Euro XIIIs

Just now, Tre Cool said:

I'm an optimist and an expansionist but this is just ridiculous.  Complete pie in the sky and if it wasn't the standard of football would be terrible.

How is it pie in the sky if it’s happening?

Go back to 1829 and people like you would be telling Stevenson his idea was pie in the sky. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Draft location 3 = Birmingham. I’m guessing the West Midlands version rather than Alabama, but you can’t be sure with Euro XIIIs. 

I've previously said I want to see this competition succeed despite reservations. After this announcement my skepticism has just increased massively. Birmingham has one RL team, Birmingham Bulldogs, who are a well run team doing a great job of developing the game there. However, where are they going to get draft players from in Birmingham! Are they going to run trials and how are they going to decide how to pay these players? I assume these players won't play for free? 

There's just too many questions about this whole thing. There seems to be a total lack of transparency and too many questions unanswered. 

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I've previously said I want to see this competition succeed despite reservations. After this announcement my skepticism has just increased massively. Birmingham has one RL team, Birmingham Bulldogs, who are a well run team doing a great job of developing the game there. However, where are they going to get draft players from in Birmingham! Are they going to run trials and how are they going to decide how to pay these players? I assume these players won't play for free? 

There's just too many questions about this whole thing. There seems to be a total lack of transparency and too many questions unanswered. 

I saw Birmingham as a central location that people can get to from the Heartlands or London when I saw it, not that it would just be for people from Birmingham. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Draft location 3 = Birmingham. I’m guessing the West Midlands version rather than Alabama, but you can’t be sure with Euro XIIIs. 

Oh Dear..…….

Complete lack of transparency from start to whatever the finish might be. National teams pitched against yet to be formed clubs.... Forget the draft as Yanto suggested and go for a ' Jolly Boys Trip ' to maintain some  semblance of credibility......

Otherwise as they say in Dragons Den    I'm out

Between the extremes of thinking the EUROXIII is the simple key to world domination and those who completely write it off are many many of us across emerging nation's that both understand the hard work, huge financial investment and still dream. 

The EUROXIII concept is a significant step with some present unknowns however you can only truly sell something when you have a product. 

There is already great work being done across the Balkans that we will continue to engage. Serbia no doubt leads the charge but we also believe Turkey one day can be the leader outside of the UK and France. Hopefully others disagree and step it up as well. Belgrade will be hard to catch.

In Turkey, we believe that Anadolu XIII can help us take the next step. The team won't be the national side as that is made up of players from Turkey, across Europe and heritage players from other nations. It is planned that we will represent our nation as well as we can. 

Maybe it will fail, maybe it will not all work out the way we hope but the momentum from creating this platform is already helping create momentum. 

I think you will find that within ten years, places like Turkey as a whole will have a stronger playing base than areas in the English heartlands and we will be knocking on your door asking for the chance to take your silverware as well. Maybe I am wrong but only time will tell. We have only been going since 2016 just imagine another ten years.

In the meantime follow us online ?

All major social media at /anadoluxiii

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I saw Birmingham as a central location that people can get to from the Heartlands or London when I saw it, not that it would just be for people from Birmingham. 

That's kinda my point. I doubt people will travel to Birmingham for some sort of trial that isn't sanctioned by the RFL. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Wait til a ball is kicked before you hail it a success, geez! 

I haven’t once hailed it a success pal, as I’ve said all along I’m open minded and don’t think it’s necessary to rubbish it at every opportunity. If it doesn’t work then ok, at least someone has given it a go. 

50 minutes ago, del capo said:

Oh Dear..…….

Complete lack of transparency from start to whatever the finish might be. National teams pitched against yet to be formed clubs.... Forget the draft as Yanto suggested and go for a ' Jolly Boys Trip ' to maintain some  semblance of credibility......

Otherwise as they say in Dragons Den    I'm out

I’m sure they’ll be devastated to lose your support. 

28 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

That's kinda my point. I doubt people will travel to Birmingham for some sort of trial that isn't sanctioned by the RFL. 

