popping up. Look at the rival Italian groups a few years ago and more recently the split in Greece or even World Rugby and the trouble they caused. 

You NEED a governing body to sanction competitions.

As this proposal includes clubs affiliated to the RLEF through their national bodies and is planned to be a Euro wide competition its obvious why the RLEF should be involved in some capacity. 

Maybe if Euro XIII had approached( and outlined their business plan and ideas to) the RLEF before going public then what seems like becoming a ###### for tat public fall out could have been avoided. 

Who knows, both parties could have come to some agreement that would have benefited everyone. 

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

And the NRL are criticised for meddling in the international game. They're not a national body. They're a domestic club competition.

The RLEF need to decide whether they're a club competition or the European governing body.

Oh wow, you really don't understand how sport works do you??  You are basically comparing UEFA to the FA in England (serious question:  are you unfamiliar with football?  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that if you are, but just tell me so I can use different examples, to show you how far off the mark your comparisons are)

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

So you’re saying there is no club RL played in Spain?

No, he is not saying that, but Dean Buchan (Spanish Rugby League CEO) said it just a couple of months ago on that very same podcast.  He said domestic matches have not been played in Spain for the last two years!  (I am certain you will have a valid comeback for this though, with solid evidence to back it up as always)

53 minutes ago, langpark said:

No, he is not saying that, but Dean Buchan (Spanish Rugby League CEO) said it just a couple of months ago on that very same podcast.  He said domestic matches have not been played in Spain for the last two years!  (I am certain you will have a valid comeback for this though, with solid evidence to back it up as always)

It’s not me that makes fanciful statements, I just call others out for doing so. 

14 hours ago, langpark said:

Oh wow, you really don't understand how sport works do you??  You are basically comparing UEFA to the FA in England (serious question:  are you unfamiliar with football?  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that if you are, but just tell me so I can use different examples, to show you how far off the mark your comparisons are)

Sorry mate, I couldn't name a single soccer player and probably like 3 teams.

new rise.jpg

NRL is a brand. 

It's ran by the ARLC, Australian Rugby League Commission. Which is indeed a National Governing Body equivalent to the RFL. ARLC is a member of IRL and has as its members Queensland RL & NSW RL as well as Clubs. 

Greece RL "distance themselves" from the Euro XIIIs.

Also point out that you had to 'apply' before you could join the meeting. Which is interesting.

https://forty20.news/greece-rl-asks-for-new-euro-league-application-to-be-disregarded/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Greece RL "distance themselves" from the Euro XIIIs.

Also point out that you had to 'apply' before you could join the meeting. Which is interesting.

https://forty20.news/greece-rl-asks-for-new-euro-league-application-to-be-disregarded/

I saw this, although their statement I thought was professional from the Greek RL, you could tell they weren't happy at being misled. It does seem a bit potentially concerning as to how many of the interested parties mentioned as this progressed are fully committed. Not having any Greek teams or Red Star Belgrade is a big loss but I don't blame them especially when they have their own interests. 

14 minutes ago, langpark said:

Very hard to tell, with a rough google translation, but it seems the Germans are also bowing out...

Translates as...

https://www.totalrl.com/new-euro-xiii-competition-set-to-be-launched-in-mainland-europe-in-2021-to-further-sports-expansion/
While all sports activities worldwide are restricted in the Corona crisis, the Rugby League nations are already planning for the time after Corona. A new competition will be launched for all clubs in Europe in 2021
At the start, no German association will participate in the competition because the German association focuses on the development of sports in Germany. In the long term, however, German participation is expected. #NRLD #RugbyLeagueDeutschland #LoveRugbyLeague #DieThirteen

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Are you a rugby league fan out of interest?

man I've been "League'in it" for years... but its hard to be optimistic when they stated 20 nations are keen, but already clubs/nations are saying they haven't been approached .... or  they have said there not interested.

but hay, i hope im wrong.

2 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

man I've been "League'in it" for years... but its hard to be optimistic when they stated 20 nations are keen, but already clubs/nations are saying they haven't been approached .... or  they have said there not interested.

but hay, i hope im wrong.

They said 20 clubs I think, not nations. Anyway you don’t need 20 nations, even if there was just clubs from Spain and Italy it would be good progress. 

Since we are on the subject of European clubs, does anyone know what the scene is like in Portugal, I know they did have quite ambitious plans for youth development at one time and there is an expat community albeit maybe older there, Union 7s seems to do OK from what I have seen, Portugal are/have been on the world circuit. So you would say there could potential not sure location wise would be best, but there is an Algarve stadium although someone is bound to say move magic weekend there! 

50 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Since we are on the subject of European clubs, does anyone know what the scene is like in Portugal, I know they did have quite ambitious plans for youth development at one time and there is an expat community albeit maybe older there, Union 7s seems to do OK from what I have seen, Portugal are/have been on the world circuit. So you would say there could potential not sure location wise would be best, but there is an Algarve stadium although someone is bound to say move magic weekend there! 

Blake Austin has got a few Portuguese caps - that is the limit of my Portuguese RL knowledge, though get Magic in Lisbon and I’m there. 

On 21/05/2020 at 08:23, Eddie said:

They said 20 clubs I think, not nations. Anyway you don’t need 20 nations, even if there was just clubs from Spain and Italy it would be good progress. 

I posted on this topic on the International Forum before I realised it was on here. 

I believe if it does run that instead of one big European competition there should be a few regionalised leagues. 

Balkan Super League 

Western Med for Spanish, Italian etc

Scandinavia 

A league involving Dutch, Belgian, German clubs which I think happened briefly

Maybe one in Eastern Europe.

I'm not saying start with this many leagues but the first two could be the start then if other nations apply they could be grouped accordingly

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I posted on this topic on the International Forum before I realised it was on here. 

I believe if it does run that instead of one big European competition there should be a few regionalised leagues. 

Balkan Super League 

Western Med for Spanish, Italian etc

Scandinavia 

A league involving Dutch, Belgian, German clubs which I think happened briefly

Maybe one in Eastern Europe.

I'm not saying start with this many leagues but the first two could be the start then if other nations apply they could be grouped accordingly

Like this idea. Have a few smaller leagues covering a few nations and have a “Champions League” style competition for each leagues winner. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Where did you get that info, can you share it please?

Twitter @EuroXIIIs is their handle. 

“It's Official!!!

After consulting applicants and partners we are able to confirm that the 2021 competition will be contested by 16 teams rather than the original 8 team format!!!” 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Twitter @EuroXIIIs is their handle. 

“It's Official!!!

After consulting applicants and partners we are able to confirm that the 2021 competition will be contested by 16 teams rather than the original 8 team format!!!” 

I don’t use Twitter so cant look but it’s good to hear though, they must have had some solid bids, and probably moved from the one team per country format that they proposed originally. 

Archived