Euro XIIIs

14 hours ago, Anadolu XIII said:

Maybe it will fail, maybe it will not all work out the way we hope but the momentum from creating this platform is already helping create momentum. 

Interesting comment. May I respectfully ask what you would define as "momentum"? Has there been a surge of new players signing up since the announcement or something like that?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, yanto said:

Serious Eddie. 

The guy is willing to fly guys from RL hotbeds such as Atlanta and now Birmingham. 

Is the standard in the Midlands or Atlanta any higher than at Rotterdam or Brussels. 

I thought the draft was aimed at giving the clubs "experienced rugby league players" to help raise the standards. West Yorkshire lads could do that if the right boys took the opportunity. 

So the clubs will be paying for players, coming from the lowest levels of the amateur game, that may turn out to be no better than they guys they already have.

Honest I'm really struggling to see the benefits. 

Yanto, I find your comments about Birmingham being the location of the draft a bit baffling.

I have followed with great interest your postings over the years about the hard work that you have undertaken to grow the game overseas and the players that came on board who had to travel fair distances to play.

Therefore why does a draft held in Birmingham mean that it will only attract players from the ‘lowest level’ and stop ‘experienced rugby league players’ driving 100 miles to attend the draft?

Surely the point of the draft in Birmingham - as has been pointed out - is to give players of all ability and irrespective of location an opportunity to attend.  No doubt some players from amateur clubs in the South have the skills to improve the 8 teams announced.  Holding a draft in for example Batley or Oldham would only reinforce the belief that RL players come from a certain area of the UK.

30 minutes ago, langpark said:

"irrespective of ability"??? Aren't draft players supposed to be the cream of the crop? 

In the NFL yes, but not necessarily in this comp, which as you have said yourself won’t be a high playing standard in the first season at least. 

38 minutes ago, langpark said:

"irrespective of ability"??? Aren't draft players supposed to be the cream of the crop? 

No!

Your understanding of a draft is probably influenced by the AFL draft system where the ‘cream of the crop’ is the youngsters that are the best across the country wanting to enter an ELITE competition.  Note the word ELITE.

The Euro XIII is not an ELITE competition so the draft may consist of players across all abilities that want to have a shot at getting a spot.  The aim of this draft as I understand it is to attract draftees that have better rugby skills than those across the 8 teams.

Why is it so difficult for you to see this?

No, I have followed all the podcasts regarding euro 13 and the organiser has said on multiple occasions that draft players will be brought in for their experience and with the purpose of raising the standard of the competition. So obviously, these need to be good players and not just Joe from the pub. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

No, I have followed all the podcasts regarding euro 13 and the organiser has said on multiple occasions that draft players will be brought in for their experience and with the purpose of raising the standard of the competition. So obviously, these need to be good players and not just Joe from the pub. 

Don’t be petty because no one has said ‘Joe from the pub’.

If a player from a top amateur club in England, Australia or New Zealand put themselves forward then that would be a great outcome.  But if there is an insufficient number of players at that level putting themselves forward then players with lesser skill, but better skills than the players from the 8 clubs would still improve the standard.

Just an added thought.  What does ‘experience’ actually mean?  Is a player who has played at the highest amateur level for many years a better option than someone who has played at a lesser level but is/willing to be a far better communicator who is able to better explain structures within a team? 

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

How is it pie in the sky if it’s happening?

Go back to 1829 and people like you would be telling Stevenson his idea was pie in the sky. 

A Europe wide competition for club teams in countries with no amateur RL players? Sounds really exciting to me. Can't wait.

4 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Skane Crusaders from Sweden confirmed 

Great news. Looks like they’re from the Malmo area. ?? 

Oh but how will they pay their draft players, they don’t already have a thriving league, they don’t have enough players, nobody has ever heard of Skane why can’t they be from Stockholm, how will they get to Turkey for a game, it will never work. 

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I a player from a top amateur club in England, Australia or New Zealand put themselves forward then that would be a great outcome.

Just an added thought.  What does ‘experience’ actually mean?  Is a player who has played at the highest amateur level for many years a better option than someone who has played at a lesser level but is/willing to be a far better communicator who is able to better explain structures within a team? 

Agreed! And to answer your question, both of the types of players you describe would be fantastic additions to any team. However, Atlanta and Birmingham make my gut feeling say that we will not be getting those types of players. Am hoping to be proven wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Great news. Looks like they’re from the Malmo area. ?? 

Oh but how will they pay their draft players, they don’t already have a thriving league, they don’t have enough players, nobody has ever heard of Skane why can’t they be from Stockholm, how will they get to Turkey for a game, it will never work. 

Keep up mate.

Skane Stags are keeping RL alive in Sweden and last summer went on tour to play in Poland. 

Most of the team would have represented Sweden v Nederlands as a curtain raiser to the HKR v Saints game but CV put payed to that. 

Maybe you have never heard of them in Norwich. Maybe you have never heard of any of the teams before they were announced. 

PS. 

Don't worry about them getting to Turkey Copenhagen Airport is just over the bridge ?

Avant Garde thinkers but particularly doers, are always despised by the lack-lustre, inert majority. 'twas ever thus.

It can't be done!

It'll never work!

They have no money!

They have no experience!

They won't tell us how they're doing it! They must have something to hide!

They're fools!

They are heading for a fall! Ha ha ha.

The one I like best is:-

We'd like them to succeed (Oh yeah) but we all know, its not going to happen.

Well thank you all for those few kind words.

History shows (as Ian Dury said) ''there ain't half been some clever ba…..rds'' and I'm grateful for every one of them.

