Euro XIIIs

52 minutes ago, flyingking said:

12th team is Chisinau Scorpions, so the first rugby league team in Moldova. This could present a problem if they are drawn away to either of the British clubs as people from Moldova require a visa to come to the UK

There was a team from Tiraspol which competed in the Russian league in the 1990s and in fact were Soviet champions one year, although they were from Transnistria, a part of Moldova which declared independence in the late 90s, albeit not recognised by most other countries. Neil Tunnicliffe & Tom O'Donovan had a trip there in the 1990s and wrote a chapter about it in Dave Hadfield's XIII Worlds book.

Moldova played in the 1995 Emerging Nations World Cup - beat Morocco (at Northampton) and lost to Ireland.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I am not anti this competition, I am being realist. How I am being patronising?

By doubting that administrators have had the wit to consider whether or not they’ll be able to play the game(s) in a competition that they’ve entered. 

This potentially sounds like an exciting prospect always remember when the Challenge Cup started to open up to Russian sides along with the French teams 

At the peak of uts growth in the early 2'000s i know Dutch sides where linked always thought a European division could of been added to the once successful Summer Conference.

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

By doubting that administrators have had the wit to consider whether or not they’ll be able to play the game(s) in a competition that they’ve entered. 

Some of the ones I have come across are excellent but others not so good.  Anyway time will tell on all of this and I will reiterate I would like to see this as a success. 

Did I read at the time of the game against Fev Rovers that Valencia did not have enough players so borrowed some from Salford?

1 hour ago, flyingking said:

12th team is Chisinau Scorpions, so the first rugby league team in Moldova. This could present a problem if they are drawn away to either of the British clubs as people from Moldova require a visa to come to the UK

Maybe they won't be drawn away.

Someone on here made a reference to seeding ( in a Cup? ) My previous reference to Tom Keaveny's car boot springs to mind , as well as the competition invite asking if clubs had preference for home / away games..

When Moldova / Russia came to play in England almost 30 years ago the majority of their players were penniless and brought loads of Russian Dolls to sell to make some hard currency. . Bought 3 of them myself for my then young daughters...….

27 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Some of the ones I have come across are excellent but others not so good.  Anyway time will tell on all of this and I will reiterate I would like to see this as a success. 

Did I read at the time of the game against Fev Rovers that Valencia did not have enough players so borrowed some from Salford?

Valencia 'dual registered ' a number of  Salford academy players to make up their side. They lost to Featherstone by over100 points  this January in their first ever match

Since then according to Euro X111 releases they have been scouting Spain and expect to have 500 + players rugby league ready for the game …..……...

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I dont think any of those straw men.

I'm just highlighting your idea that taking government funding would be usurping the RLEF position and so it shouldn't be taken.

Please point me to any other example of a sporting league being given "government funding" without being officially recognised.

Birmingham Jaguars won't be getting sport England funding will they? 

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

If I was organising a comp I would be getting teams established teams to play in, not ones who have never played a game and haven't played for several seasons. I feel sorry for clubs who they are putting up money to enter and to host draft players as I can see if this ever gets that far a number of games not being played in the 1st round. 

I think harks back to the lack of clear direction and aims with this competition. All things to all men etc.

3 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

The match ended up being 12 vs 11. Not an auspicious start for Valencia and their only game to date. Prior to that I had assumed they were an established side who had ambitions outside of the Spanish domestic league but they have never played a domestic match. 

This is a development league so I hope they will be bringing in mostly local Spanish players rather than paying players to come from England or France 

It might succeed and grow or only run for a season or two. If it raised awareness in some of the town's and cities or encouraged 1 or 2 more domestic clubs to set up in some of the countries then it will have had a positive effect on the game

5 hours ago, JonM said:

There was a team from Tiraspol which competed in the Russian league in the 1990s and in fact were Soviet champions one year, although they were from Transnistria, a part of Moldova which declared independence in the late 90s, albeit not recognised by most other countries. Neil Tunnicliffe & Tom O'Donovan had a trip there in the 1990s and wrote a chapter about it in Dave Hadfield's XIII Worlds book.

Moldova played in the 1995 Emerging Nations World Cup - beat Morocco (at Northampton) and lost to Ireland.

