Euro XIIIs

10 hours ago, yanto said:

Anyway plenty of experienced guys have put forward reasons to question why they feel this proposed Euro XIII competiton could damage the work that has seen the RLEF's progress in developing the game on the continent. 

I don't think anyone is against the proposals, they just need to ask how basically it is going to come to fruition. 

One or two people who seem to support this concept have yet to put forward creditable reasons why it will be a success and counter the arguments that its possible but is a massive undertaking. 

Scotchy1.. Eddie. 

You have heard the voices that are asking questions.. Now answer why you believe it's going to deliver what has been promised by Dean Buchan. 

You guys know as much as us.. So why do you think this can work. 

Simple enough question.. as you seem to have all the answers when people question the credibility of the plan yet I have yet to hear why you think it can be successful? 

My answer Yanto is that if the collective will is there, it will happen.

I don't know what Dean Buchan has promised them, it might be nothing.

He might have just sent them invitations on the understanding that they self-fund the thing.

He might have had a load of referees volunteer to do it also, on the same basis.

Why? Just to be in it. For the craic.

Who'd have thought the Balkan Super League would have ever got going?

I went to Las Vegas to get married.

Craziest thing I've ever done and it cost me an arm and a leg but I didn't ask my Mam and Dad's permission to do it. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Well we will see wont we. And if they do get off the ground you can come and eat crow. 

If not you can bask in the glory of your foresight 

Why are you making this into some kind of dichotomy that doesn't exist? I want RL to succeed where ever it is, I wouldn't bask in "i told you so" foresight I'd be sad that positive energy could have been wasted.

Part of that is recognising where somethings don't seem to be adding up and listening to people involved in Europe (yanto in Netherlands, the Serbians in the media). Healthy skepticism of even one's own ideas is an essential part of success.

I admire Buchan's ambition. First wanting Valencia to play in SL, then bringing Fev over, then creating this competition for them to play in. I worry that it is over ambitious and brings together too many different elements with the included teams. In Buchans own words 16 to 20 teams seemed too much. Thats before we get the bypassing of the regional and national governing bodies to do this.

Buchan clearly has some money, but its not in the same league as Argyle at Toronto for example. So can he afford to bypass the NGB and RGB? I'm yet to see enough to suggest the financials will match his ambition - hence why this comp keeps changing from an elite 8 team league to a cup to an amateur 16 Cup then a league, to a professional to amateur, to draft Queensland cup players to drafts in the RL hotbeds of Birmingham and Atlanta. 

14 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I play and coach for the 10th team, I’ll try and answer any questions to best of my knowledge based on what I’ve been told myself. No secrets just facts.

Birmingham (Worcester) Jaguars

Do you know where you'll be playing at if you get a home game?

34 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I play and coach for the 10th team, I’ll try and answer any questions to best of my knowledge based on what I’ve been told myself. No secrets just facts.

What was the selection criteria you had to meet in order to join this competition?

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

What was the selection criteria you had to meet in order to join this competition?

I don’t know the full answer (our club President deals with that stuff) to that one mate in full though I do know being near to an international airport was a relatively big requirement due to the travel. 

We run a Cat 3 junior academy - the people behind the Euro XIII would like us to use our work there to replicate similar work and share knowledge in any country we visit as part of the tournament/expanded league structure in future years. 

39 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I don’t know the full answer (our club President deals with that stuff) to that one mate in full though I do know being near to an international airport was a relatively big requirement due to the travel. 

We run a Cat 3 junior academy - the people behind the Euro XIII would like us to use our work there to replicate similar work and share knowledge in any country we visit as part of the tournament/expanded league structure in future years. 

Thanks. Will Worcester continue to exist?

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

Is it compulsory for clubs to take on draft players and how long will the club have to pay for their accommodation and food. 

Is it for the duration of the tournament or just until the club gets beat. For some clubs just one game? 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Buchan clearly has some money, but its not in the same league as Argyle at Toronto for example. 

That would be something of an understatement, based on his LinkedIn profile, to say the least.

