Euro XIIIs

35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Then literally, what is the problem with the RLEF not being involved?

Ok, don't involve RLEF.  Who do you suggest be the governing body of this competition, responsible for things like refereeing, disciplinary, appeals committees etc?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eddie said:

What development have they done in Europe though? Say in the last 5 years? That’s not a loaded question, I genuinely don’t know.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that any development (such as in Serbia) has been led by individuals rather than the RLEF. 

You are absolutely right.  Even in the UK, Australia, NZ, you will find that all the heavy lifting (especially at grassroots level) is done by passionate volunteers!  But of course, there always needs to be somebody to oversee and co-ordinate things.

As others have said, the RLEF's work is long-term focused, so very much aims to ensure organic growth and strong foundations are put in place for the long-term.  But since you ask specifically about the period of 2015-2020, for me some of the highlights would include:

- Obtaining the large EU grant which was invested mainly in Referee and Coaching courses across the continent.

- Introduction of the U19 Euro Championships, involving 8 nations.

- Development of Match Officials outside of UK and France and slowly assigning them to higher profile matches.

- The emergence of Turkey (in 2016).  As you say, hats off to those on the ground for this, but RLEF did assist with the training courses for coaches, referees, administrators etc. plus (as affiliate members) provide them with some funding.  Turkey have gone from zero, to one of the 6 most active RL nations on mainland Europe (along with France, Serbia, Ukraine, Greece, Czech) in less than 4 short years!

Those are some of the highlights.  I realise in other places, the game has also gone backwards, but that is inevitable unfortunately, in all sports.  But for a 2-3 staff organisation with limited funding, I think they are doing very well.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes, very impressive. Exactly what a sports administrators history should look like. 

But the chairman of the RLEF isnt working for them full time. Watkins is also senior Partner at Brabnams, Chairman of British Swimming, President of British sport and law, Director at LCCC, Chairman of Manchester university NHS trust. He isnt going to spend a substantial period of time conducting in depth due diligence in to this. And he certainly isnt going to do it on his own. 

When SL used to sell their TV rights, it was outsourced to IMG because its a difficult thing to do. 

The RFL have their own in house solicitor and still outsourced the due diligence of the franchise bidding to KPMG.

IF the RLEF were to conduct any due diligence worth doing they would need to outsource it to consultants and it would cost Hundreds of thousands if not millions. And whatever the risks of this, im sure they can find better uses for that money

Id also add the Watkins review which was conducted in to British RL found that the major problem facing the game was a lack of jeopardy leading to the disastrous 8s system. So even the best can swing and miss. 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes, very impressive. Exactly what a sports administrators history should look like. 

But the chairman of the RLEF isnt working for them full time. Watkins is also senior Partner at Brabnams, Chairman of British Swimming, President of British sport and law, Director at LCCC, Chairman of Manchester university NHS trust. He isnt going to spend a substantial period of time conducting in depth due diligence in to this. And he certainly isnt going to do it on his own. 

When SL used to sell their TV rights, it was outsourced to IMG because its a difficult thing to do. 

The RFL have their own in house solicitor and still outsourced the due diligence of the franchise bidding to KPMG.

IF the RLEF were to conduct any due diligence worth doing they would need to outsource it to consultants and it would cost Hundreds of thousands if not millions. And whatever the risks of this, im sure they can find better uses for that money

Id also add the Watkins review which was conducted in to British RL found that the major problem facing the game was a lack of jeopardy leading to the disastrous 8s system. So even the best can swing and miss. 

FFS you asked I answered 

Always get a clever response. 

So far I have put forward my views after 40 years in the game as a top division pro player, amateur coach in the heartlands, founder of a club in North Wales and setting up RL in Holland amongst other things. 

Over the length of this thread I have exposed all my rugby involvement. 

Now l don't know what you have done but I'm sure people would be interested. 

So let's stop the clever come backs (because no matter if someone answers your questions you change direction) ,and tell everyone what your involvement in rugby league is /has been. 

Getting bored with your games ???

Or like Euro XIII is it not for disclosure. 

20 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

On another subject will be going to Harlingen soon for a break fantastic place great bars and woh those Friesland girls:)

Can you understand them? 

Fries to Den Haag is like West Cumbrian to cockney ?

9 minutes ago, yanto said:

Can you understand them? 