Really? I would if I was a 20 year old with the chance to play a game or two in an exciting new foreign competition. I guess it’s not really intended for people who have never and never intended to leave West Yorkshire. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m sure they’ll be devastated to lose your support. 

Dragons tend to know what they are on about.

There are 4/5  of them on the TV show. On what has been shown so far they'd all say I'm out  as well because in reality nothing has been shown to make this offering  a structured and progressive  activity and therefore worthwhile.

I'd love to be able to say I'm in but I can't  yet because it's still all smoke and mirrors...

And as for a draft in Birmingham - What's that all about when the playing strength in this competition ( draftees apart )  will struggle to get above Tier 5 ?

And by the way more than willing to lend my support once the full picture is presented. Probably insignificant I appreciate but you never know. I'm joining Yanto at the moment and sitting this one out to see what happens.

57 minutes ago, del capo said:

Dragons tend to know what they are on about.

There are 4/5  of them on the TV show. On what has been shown so far they'd all say I'm out  as well because in reality nothing has been shown to make this offering  a structured and progressive  activity and therefore worthwhile.

I'd love to be able to say I'm in but I can't  yet because it's still all smoke and mirrors...

And as for a draft in Birmingham - What's that all about when the playing strength in this competition ( draftees apart )  will struggle to get above Tier 5 ?

And by the way more than willing to lend my support once the full picture is presented. Probably insignificant I appreciate but you never know. I'm joining Yanto at the moment and sitting this one out to see what happens.

On the contrary, I’m sitting it out, you are slating it at every opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Really? I would if I was a 20 year old with the chance to play a game or two in an exciting new foreign competition. I guess it’s not really intended for people who have never and never intended to leave West Yorkshire. 

Serious Eddie. 

The guy is willing to fly guys from RL hotbeds such as Atlanta and now Birmingham. 

Is the standard in the Midlands or Atlanta any higher than at Rotterdam or Brussels. 

I thought the draft was aimed at giving the clubs "experienced rugby league players" to help raise the standards. West Yorkshire lads could do that if the right boys took the opportunity. 

So the clubs will be paying for players, coming from the lowest levels of the amateur game, that may turn out to be no better than they guys they already have.

Honest I'm really struggling to see the benefits. 

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

On the contrary, I’m sitting it out, you are slating it at every opportunity. 

Eddie its not slating it. Its discussing. You put forward your opinion others put forward theirs. 

Believe me there are some experienced guys discussing this..

All are really hoping this comes off. 

It will be the biggest break through in the history of the game if it can be sustained, grow and become profitable. 

Nowt wrong with looking at all the angles pal. 

OK let's put it this way. 

I have the very professionally produced PDF telling us about the Euro XIII and what it hopes to achieve. I also have the official application form. 

I also have made contact with Euro XIII. 

It all sounds great but with one glaring omission.... DETAIL. 

46 minutes ago, yanto said:

Serious Eddie. 

The guy is willing to fly guys from RL hotbeds such as Atlanta and now Birmingham. 

Is the standard in the Midlands or Atlanta any higher than at Rotterdam or Brussels. 

I thought the draft was aimed at giving the clubs "experienced rugby league players" to help raise the standards. West Yorkshire lads could do that if the right boys took the opportunity. 

So the clubs will be paying for players, coming from the lowest levels of the amateur game, that may turn out to be no better than they guys they already have.

Honest I'm really struggling to see the benefits. 

Look, if there is a draft in the UK I expect there will be lads going from all over the place to it, not just the heartlands (where if they’re any good they’ll already be playing in a decent competition such as the NCL), so it makes sense to have it centrally imho. Also having it out of the heartlands sends a message that this is an expansionist idea, hence why (I assume) they’re not having it in Halifax. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I haven’t once hailed it a success pal. 

You just said this earlier today: "How is it pie in the sky if it’s happening?"

You seem to be the only one on this forum so convinced of that. Could it be a case of the whole world is insane except for you?

