Euro XIIIs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

One thing I dont understand is, what does 'treading with caution' mean, or achieve?

It's the same with NYC an abundance of people on here are desperate to tell you how and why it will fail and how we should all be distrusting of those involved. Yet it makes no difference whether you or I are cautious or gung ho. It's not our money, we have no decision making power regarding them.

Worst comes to the worst you got a bit excited about something good happening, then it didnt happen.

"Caution" because the fall out IF this venture fails could have a lasting effect on any future development in Europe. 

Its not about one club on the other side of the Atlantic wanting to join an established competition, its about over 20 years of hard work, sweat, tears oh and MONEY spent by a lot of guys being undone, IMHO, by an over ambitious plan.

Moldova Portugal, Austria... 56 draft players..!!! 

IF the numbers add up and the business plan is sound then what concerns me is why some of the more established  continental league playing nations are still unsure and have publicly stated they will not enter clubs. 

They will have seen the proposals, added up the math and the potential of the competition yet are still not convinced it is in their best interests 

So your going to plant 2-5 Draft players in Austria for example and say " there you go get another 17 guys to make a squad. We will find some administrators to run the club then I expect you to be ready to launch a new club,find a venue, sponsors, players. Promote yourselves into the community. Build up a fan base and be ready to take part in a euro wide competition in 12 month's time.Then replicate this four or five times. !!!

That is a massive undertaking.

Why has it not been possible to do this before? 

It takes years of development on the ground knowing the culture of each country. Building bases  and structures. 

I can't think of any other sport that has tried to plant artificial teams from an unknown sport into seven or eight countries, all at once, with no or very little knowledge of the sport in said countries and succeeded. 

That seems to be the plan. 

Failure could see European RL contract to the three or four nations of 20 years ago as people walk away disillusioned. Look at Georgia as an example. 

Sucess would be one of biggest.. NO THE biggest.. achievements in the history of the game. 

Serious I am very very interested in watching this unfold and again good luck and I wish them well. 

Well said Yanto, as always. 

I am a bit confused by this statement that Euro XIII organisers put out on  22nd of May....

To me, this would suggest that there are ongoing talks happening so they can explore ways of co-ordinating this whole thing together with the RLEF.

Yet yesterday's announcements, to me, suggest Euro XIII has already decided that they are pressing on with or without RLEF.  So why give RLEF members the impression that you are trying to work with RLEF, when it seems you are not actually. 

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That may all very well be true. But being "concerned about it" really doesnt achieve an awful lot. 

...and those of you bigging it up (based on little more than a few social media posts) achieves plenty, I would assume.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Well I havent bigged it up at all but yeah, being positive about the game is a pretty good idea.

If fans of the game arent going to support it who is?

L

I am actually a big optimist myself.  But it frustrates me when we as a sport do not learn from past mistakes.  I think you do not need to be a genius to realise that this whole project is being built on pretty flimsy foundations. 

I love rugby league, and I love miracles, but I am also a realist, that's all.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Maybe it's a terrible idea, maybe a brilliant one.

Maybe even the likelihood is that you are right. But so what? What do you gain personally or the game gain as a whole if you are?

Oh dear, where does this "achieve" and "personal gain" obsession of yours come from.  Aren't we all here for the same reason?  To chat about rugby league?  I didn't realise every post made was a mission to 'achieve'.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You say it's on flimsy foundations not because of what you know but what you dont.

Seriously?  Come on.  That is a hilarious comment.  For Austria, Moldova and Portugal, the most evidence we have seen of rugby league activity there until now is a clip art picture of their national flags on euro xiii twitter page.  Now if you are suggesting that there are established rugby league teams in those countries, that have been hiding away from us all these years, waiting for this perfect moment, just to spring out and surprise us all... then what can I say?

29 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The point I'm making is that you are a realist.

I have no idea how this shakes out, you have no idea, nobody on here has any idea. 

You say it's on flimsy foundations not because of what you know but what you dont.

Maybe it's a terrible idea, maybe a brilliant one.

Maybe even the likelihood is that you are right. But so what? What do you gain personally or the game gain as a whole if you are?

Maybe some people, and the game in Europe, will lose something that has taken thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of euros to get to were we are today if this plan fails. 

As a rugby league fan even you wouldn't wish that? 

Its nothing to do with personal gain, anyone involved over the past twenty years is well out of pocket.

Its about whats best for the game. Learning from past experiences and other groups trying to build something without the full support of the whole of the RLEF membership, it usually doesn't end well and the fall out can take a long long time to repair. 

The guy behind this has already failed to deliver on one of his projects yet is now proposing to bring in 56 draft players and set up clubs in places such as Moldova, Portugal and Austria to enter a Euro wide competition that has finance in place and TV contract signed. 

