Euro XIIIs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is, you’re criticising what whoever is behind Budapest is doing when you have no idea what their plans are. 

No I’m not. I’m criticising Euro XIII because they are announcing these teams via social media and offering little insight into these teams and their set-up and that (I can’t find one, if they do) they don’t have a website with articles about these clubs. 

The lack of any insight or write up on these “teams” is continuing to grow the scepticism around this whole thing. It appears to be a poorly run organisation, that doesn’t have a website and is leaving many questions unanswered. 

I chose to seek out ‘Budapest Rugby League’ via the Internet and found a Facebook page that had a new logo, the same one used by Euro XIII, added to it a day or two ago and it’s posts were simply the Rugby League equivalent of the Radio Times. No mention of games, no mention of players, no mention of joining Euro XIII, no mention of anything other than what is on Sky this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If the majority of the league is like that though it is acceptable to be skeptical.

I think it the same  way , but if this competition can be use to reform or build new teams across this country's,  for me is welcomed always.  Did this situation looks a little bit awkward??? Absolutely yes . For some countries every competition is a huge opportunity to gain notoriety and potential investment,  for me personally from this competition only non relevant countries team can gain experience and maby be a big help to push RL development in this country's.  

22 minutes ago, naldo88 said:

I think it the same  way , but if this competition can be use to reform or build new teams across this country's,  for me is welcomed always.  Did this situation looks a little bit awkward??? Absolutely yes . For some countries every competition is a huge opportunity to gain notoriety and potential investment,  for me personally from this competition only non relevant countries team can gain experience and maby be a big help to push RL development in this country's.  

Aye I think it does have immense potential. It just looks a bit built on sand and somewhat unprofessional. 

I'd be looking to announce teams centrally and with a website. As it stands right now I could have "set this up", badges and all from my bedroom in Yorkshire.

44 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Hope the Chișinău Cheetahs from Moldova makes it in.

You wrote that just to show off your skills with foreign letters.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Oh dear what a shame. Did they really get 8000 to their first ever home game?? The Georgians really do love their rugby.

Over 15,000 in Tblisi when the Dutch played the world cup qualifier there in 2006. 

People really need to stop comparing some of the teams in this competition to Toronto... Firstly Toronto didn't suddenly appear in 2017, it is well documented that Eric Perez started conversations with the RFL in 2014 before being admitted in 2016 for the 2017 competition. 

Secondly, Toronto had at least one significant backer lined up, who paid a significant fee just to get the Franchise into League One, most likely more than what this entire League will have as budget.

Thirdly, Perez had been involved in the Canada Rugby League for at least four years prior to even approaching the RFL, and in that time had already built a significant network of partners, had a Canada RL TV show on Sportsnet, and was drawing solid crowds for the Wolverines. 

Now of the teams so far admitted or being talked about being admitted, in fairness Budapest Rugby League is not new, and played games against teams from the Czech Republic (Mad Squirrels being one of them), and hosted the West Warriors from London in 2018.  Dublin Blues and Brussels have existed in the past as well, however they all have one common thing, none have played a game in either 2019 or 2020, which is concerning heading into a new competition.

This doesn't mean they can't be successful or the competition can't work, but when you throw in Valencia (who have only played one match due to COVID-19), the new Italian team being formed for this competition, and new clubs from Moldova, Austria and Portugal, that's half your competition with only one game between them for the 24 months leading in.

Now if this was a Professional competition, I'd have less concerns, as there would be money floating about and you'd know the clubs would be investing in structures, building players, sorting out venues, etc, but considering it is going to be a bunch amateur organisations, who haven't run for a couple of years, and without any 'heartland' to hold it together, it is a real uphill battle to make this work.

The concern, and as @yanto has rightfully pointed out, is this failing could undo a lot of good work and burn a lot of volunteers, and unfortunately there is more going against it being a success than for...  I sincerely hope it is a success, as we need a competition for continental Europe, but not sure this will be the one that delivers that...

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Obviously you know all about how to set up a new RL club in a new country. 

For you to throw a comment about like that may be disrespectful to the guy who you know nothing about, apart from his name on this forum. 

Some people may have that experience and more. 

Some people may have actually set up clubs, competitions and national sides. 

Some people may have experience with bringing in Kiwis and Aussies to play in Europe. (Proposed draft players??) 

Some people may have experience in the working of visas, embassies and working permits, even inside Europe never mind draft players from overseas. 

Some people may have organised travel, accommodation, meals, training venues, playing venues etc for incoming and outgoing teams and officials. 

Some people may have attracted sponsors, backers even TV coverage. 

Some people may actually surprise you what they have done when they are not sitting behind a keyboard. 

Some people may know that it takes more than money, pins in maps and loads of enthusiasm to turn ideas into reality and more importantly sustain and grow their plans. Look no further than failures of expansion in the pro game in the UK for example. 

I watch with interest and again wish them well. 

OK lots of luddites have had plenty of opinions. 

Let's hear how and why people think this could be a success. 

Does anyone know who is going to run the proposed clubs in Portugal, Moldova and Austria for example. 

Knowing the Brussels set up very well I don't think they will be a problem and could actually be one of the favourites to take out the first final.

If they get five experienced draft players they will be a strong side. ?

29 minutes ago, yanto said:

For you to throw a comment about like that may be disrespectful to the guy who you know nothing about, apart from his name on this forum. 