Transnistria is a blast ? go there with 100 $ and you can live like a king for a week:)

We should 100% be looking at Belarus for future development, Minsk is a fab place great bars restaurants and the people are wonderful my wife has a couple of radio stations based there so we get to go quite a bit would love to see it develop into a true RL country.

Latest RLEF   release to members  ( 23/6 2020 ) makes interesting reading.

Met with a total brick wall from Euro X111 organisers  regarding what they believe to be important info about it all. RLEF cannot recommend involvement at this stage.

Google RLEF and Euro X111 to read it unless someone on here can put in a link.

Yanto may be right. It looks like  yet another  breakaway ( just what the game needs  - do we ever learn ? )

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Transnistria is a blast ? go there with 100 $ and you can live like a king for a week:)

We should 100% be looking at Belarus for future development

That's two of the three countries in Europe that I've never been to (if Transnistria counts as a proper country). I've been to the Belarus border, but you had to bribe the border guards at the time to let you in - and I wasn't sure how much they'd want to let me out again afterwards ?

There was a 9's tournament in Belarus last year, with teams of Belarus, Ukraine & Russia IIRC.

17 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

We should 100% be looking at Belarus for future development, Minsk is a fab place great bars restaurants and the people are wonderful my wife has a couple of radio stations based there so we get to go quite a bit would love to see it develop into a true RL country.

Went to Minsk in 2003, so it may have changed since then but I can remember there were almost as many police as normal people. 

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Went to Minsk in 2003, so it may have changed since then but I can remember there were almost as many police as normal people. 

I have been 5/6 times in the last year hardly see any police now however the election is soon and looks like its curtains for the lunatic president:)

44 minutes ago, JonM said:

That's two of the three countries in Europe that I've never been to (if Transnistria counts as a proper country). I've been to the Belarus border, but you had to bribe the border guards at the time to let you in - and I wasn't sure how much they'd want to let me out again afterwards ?

There was a 9's tournament in Belarus last year, with teams of Belarus, Ukraine & Russia IIRC.

You don't need a visa now on a direct flight, Minsk is the home of many software companies and has its own hipster culture going to be an interesting few weeks as the presidents popularity is around 3% and if he rigs the election which is likely it will explode.

Most young people want to be in the EU.

Paul

18 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You don't need a visa now on a direct flight, Minsk is the home of many software companies and has its own hipster culture going to be an interesting few weeks as the presidents popularity is around 3% and if he rigs the election which is likely it will explode.

Most young people want to be in the EU.

Paul

Have you been to Brest and if so what did you think of the place?

31 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Have you been to Brest and if so what did you think of the place?

Had a stop off there in-between Warsaw and Minsk, was a fair few years ago but well worth a night or two I’d say.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Had a stop off there in-between Warsaw and Minsk, was a fair few years ago but well worth a night or two I’d say.

Cheers, pre-Covid I was flying to Warsaw for a few days next month and had a mini-side trip there in mind via train on the local "free" tourist Visa scheme.

7 hours ago, CrushersForever said:

The Dublin Blues gear for sale has started with a couple of retro shirts... one good and one not so good...

https://www.xilesport.com/collections/dublin-blues

The quality range of Xile is great if you are prepared to wait although I appreciate they are shipping from ROI and have alot of teams under their banner too. 

Love the video..

Lots of " oppertunites of the devolping the game in the country as well as providing  coaching oppertunities  and referee oppertunities"  

Great comments .

But excuse me where has Moldova been when the RLEF has been providing these same oppertunities over the last 20 years due to Erasmus  grants funded by the EU and secured by the RLEF ?

So now the Euro XIII are promising ,by the guys talk in the video,to also provide funding to develop coaches and referees.

AMAZING ?

3 hours ago, yanto said:

Love the video..

Lots of " oppertunites of the devolping the game in the country as well as providing  coaching oppertunities  and referee oppertunities"  

Great comments .

But excuse me where has Moldova been when the RLEF has been providing these same oppertunities over the last 20 years due to Erasmus  grants funded by the EU and secured by the RLEF ?

So now the Euro XIII are promising ,by the guys talk in the video,to also provide funding to develop coaches and referees.

AMAZING ?

Most likely the RLEF had criteria for taking advantage of those opportunities and grants and maybe the Moldovans didn't qualify.

Then along comes this Euro XIII outfit willing to take the first 8, 16 or whatever the number is who'll say yes to them and worry about the details later.

That doesn't sound like a recipe for success does it?

Archived