Old people in Norfolk can understand Friesian and vice versa with Broad Norfolk apparently, and weirdly (though not a Broad Norfolk speaker) I found I could get the gist of stuff quite easily when I was there too. Top place, like everywhere I’ve been in Holland actually. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Old people in Norfolk can understand Friesian and vice versa with Broad Norfolk apparently, and weirdly (though not a Broad Norfolk speaker) I found I could get the gist of stuff quite easily when I was there too. Top place, like everywhere I’ve been in Holland actually. 

Bet thou niver sen a cuddy loup a fiv bar yat 

??

Eddie tho cudnt iven understand Cumbrian as ze marra ???

1 hour ago, yanto said:

Can you understand them? 

HA HA wonderful place though really peed off as have spent a year planning/ working on the worlds last functioning offshore radio ship which is moored in Harlingen harbour we were going to moor it off Whitstable this summer (June to September) as a publicity stunt for our sixties/classic rock station but Covid 19 has scuppered the plans so its next year now:) Hopefully:)

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

HA HA wonderful place though really peed off as have spent a year planning/ working on the worlds last functioning offshore radio ship which is moored in Harlingen harbour we were going to moor it off Whitstable this summer (June to September) as a publicity stunt for our sixties/classic rock station but Covid 19 has scuppered the plans so its next year now:) Hopefully:)

Google comes up with Radio Keezer.. Is that you guys?? 

Anyway plenty of experienced guys have put forward reasons to question why they feel this proposed Euro XIII competiton could damage the work that has seen the RLEF's progress in developing the game on the continent. 

I don't think anyone is against the proposals, they just need to ask how basically it is going to come to fruition. 

One or two people who seem to support this concept have yet to put forward creditable reasons why it will be a success and counter the arguments that its possible but is a massive undertaking. 

Scotchy1.. Eddie. 

You have heard the voices that are asking questions.. Now answer why you believe it's going to deliver what has been promised by Dean Buchan. 

You guys know as much as us.. So why do you think this can work. 

Simple enough question.. as you seem to have all the answers when people question the credibility of the plan yet I have yet to hear why you think it can be successful? 

8 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Yeah, but what does he KNOW about Rugby League? ?

Was at one stage actually the interim Chairman of the RFL. So obviously knows nothing at all about the game along with all his predecessors and subsequent incumbents.....

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

Was at one stage actually the interim Chairman of the RFL. So obviously knows nothing at all about the game along with all his predecessors and subsequent incumbents.....

I am pretty sure he is being sarcastic! I know it can be hard to tell at times, given there are so many people in here who would genuinely make these sorts of comments. 

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Let me explain this slowly for both of you because you are obviously struggling with some pretty simple ideas.

If they arent under the RLEF auspices, and the RLEF wont provide referees and disciplinary services.

Then the referees and disciplinary need to be credentialed by no one but themselves.

You know why? Because they are operating outside RLEF jurisdiction. 

They aren't though are they? 3 of the clubs they've announced, Rotterdam, Rhondda and Mad Squirrels are member clubs of RLEF member leagues. They can't therefore be totally outside RLEF jurisdiction.

Regardless, where are these non RLEF european based Referees going to come from? SL doesn't train its own refs, the Premier League doesn't, I'd be amazed if a cup competition could get decent refs overnight. Obviously you and I know they won't and they will get people who are at least in some way connected to the RLEF because training refs is an unnecessary expense.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Then the referees and disciplinary need to be credentialed by no one but themselves.

Is there a white knight school of refereeing that none of us know about? Handing out referee qualifications?

Next time the police stop me for a routine check I will use your line "I need to be credentialed by no one but myself".

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But this competition isnt under the RLEF and the RLEF have already said that it wont affect their position in RLEF competitions.

The premeir league outsource their match officials to a third party called PGMOL but if they arent competiting in the premier league they dont have to use them

As they arent competing in an RLEF their referees dont have to be trained at all, its obviously better for the standard if they are at a certain level, but they dont have to be. It could be anyone they deemed good enough

Ah great so this comp will be reffed by untrained refs now? Or one coach does first half the other does second?

You're arguing for the sake of arguing. 

As everyone has pointed out for a europe wide amateur club comp to succeed they need the league, the member leagues and the RLEF to be working together. 

Archived