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Look, if there is a draft in the UK I expect there will be lads going from all over the place to it, not just the heartlands (where if they’re any good they’ll already be playing in a decent competition such as the NCL), so it makes sense to have it centrally imho. Also having it out of the heartlands sends a message that this is an expansionist idea, hence why (I assume) they’re not having it in Halifax. 

So the clubs are not getting "experienced rugby league players" to assist in the development of the home grown players. 

Its an "expansionist idea" to raise the standards in Europe not some freebie for low level guys who fancy a couple of week on the continent. No disrespect to those guys. 

If I was taking four draft players and paying for their upkeep I would expect them to be of a far higher level than my current squad. I was under the impression that was the aim  of this draft system. To get quality guys in the 16 teams to assist the locals. 

So what benefit will the CLUBS get having spend money to look after these draft players. 

Asking for friend. 

20 minutes ago, langpark said:

You just said this earlier today: "How is it pie in the sky if it’s happening?"

You seem to be the only one on this forum so convinced of that. Could it be a case of the whole world is insane except for you?

The clubs have signed up and drafts are being arranged - ie at the moment it is happening. I don’t think I’m the only one who’s supportive of this, it’s just that you and a few other objectors are shouting loudest. 

Anyway if it happens I’ll be delighted and you can say you wanted it to work. If it doesn’t I’ll be glad that they gave it a go and you can revel in saying you told us so. Everyone’s a winner. 

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And you have a sufficiently qualified staff ( at least coaching wise level 3  before you even get into mentoring etc ) to advise your recipient clubs on the draft level for these guys and their cost ?  No idea what your draft guidelines are by the way.

Getting serious now Eddie and  I don't want to fall out with anyone on this forum but have you  yourself ever put together a full away tour ,  recruited  youth players on an on going basis and actually built a club  from top to bottom ( including the bricks and mortar ) or put out a  truly  competitive  first team squad for  a week in week out 26 week season. ?

Yanto is right when he says that  there are some serious players on this thread and they all wish this venture well , but also recognise the consequences of it not being got totally right...…......

I advise tou all to take a look at some of the tweets put out by euro xiii earlier today. Several well-respected people in the game asking very reasonable questions and are either being met with the usual cryptic answers, or with aggressive responses.

Eddie? Do you run their twitter account by any chance mate?

7 hours ago, langpark said:

I advise tou all to take a look at some of the tweets put out by euro xiii earlier today. Several well-respected people in the game asking very reasonable questions and are either being met with the usual cryptic answers, or with aggressive responses.

Eddie? Do you run their twitter account by any chance mate?

That’s a bit harsh, I don’t think I’ve been cryptic and I certainly haven’t been aggressive. I’m just trying to be optimistic about something that, if it comes off, could be great for the game. 

On the subject of Irish clubs that has been mentioned I know we have Dublin Blues already. However on further research Rugby League is being played in a different format to the GAA and union which is unusual . They have the All Ireland Rugby league championship (Ireland National League) in that are 12 teams spread across All Ireland. Usually for GAA and union they have a provincial tournament such as Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connnacht. I imagine this is due to the number of teams. 

However when you look at the 12 clubs involved they are well spread out with a further 2 Dublin teams that are not including the Blues so I hope it doesn't affect the other 2 clubs.

However all the major places in All Ireland are covered Belfast, Dublin, Galway, Cork and Limerick. Personally Rugby League is suited for Ireland due to their love of contact sport however you have to balance that with also their love of GAA which is a summer sport, with hurling finishing July and Football in September. 

With Cork and Limerick having teams their is the potential for a Munster RL team maybe calling it Munster 13s or similar might separate it from its union counterpart and with Belfast developing 3 teams with another in Portadown you could have your Ulster 13s. The union sides have a clear player pathway to provincial Union which is played in the Pro 14 league. If links were developed with GAA and union clubs a double header GAA and RL games could be played which in time would lead to them (Ulster and Munster) potentially joining Dublin Blues on this Euro 13s idea. Dublin Blues are starting a brand by scratch with Dublin City Exiles already established it will be interesting to follow their journey 

Archived