Even Catalans or Toronto couldn't achieve TV contracts yet an amateur competition with clubs not yet in place has done this!!! 

It is an amazing achievement and as I said if they pull it off its the greatest thing ever to happen to the sport. 

As for my "concern" not "really achieving a lot" I think I have achieved enough in 40 years service to be able to voice my concerns on a rugby league forum. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

...and those of you bigging it up (based on little more than a few social media posts) achieves plenty, I would assume.

Who’s bigging it up? Is being pleased about the prospect of it happening and that someone is giving it a go bigging it up? If it is then I’m guilty, and it’s better than just saying it won’t work when you have no idea. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Oh dear, where does this "achieve" and "personal gain" obsession of yours come from.  Aren't we all here for the same reason?  To chat about rugby league?  I didn't realise every post made was a mission to 'achieve'.

Seriously?  Come on.  That is a hilarious comment.  For Austria, Moldova and Portugal, the most evidence we have seen of rugby league activity there until now is a clip art picture of their national flags on euro xiii twitter page.  Now if you are suggesting that there are established rugby league teams in those countries, that have been hiding away from us all these years, waiting for this perfect moment, just to spring out and surprise us all... then what can I say?

You’d have said the same about Canada four years ago. 

8 hours ago, yanto said:

"Caution" because the fall out IF this venture fails could have a lasting effect on any future development in Europe. 

Its not about one club on the other side of the Atlantic wanting to join an established competition, its about over 20 years of hard work, sweat, tears oh and MONEY spent by a lot of guys being undone, IMHO, by an over ambitious plan.

Moldova Portugal, Austria... 56 draft players..!!! 

IF the numbers add up and the business plan is sound then what concerns me is why some of the more established  continental league playing nations are still unsure and have publicly stated they will not enter clubs. 

They will have seen the proposals, added up the math and the potential of the competition yet are still not convinced it is in their best interests 

So your going to plant 2-5 Draft players in Austria for example and say " there you go get another 17 guys to make a squad. We will find some administrators to run the club then I expect you to be ready to launch a new club,find a venue, sponsors, players. Promote yourselves into the community. Build up a fan base and be ready to take part in a euro wide competition in 12 month's time.Then replicate this four or five times. !!!

That is a massive undertaking.

Why has it not been possible to do this before? 

It takes years of development on the ground knowing the culture of each country. Building bases  and structures. 

I can't think of any other sport that has tried to plant artificial teams from an unknown sport into seven or eight countries, all at once, with no or very little knowledge of the sport in said countries and succeeded. 

That seems to be the plan. 

Failure could see European RL contract to the three or four nations of 20 years ago as people walk away disillusioned. Look at Georgia as an example. 

Sucess would be one of biggest.. NO THE biggest.. achievements in the history of the game. 

Serious I am very very interested in watching this unfold and again good luck and I wish them well. 

What happened with Georgia if you don't mind me asking?

41 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Maybe they will, maybe it will be brilliant. 

Who knows. You're free to Express any opinion on here you wish. It's absolutely welcomed.

But again, I'm not sure why one person who doesnt know a whole lot about it saying its likely to be a disaster is being more realistic than someon who doesnt know a whole lot about it saying it's likely to be brilliant.

Don't think I ever said it is going to be a disaster. I have said I am watching with interest and good luck to them. 

Just looked up the Facebook page for ‘Budapest Rugby League’. The badge that appeared on the Euro XIII Twitter page was only uploaded to Facebook yesterday and their activity seems to be promoting what games are on TV. Does this ‘club’ even exist?

24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Just looked up the Facebook page for ‘Budapest Rugby League’. The badge that appeared on the Euro XIII Twitter page was only uploaded to Facebook yesterday and their activity seems to be promoting what games are on TV. Does this ‘club’ even exist?

Please, STOP stating facts and STOP using real evidence to back it up!  That sort of behaviour is not looked upon kindly here.

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It might not exist yet, why should it, Toronto Wolfpack didn’t exist before they started in League One. 

Just now, Eddie said:

It might not exist yet, why should it, Toronto Wolfpack didn’t exist before they started in League One. 

If the majority of the league is like that though it is acceptable to be skeptical.

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It's like any business plan ever. You start off with a business idea, you run your feasibility studies and marketing ideas and build the brand and from there you develop your roadmap or business plan 

19 hours ago, yanto said:

There's some politics going on.

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Then it would be good for credibility purposes to announce a bit more than a poorly done badge from a cheap design software. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Then it would be good for credibility purposes to announce a bit more than a poorly done badge from a cheap design software. 

Obviously you know all about how to set up a new RL club in a new country. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s not related to what I’m saying at all.

It is, you’re criticising what whoever is behind Budapest is doing when you have no idea what their plans are. 

Archived