Euro XIIIs

6 minutes ago, del capo said:

They were always tough affairs but the NCL sides usually came out on top. The French outfits were normally bigger and had plenty of flair but lacked the structure and defensive organisation of the top NCL clubs.

The games have not taken place in recent years nor have the NCL Eagles games against the French Federales select.

At a rough guess I would say that NCL Premiers and Elite 2  are of similar standing

Its a shame as Elite 2 was not too bad around 20 years ago, I attended a few finals saw clubs like Cahors/Bacares/St Cyprien/Palau on a regular basis the standard was quite good and the matches always enjoyable.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No more Northern European clubs after Brussels because its beneficial to the organisors to have clubs based in Eastern Europe and the mederterainian countries due to the cheaper costs.

Trust me on this and clever thinking if I may say so. ?

Understandable as a business .

Also going to use the off season hotels/ cheaper air flights  into  Spain to fly clubs into play games in  the first year cup competition.

Expect to see at least four games involving none Spanish clubs  held in or around Valencia ? .

Just what I am digging up as I look further into how this will pan out.

1 hour ago, yanto said:

No more Northern European clubs after Brussels because its beneficial to the organisors to have clubs based in Eastern Europe and the mederterainian countries due to the cheaper costs.

Trust me on this and clever thinking if I may say so. ?

Understandable as a business .

Also going to use the off season hotels/ cheaper air flights  into  Spain to fly clubs into play games in  the first year cup competition.

Expect to see at least four games involving none Spanish clubs  held in or around Valencia ? .

Just what I am digging up as I look further into how this will pan out.

Dublin is Northern Europe?

On 02/06/2020 at 23:07, The Daddy said:

No it looks like the Dublin team is the Dublin Blues who have been around for a while 

While the name "Dublin Blues" has been used a few times, I don't think this Euro XIIIs side has anything to do with the original Dublin Blues that was founded in 1989 (and that Brian Carney started with). That Dublin Blues folded, I believe, in the early 2000s.

A fellow by the name of Kieron Brown was talked about in 2018 as being behind an application for a Dublin team (that he called "Dublin Blues") joining League 1: 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7166223/dublin-blues-eye-rugby-league-league-one-place-in-ireland/amp/

The Euro XIIIs outfit might have something to do with the League 1 bid crowd from 2018.

Atlanta Rhinos

@AtlantaRhinos

This is going to be awesome! We’re so glad to be a part of the growth of rugby league! Stay tuned for how to register for the draft process here in the USA for the

@EuroXIIIs

#growthegame #rugbyleague #euro13s

Atlanta Georgia announced as draft location number 2, or should that be daft location?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Just spent the last hour and a half listening to a podcast from Rugby League in America via the Atlanta Rhinos  link. 

An ' Operating Committee ' has decided the 16 teams and will drip feed info over the coming days/weeks. Draft choices will take place but the clubs will have info/ videos etc  up to a month beforehand.

Massive enthusiasts. Whether they are visionaries or fantasists remains to be seen . No talk of cost anywhere but  agree with Yanto that pitched as off season  each match should cost no more than perhaps 4-5K. A League would be totally different. So maybe get away with 100k for the Cup

Podcast says 4 English clubs applied. It's a good listen and I recommend it.

My waters tell me there's a big moneyman behind this venture but of course I could be wrong.

So yes Scotchy a touch more positive , but would still like to see the structure , admin and finances first. The guy from Valencia actually used the words  ' due diligence ' at one stage...……...

1 hour ago, del capo said:

So yes Scotchy a touch more positive , but would still like to see the structure , admin and finances first. The guy from Valencia actually used the words  ' due diligence ' at one stage...……...

I’d like to see them too but really the finances are none of our business, why should they publicise them? I wouldn’t if I was them. 

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d like to see them too but really the finances are none of our business, why should they publicise them? I wouldn’t if I was them. 

Because if you want an objective view as to feasibility you need some idea of what the central costs are, what the costs to the individual participants are likely to be, what the American and Australian ( so far ) draft costs are  etc.

The drip feed  of news is a great marketing exercise especially when looking at teams yet to play a game or if they have not even worthy of the lowest division in any UK regional competition.

Credibility is everything. None more so than with the existing  UK European and World RL organisations - which at present seems to be lacking. If they want that then they need to present their costed business plan.  For instance no affiliated UK club would be allowed to enter such a competition without the approval of  CBIG , a sub committee of  RFL Community Board  who would check out everything from insurance  travel and hotel arrangements through to match day  medical cover.

And when it comes to the overall finance you would want it to be legitimate and clean. Obviously it will be but again that's where due diligence  is needed for it to be a sanctioned activity .

