Euro XIIIs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

So they should leave government funding not through the RLEF on the table?

It would be interesting which NRB's to date have actually been recognised by their governments for funding. 

In my experience most nations only recognise a sport that is a member of Sport Accord through their Olympic Committee. 

RLEF and IRL are trying to be accepted into this organisation. 

World Rugby League appearing on the scene didn't help the application and do you think Euro XIII will be an asset or another stumbling block. 

If Sport Accord look at the governing body of European rugby being undermined by a Rebel... And yes I believe this is now a rebel breakaway group... Then this is going to set us back ten years. 

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Little tidbit of info from training tonight.

Euro XIII clubs must utilise grounds with seating/a suitable stand. 

The draw will also be seeded.

At least we are now getting some info on minimum standards. 

Thanks for this. 

But seeded draw?? 

How does anyone know the strength of each club?? 

Regarding seating and a suitable stand. 

I wonder how many of the clubs have access to such facilities? 

I know Rotterdam have a great set up at Sparta Rugby but they would not meet this criteria. 

Guess it's another expense to have to hire a venue or hope for an away tie every round of the competition. 

Do you know if Euro XIII will cover venue costs??? 

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Some interesting stuff in there. Perhaps anyone more knowledgeable could enlighten people as to the names mentioned?

Its clearly positive in aspirations. I still have some reservations thats its trying to be all things to all men and worry that this has taken the RLEF and governing bodies by surprise.

I appreciate how clubs like Brussels will be happier having a competition to play in regularly, though this won't come to full fruition till 2022. I'm still wary of how that ambition fits in with brand new clubs (Birmingham, Budapest), established clubs (Rhondda, Vrchlabi, Rotterdam, Skane), re-ignited clubs (Brussels, Copenhagen), and new "sit on top teams"/select XIIIs (Anadolu, Dublin). I'm not even sure where Valencia fits in those categories tbh. Like I say there's a risk this is trying to be all things to all men rather than nailing down what it actually is.

Awaiting part 2 of that interview with trepidation.

Reading between the lines not to be too negative but Dean Buchan thought the RFL would open Valencia up with open arms as an "expansion hot-spot" he soon realised this wasn't to be the case and this is how this idea came about. 

Realistically if Valencia were accepted into League 1 in 2021 he wouldn't have cared less about the other players and nations across Europe. 

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

So which funding should they take, and which should they leave on the table to avoid upsetting the RLEF?

"Government funding" could just be a spruced up way of saying "municipal facilities to play in". Thats fine and to be wholly expected - its what I think it is atm.

To get "actual" government funding, however, in terms of cash, then you'd need to go through official channels. Sport England doesn't just give out money on a whim. That govermment support requires claiming an official legitimacy EuroXIIIs doesn't have at the moment - especially as its on a pan-European level. Falsely presenting themselves as fully legitimatised would make it a usurpation/impersonation of the RLEF and indeed other NGBs.

I don't think they have done that as like I said I think its a way of making "using municipal facilities" sound better. The other way could be Buchan using some funding the Spanish RL gets to put towards this.

3 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Reading between the lines not to be too negative but Dean Buchan thought the RFL would open Valencia up with open arms as an "expansion hot-spot" he soon realised this wasn't to be the case and this is how this idea came about. 

Realistically if Valencia were accepted into League 1 in 2021 he wouldn't have cared less about the other players and nations across Europe. 

I think there is an element of that. The cynic in me thinks this is all about how he wants a league for his Valencia Hurricanes to play in thats a bit more prestigious than the Spanish comp.

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

So they are ok to use municipal facilities but if say the Valencian/Spanish government or tourist board etc offer them money they should say no?

Governments don't just offer money to anyone?

12th team is Chisinau Scorpions, so the first rugby league team in Moldova. This could present a problem if they are drawn away to either of the British clubs as people from Moldova require a visa to come to the UK

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is money on offer.

Should they refuse to ask for it then?

Like I said none of us know there is money on offer.

And if it means impersonating/usurping the RLEF then no they shouldn't?

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there is an element of that. The cynic in me thinks this is all about how he wants a league for his Valencia Hurricanes to play in thats a bit more prestigious than the Spanish comp.

If that is the case, and some good comes of it, then what does it matter what the initial reason for it is? I imagine the football league started because Preston or someone wanted a decent comp to play in as well as the FA cup. 

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm sorry Tommy but that is just silly.

So what you seriously think that governments are just handing out money to sports that in Buchan's own words, "don't register on the map" without them applying? Thats before you get onto how government funding requires very specific criteria and rules.

Like I said I think this is code for municipal backing in terms of facilities tarted up to sound even better. Thats fine, I'd say the same.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

If that is the case, and some good comes of it, then what does it matter what the initial reason for it is? I imagine the football league started because Preston or someone wanted a decent comp to play in as well as the FA cup. 

Oh nothing its just an observation. 

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If I was organising a comp I would be getting teams established teams to play in, not ones who have never played a game and haven't played for several seasons. I feel sorry for clubs who they are putting up money to enter and to host draft players as I can see if this ever gets that far a number of games not being played in the 1st round. 

2 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

If I was organising a comp I would be getting teams established teams to play in, not ones who have never played a game and haven't played for several seasons. I feel sorry for clubs who they are putting up money to enter and to host draft players as I can see if this ever gets that far a number of games not being played in the 1st round. 

Why wouldn’t the first round games be played? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why wouldn’t the first round games be played? 

Because of the lack of established teams who have been accepted, it is ok well meaning club administrators saying yes we will enter, have they consulted their players if they in fact have any players. If there were 50 applicants (including a pro club) and these are the best 12 best so far I would like to see the ones who are not accepted. 

37 minutes ago, flyingking said:

12th team is Chisinau Scorpions, so the first rugby league team in Moldova. This could present a problem if they are drawn away to either of the British clubs as people from Moldova require a visa to come to the UK

I won't lie, it is nice to see Rugby League back in Moldova.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Because of the lack of established teams who have been accepted, it is ok well meaning club administrators saying yes we will enter, have they consulted their players if they in fact have any players. If there were 50 applicants (including a pro club) and these are the best 12 best so far I would like to see the ones who are not accepted. 

Are you so anti this competition, not to mention patronising, that you don’t think the club administrators have considered whether or not they’ll be able to play their game(s)?

Archived