Birmingham Jaguars where they created to take part in this competition as i cant find anything on internet about them and their facebook page was only created on the 17th June 2020.  Does this mean the Worcester Jaguars are no more as it seems as though the same guy is in charge and will it be the Worcester players playing for Birmingham.

3 hours ago, yanto said:

Is it compulsory for clubs to take on draft players and how long will the club have to pay for their accommodation and food. 

Is it for the duration of the tournament or just until the club gets beat. For some clubs just one game? 

I’ve been told we will get 1/2 but don’t have to accept. 

1 hour ago, stevevalerugby said:

Birmingham Jaguars where they created to take part in this competition as i cant find anything on internet about them and their facebook page was only created on the 17th June 2020.  Does this mean the Worcester Jaguars are no more as it seems as though the same guy is in charge and will it be the Worcester players playing for Birmingham.

Worcester Jaguars are alive and kicking. 25 training this morning (in groups).

Will play as Birmingham for this tournament and for future ‘sister’ team ventures.

4 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Do you know where you'll be playing at if you get a home game?

Our President posted the announcement on the Facebook page of our host union club.

Simply a barriered pitch with a scoreboard. 

Our juniors have trained at Sixways stadium many times before - so always an option there if it warrants a big stage.

7 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

Why dont you just play as Worcester Jaguars for the tournament ?

I mentioned earlier, we always planned on setting up a Birmingham based club for juniors and adults to feed into the main Jaguars side who hope to play at a higher level.

Why Birmingham for this tournament - link to a big city, big draw, big name maybe? There’s also a paperwork looophole as the Euro XIII have their own kit supplier for all 16 teams with their sponsors on it. 

3 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I mentioned earlier, we always planned on setting up a Birmingham based club for juniors and adults to feed into the main Jaguars side who hope to play at a higher level.

Why Birmingham for this tournament - link to a big city, big draw, big name maybe? There’s also a paperwork looophole as the Euro XIII have their own kit supplier for all 16 teams with their sponsors on it. 

i kind of get it but im sure Rhondda Outlaws would have the same problem ref sponsors but they havent changed their name.  I just hope the Worcester people will travel to Birmingham to Watch.  But i hope you do well and succeed as more Rugby League being played away from the M62 corridor is needed.

22 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

i kind of get it but im sure Rhondda Outlaws would have the same problem ref sponsors but they havent changed their name.  I just hope the Worcester people will travel to Birmingham to Watch.  But i hope you do well and succeed as more Rugby League being played away from the M62 corridor is needed.

To sort of correct you.

We (Worcester Jaguars) train and play out of Droitwich. 10-15 mins north of Worcester, 30 mins south of Birmingham. 

Somewhat between the two as it is.

thanks for the support though mate 

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

I’ve been told we will get 1/2 but don’t have to accept. 

Conflicts with what I have been told by another accepted club. 

They tell me draft players are compulsory. Every club has to take a minimum of two. 

This has yet to be confirmed.? 

So am right in thinking clubs have entered without knowing what the actual costs will be? 

42 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

There’s also a paperwork looophole as the Euro XIII have their own kit supplier for all 16 teams with their sponsors on it. 

So my club have signed a three year deal with a kit supplier and a main sponsor but Euro XIII will tell me who I have to buy my kit from and what sponsor I have to wear. 

That will surely have a massive affect on trust with my supplier and local sponsors in the future and also with the income needed to run the club. 

Hmmm!! 

13 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

To sort of correct you.

We (Worcester Jaguars) train and play out of Droitwich. 10-15 mins north of Worcester, 30 mins south of Birmingham. 

Somewhat between the two as it is.

thanks for the support though mate 

Thanks like i said hope you do really well and i know one of your players Sam Buckthought as he played Junior RL with my son who now plays for Halifax RLFC

10 minutes ago, yanto said:

Conflicts with what I have been told by another accepted club. 

They tell me draft players are compulsory. Every club has to take a minimum of two. 

This has yet to be confirmed.? 

So am right in thinking clubs have entered without knowing what the actual costs will be? 

I’ve just been told it is compulsory, my bad with original point.

It’s a sliding scale based on ranking. Higher the rank the less draft players.

Archived