I still think there is a major  financial backer  out there yet to be declared as it is otherwise a lovely, really lovely idea but one that could so easily crash and burn, to the upset of all of us.....and definitely potentially disastrous for the fledgling European game.

10 minutes ago, del capo said:

Because if you want an objective view as to feasibility you need some idea of what the central costs are, what the costs to the individual participants are likely to be, what the American and Australian ( so far ) draft costs are  etc.

The drip feed  of news is a great marketing exercise especially when looking at teams yet to play a game or if they have not even worthy of the lowest division in any UK regional competition.

Credibility is everything. None more so than with the existing  UK European and World RL organisations - which at present seems to be lacking. If they want that then they need to present their costed business plan.  For instance no affiliated UK club would be allowed to enter such a competition without the approval of  CBIG , a sub committee of  RFL Community Board  who would check out everything from insurance  travel and hotel arrangements through to match day  medical cover.

And when it comes to the overall finance you would want it to be legitimate and clean. Obviously it will be but again that's where due diligence  is needed for it to be a sanctioned activity .

I still think there is a major  financial backer  out there yet to be declared as it is otherwise a lovely, really lovely idea but one that could so easily crash and burn, to the upset of all of us.....and definitely potentially disastrous for the fledgling European game.

I doubt they want an objective view from the public or people on this forum though, why would they. They have no need to relate their finances to fans and I don’t know why they’d want to. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt they want an objective view from the public or people on this forum though, why would they. They have no need to relate their finances to fans and I don’t know why they’d want to. 

It's a forum Eddie. That's what we talk about. 

If they want my humble support then even  they need to earn it.

If they want the support of the Powers that be then they will only get  it if they show them the mustard

Are you involved in this enterprise ?

5 minutes ago, del capo said:

It's a forum Eddie. That's what we talk about. 

If they want my humble support then even  they need to earn it.

If they want the support of the Powers that be then they will only get  it if they show them the mustard

I know it’s what we talk about, but you seem to think that somehow the scheme is only feasible if you personally understand the financing of it. There may be a rich backer, but if there is he/she/they might want to remain anonymous - who knows. Maybe there isn’t a rich backer and it will be done by enthusiastic volunteers and fundraising. I agree they might have said and I’d love to know too, but I haven’t actually heard them asked it on either of the podcasts I’ve listed to either  

I don’t know I’m not involved but regardless of how it’s financed I’m excited about the prospect of it and I really hope it succeeds. If it does it will be massive for N Hemisphere RL, surely we all want that. And to give it a better chance of success it would be great if RL fans throw their support behind it instead of looking for reasons why it might fail and looking forward to saying I told you so.

As for getting the support of the powers that be, who are those powers that be, those that have fiddled while RL in France has weakened massively and nothing of any significance has happened anywhere else in Europe? If so then why would they want their support?

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know it’s what we talk about, but you seem to think that somehow the scheme is only feasible if you personally understand the financing of it. There may be a rich backer, but if there is he/she/they might want to remain anonymous - who knows. Maybe there isn’t a rich backer and it will be done by enthusiastic volunteers and fundraising. I agree they might have said and I’d love to know too, but I haven’t actually heard them asked it on either of the podcasts I’ve listed to either  

I don’t know I’m not involved but regardless of how it’s financed I’m excited about the prospect of it and I really hope it succeeds. If it does it will be massive for N Hemisphere RL, surely we all want that. And to give it a better chance of success it would be great if RL fans throw their support behind it instead of looking for reasons why it might fail and looking forward to saying I told you so.

As for getting the support of the powers that be, who are those powers that be, those that have fiddled while RL in France has weakened massively and nothing of any significance has happened anywhere else in Europe? If so then why would they want their support?

I share your enthusiasm . The mystery  surrounding the twitter releases is more than entertaining.  Personal views are what they are - both yours and mine. You opened this thread with a reference to Luddites so I accept  you may have an issue with status quo.

Our game needs to move forward if it is to thrive let alone survive. This competition is innovative but it remains perfectly legitimate to question aspects of it rather than simply cheering for it blindly.

The powers that be have in fact not done too badly in terms of sending sides out in the last few years ( at great cost I might add to UK  Community club sides ) to play European  National Teams . This new competition seems to give one club in a country national status , largely because they have had little  internal development. That has been down to individual countries  , Spain included.  It's an interesting model with which I do not necessarily disagree but please recognise it for what it is.

And as to finances I personally do not need to know them . I've sent more than one team abroad in my day. I know what is needed.  Someone exterior to this competition just needs to check the gas to avoid a Hindenburg catastrophe...…...

And finally if it is being financed totally by the clubs themselves then God bless them . They could all  have  been given   dozens of games in  England  at an appropriate level if the had wanted

Actually made contact with the group. 

Not for me until I see results and full details which are sketchy. 