There's no way, I'm going knock these people.

''I hope there's lots more to come''.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Avant Garde thinkers but particularly doers, are always despised by the lack-lustre, inert majority. 'twas ever thus.

It can't be done!

It'll never work!

They have no money!

They have no experience!

They won't tell us how they're doing it! They must have something to hide!

They're fools!

They are heading for a fall! Ha ha ha.

The one I like best is:-

We'd like them to succeed (Oh yeah) but we all know, its not going to happen.

Well thank you all for those few kind words.

History shows (as Ian Dury said) ''there ain't half been some clever ba…..rds'' and I'm grateful for every one of them.

There's no way, I'm going knock these people.

''I hope there's lots more to come''.

That's all fair enough but the main thing causing skepticism is the lack of transparency. If the teams entered in the competition don't really know how it will work then that's a bit of an issue. 

Most people want this to succeed, there is nothing wrong with people asking questions which should be easy to answer. Let's hope things become clearer over the next few weeks and months. 

Maybe they don't want you to know the detail, till they are happy to announce it. They are under no obligation to reveal their plans. You/we have no right to demand transparency. 

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

That's all fair enough but the main thing causing skepticism is the lack of transparency. If the teams entered in the competition don't really know how it will work then that's a bit of an issue. 

Most people want this to succeed, there is nothing wrong with people asking questions which should be easy to answer. Let's hope things become clearer over the next few weeks and months. 

If the teams were worried they wouldn’t have entered, surely. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

If the teams were worried they wouldn’t have entered, surely. 

Off course the teams are not worried.

Along comes a White Knight out of the blue, who no one has ever had any dealings with or really ever heard of, offering them money to cover all their travel and hotel accomodtion, plus draft players to improve thier club. 

These are clubs that some  cant even  afford to travel within their home countries to complete fixtures but are now having a carrot dangled in front of them to travel all over europe at NO cost.....wow that is some incentive to sign up do you not think ???

Plus he has a signed TV contract for a European wide amatuer rugby league competition with clubs coming from nations that have  no background to the game,dont know the game, and have no clubs such as Portugal and Austria .

All you have to do is sign this form then we can announce your club as an entry.

No questions need to be asked ,dont  worry I have it all covered .Its ground breaking .!!!!!!!

We have a great Facebook page .I am actually a very good media salesman,just check my Linkedin.I  know how to promote and push forward my ideas,thats my job and  I will also release some really great video introductions to the teams. Media promotion thats what I do. I am a businessman not a rugby league man really. But I have guys around me who know what they are doing.

Whats the TV deal...how can we help to promote the game in our home country,,which channels in Europe will be showing the game,which games ,will we really be on TV...Off course I have a deal signed  more details will be released later ..its all in hand .The Tv channels will love this.

But  pro teams like Toronto and Super league clubs like Catalan cant get a TV deal..how can an amatuer competition in its first year get such a deal.......just trust me on this.

Erm hang on ..what about the cost of this, what will I have to pay , how much do I have to pay for these draft guys will the TV deal involve my club having to pay for it like they do for BAR TV in Australia .....dont worry we can sort that out later.

Erm OK what about the standard of the draft players.....dont worry we have it sorted and they will improve the standards of your club.

How long will they be at the club and how long will we have to pay for their keep.What happens if we lose the first game....It will  all be explained later .

What criteria do we need to meet for were we play, ...any rugby field will do

What about the proposed "Fan membership" how will this work,....Its rugby league, show them the game and  they will flock to support the clubs .

Erm Ok what about insurance are we covered to play..off course dont worry .

Is it RLEF sanctioned....why ? we dont need their sanctioning for a club competition.

I am a bit worried about any hidden costs,when will we know how much its going to really cost us.....I have it all covered..trust me I have sponsors and TV and can afford to run this on my own.

Who are the fifty other teams that have applied......Thats not for you to worry about..I have teams queing up to join.

Im a bit worried about the likes of Serbia,Greece and Germany saying they dont want to be part of this......Yes thats their down fall..its a bit political.....they have plans to run their own competition under the RLEF...But I have seen their figures..its impossible ..wont work..they dont know what they are doing...

This is what I have picked up talking to guys and also through my personal contact.

Off course they dont have to be worried .

Everything has been explained before they sign on the dotted line !!!!!

I would be very worried if I had signed up without knowing the finer details.

But again good luck to the eight teams that have been confirmed.

Spent to much time on this ,its getting like Brexit ,everyone has their own opinion

See you in Rotterdam next year Eddie for a few beers watching a game ? 

14 minutes ago, langpark said:

Well said Yanto.

The Tom Hanks movie Terminal, where he is stranded in the airport for weeks on end comes to mind. Hopefully nothing like this happens to any of these unsuspecting teams that have joined. 

Personally I think Yanto is doing the teams who have entered a disservice and is suggesting that they are run by thick gullible people who haven’t considered any of those things - but time will tell. 

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Personally I think Yanto is doing the teams who have entered a disservice and is suggesting that they are run by thick gullible people who haven’t considered any of those things - but time will tell. 

I wouldn't say thick, but many do not have english as their first language, so they are disadvantaged right from the get go in some ways. Some are also a bit naive, not thick. 

35 minutes ago, langpark said:

Birmingham Jaguars facebook page was created a day ago. I expect they will be the next "team" announced.

Set up by the same person who has just formed Worcester Jaquars. If they want to play in Europe they will need to comply with the rfl protocols for playing abroad which will include having games sanctioned by the rlef.  

Archived