Some people may have that experience and more. 

Some people may have actually set up clubs, competitions and national sides. 

Some people may have experience with bringing in Kiwis and Aussies to play in Europe. (Proposed draft players??) 

Some people may have experience in the working of visas, embassies and working permits, even inside Europe never mind draft players from overseas. 

Some people may have organised travel, accommodation, meals, training venues, playing venues etc for incoming and outgoing teams and officials. 

Some people may have attracted sponsors, backers even TV coverage. 

Some people may actually surprise you what they have done when they are not sitting behind a keyboard. 

Some people may know that it takes more than money, pins in maps and loads of enthusiasm to turn ideas into reality and more importantly sustain and grow their plans. Look no further than failures of expansion in the pro game in the UK for example. 

I watch with interest and again wish them well. 

I know some people have mate, and respect to them, but I also know that individual hasn’t so my comment was reasonable. 

Let's have a working group, right here, let's look at the costs of operating one of these euroxiii teams, let's say in the 1st full season, 2022. 16 Teams involved in this cup and the league. 

1. Return flight of up to 5 draft players lets say 3 from Australia and 2 from England. = £7,000

2. Accommodation for 5 draft players, 3 weeks pre season, 5 weeks Cup, 14 weeks league season, 4 weeks playoffs. = 26 weeks, 6 month short term lease on a decent 5 bedroom house. Let's budget £20,000. 

3. Daily living allowance for 5 draft players, £40 x 5 = 200 quid a day. £1400 per week. £37,000

So we are looking at about £65,000 per team per year just on the cost of having Draft Players. 

Away Game Travel ?

Away Game Accomodation ?

Home Game Venue Hire ? 

Insurance ? 

Etc, etc, 

Thoughts???

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Let's have a working group, right here, let's look at the costs of operating one of these euroxiii teams, let's say in the 1st full season, 2022. 16 Teams involved in this cup and the league. 

1. Return flight of up to 5 draft players lets say 3 from Australia and 2 from England. = £7,000

2. Accommodation for 5 draft players, 3 weeks pre season, 5 weeks Cup, 14 weeks league season, 4 weeks playoffs. = 26 weeks, 6 month short term lease on a decent 5 bedroom house. Let's budget £20,000. 

3. Daily living allowance for 5 draft players, £40 x 5 = 200 quid a day. £1400 per week. £37,000

So we are looking at about £65,000 per team per year just on the cost of having Draft Players. 

Away Game Travel ?

Away Game Accomodation ?

Home Game Venue Hire ? 

Insurance ? 

Etc, etc, 

Thoughts???

Gonna say £6,000 per return flight as an average for 25 players and staff. Say a Max of 16 Flights to games a year. ,

£96,000 on air travel to away games.

8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Gonna say £6,000 per return flight as an average for 25 players and staff. Say a Max of 16 Flights to games a year. ,

£96,000 on air travel to away games.

Instead of speculating and asking questions of people on an Internet forum, none of whom have any idea what’s planned, why don’t you wrote to the people behind the plan and ask them? 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Instead of speculating and asking questions of people on an Internet forum, none of whom have any idea what’s planned, why don’t you wrote to the people behind the plan and ask them? 

Yeah they are going to give a randomer detailed operating info. 

Maybe I want to speculate on a RL fans forum. 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who are the people behind this? 

Got bored so fired off an email to Euro XIIIs expressing an interest in joining this, to see what it was all about and how serious they are as an organisation. 

I made up a team in a capital city that (the team) had never played a game of Rugby League, knocking up a quick badge in the process.

Got an email back asking for a number to contact me on, give them one and received a call from a person high up in this (I won’t name him). A 15-20 minute conversation ensued and it was largely a sales pitch from Euro XIII with very few questions about my club, nothing to do with how we’d finance it at all or where players would come from. 

Basically, all I have to do now is fill in a form and wait. 

I thought it was bad but it’s comically bad. 

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What did you expect to happen

Vetting around the club, where it’s players would come from, how they’re going to finance potentially four trips across Europe in the space of about 6-8 weeks next year, information on coaches, questions as to why this and not a localised League, sponsorship, what they’re bringing to this competition, any broadcasting potential, information on how draft players would be housed etc. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Got bored so fired off an email to Euro XIIIs expressing an interest in joining this, to see what it was all about and how serious they are as an organisation. 

I made up a team in a capital city that (the team) had never played a game of Rugby League, knocking up a quick badge in the process.

Got an email back asking for a number to contact me on, give them one and received a call from a person high up in this (I won’t name him). A 15-20 minute conversation ensued and it was largely a sales pitch from Euro XIII with very few questions about my club, nothing to do with how we’d finance it at all or where players would come from. 

Basically, all I have to do now is fill in a form and wait. 

I thought it was bad but it’s comically bad. 

So you completely mislead someone and wasted their time in the process because you were bored? How old are you, 13?

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Vetting around the club, where it’s players would come from, how they’re going to finance potentially four trips across Europe in the space of about 6-8 weeks next year, information on coaches, questions as to why this and not a localised League, sponsorship, what they’re bringing to this competition, any broadcasting potential, information on how draft players would be housed etc. 

Ive heard its Spanish and Italian people behind this idea and its an amatuer comp rather than a pro comp thats been proposed by the the RLEF?

Archived