Still can't get the math to add up. 

All team travel and accommodation will be covered. 

Round 1

Eight teams travel and accommodation 

Round 2

Four teams travel and accommodation. 

Semi finals

Four teams travel and accommodation to Valencia 

Final 

Two teams travel and accommodation. Again Valencia 

Eighteen teams travel with a minimum of 20 personnel. 

That's 360 flights and 180 shared hotel rooms. 

Estimated / concervative outlay 108,000 euro!!!!!! 

Add on the flights for 56 draft players. 

Transport and team accommodation a cool estimate of 164,000 from experience in taking teams around Europe and knowing costs 

That's for a knock out cup of four rounds before the staging of the games. 

For a competition in 2021 involving 32 teams you can only guess at the costs. 

The guy is either very rich, has massive backers or....

Also say four draft players for eight weeks. The clubs, if they take the full quota, have to provided accommodation and keep them.Draft players only get their flights then they become the clubs responsibility 

So what costs? 

What allowence do you have to pay. No ones going to come from Brisbane or Atlanta if they have to pay their own way for eight to ten weeks 

Sorry guys still all sounds to good to be true. 

Personal note **

MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE shock when Rotterdam Pitbulls were named today ?

11 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Are you feeling a bit more positive about it?

After 20 years on the continent and talking to guys from some of the clubs that have been named (and some who have turned down the offer) I am hearing what I would describe as guys I know to be sensible being sucked into a project that I would love to be successful but I still have big reservations about. I would hate to see some well meaning enthusiastic guys doing great development work getting burned. 

Going to sit this one out. ?

Just caught up with this. My interest was piqued when Chasing Kangaroos pod said five English clubs have applied. 

I find it very odd that this venture is at odds with the RLEF’s own efforts to develop their own European club competition but I will watch developments with cautious optimism.

49 minutes ago, yanto said:

Round 1

Round 2

Semi finals

Final 

Two teams travel and accommodation. Again Valencia 

Eighteen teams travel with a minimum of 20 personnel. 

That's 360 flights and 180 shared hotel rooms. 

Estimated / concervative outlay 108,000 euro!!!!!! 

Add on the flights for 56 draft players. 

Transport and team accommodation a cool estimate of 164,000 from experience in taking teams around Europe and knowing costs 

That's for a knock out cup of four rounds before the staging of the games. 

For a competition in 2021 involving 32 teams you can only guess at the costs. 

The guy is either very rich, has massive backers or....

Also say four draft players for eight weeks. The clubs, if they take the full quota, have to provided accommodation and keep them.Draft players only get their flights then they become the clubs responsibility 

So what costs? 

What allowence do you have to pay. No ones going to come from Brisbane or Atlanta if they have to pay their own way for eight to ten weeks 

Sorry guys still all sounds to good to be true. 

Personal note **

Yanto whilst I agree with your general sentiments, I do slightly disagree with your comment on people coming from Australia for 8-10 weeks. If flights are paid for, then the opportunity to play footy and travel around Europe for a couple of months is very appealing for some decent level amateurs

5 hours ago, del capo said:

Good question, which he conveniently dodged!

He so staunchly defends absolutely everything they do, yet seems unable to spot the slightest of flaws in their plan, I am convinced the answer to you question is 'yes'. 

I am excited by this venture and would love to see it succeed, not least because there is a team from Dublin involved (Dublin Blues were the team who were looking at entry into league 1 BTW). But, and there's always a but, I do wonder where the money is coming from. Even with just 4 rounds this will be expensive with all the associated costs. If there is a wealthy backer covering all the costs fair enough, but I can't see how amateur clubs, some of them start ups, will have the money to do it. I mean we are talking league 1 budgets for 4 matches. 

Genuinely hope it succeeds but I can't help feeling sceptical about it all. 

2 hours ago, yanto said:

Round 1

Round 2

Semi finals

Personal note **

Out of curiosity, what shocks you so much about this team entering?

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I am excited by this venture and would love to see it succeed, not least because there is a team from Dublin involved (Dublin Blues were the team who were looking at entry into league 1 BTW). But, and there's always a but, I do wonder where the money is coming from. Even with just 4 rounds this will be expensive with all the associated costs. If there is a wealthy backer covering all the costs fair enough, but I can't see how amateur clubs, some of them start ups, will have the money to do it. I mean we are talking league 1 budgets for 4 matches. 

Genuinely hope it succeeds but I can't help feeling sceptical about it all. 

I agree. I can't understand the international tryouts, when a team could just play one game and then get knocked out of the competition. I think it would be better to start with about six well funded teams playing in a round-robin format. Quality over quantity, then build incrementally.

That said, I hope I'm wrong, and this develops into a successful tournament.

Archived