Euro XIIIs

1 hour ago, Rhondda Outlaws said:

Bora da / Good morning,

The application process was quite lengthy but pretty easy overall.  There was an initial 'expression of interest' form that just required we provide some basic details of our club.  Then followed a whole series of calls with the organisers to discuss the competition before we submitted the formal application.  After we submitted the formal application we completed the non-disclosure agreement and then had loads more calls with the organisers where they were able to discuss some of the more sensitive and commercially sensitive stuff.  We had to go through the organisers due-diligence process too.  When all that was finished, all that was left was the horrible wait to hear if we had been selected.

With the sponsors, we have always posted on social media asking if any businesses want to sponsor us but we've never had any responses for that.  So the way we've always had to get sponsorship money was to go out and pound the pavements to find sponsors. This obviously limits the scope as we tend to target local businesses or businesses that our committee members work in.  There isn't any major industry in the Rhondda these days so we tend to ask small limited companies or sole traders. The sponsors who have come onboard with us over the years have been amazing and very loyal which means we are usually confident we'll bring in enough sponsorship each season to cover kit, equipment and expenses. 

The big change we have seen since being announced as part of the Euro XIII competition is businesses approaching us directly (which will save my shoe leather) and they aren't all based in the Rhondda.

Got to say you're a breath of fresh air on here mate

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, del capo said:

Even if it is bankrolled Eddie it will still  cost  perhaps 10k a game.  The  likely finances ( without input from any organisers ) were looked at pages ago. Most sponsors expect some form of return....

Not sure what you believe is a small fortune but I would love  let's say 200k put into my pension pot.....

£10k? I doubt it, not for Malmo v Copenhagen, Brussels v Rotterdam and maybe some other fixtures, you wouldn’t even need a hotel. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

£10k? I doubt it, not for Malmo v Copenhagen, Brussels v Rotterdam and maybe some other fixtures, you wouldn’t even need a hotel. 

Fix the ' draw ' then , just as in the good old BARLA days.

Throw  in  ' you can choose whether to play home or away ' and it gets even better.

Eddie let me assure you that anyone who has EVER took a club side abroad for a game has had to find  up to 10k outlay, with the host club picking up a near similar tab on transport hotel and hospitality etc. If you have managed to get it below that please share your info to help us all out...……..

31 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I still think its highly unlikely that any governments will provide funding for an unsanctioned breakaway competition. It's safe to say the UK government won't be backing this one.

Personally I think that any funding would be better used to strengthen local competitions in those countries. I'd imagine that's also what most government funding would also be looking at ie. increased participation, community projects etc. The whole idea that government funding has been secured just doesn't ring true. 

Agreed.

19 minutes ago, del capo said:

Fix the ' draw ' then , just as in the good old BARLA days.

Throw  in  ' you can choose whether to play home or away ' and it gets even better.

Eddie let me assure you that anyone who has EVER took a club side abroad for a game has had to find  up to 10k outlay, with the host club picking up a near similar tab on transport hotel and hospitality etc. If you have managed to get it below that please share your info to help us all out...……..

Abroad from the UK possibly, but what I’m saying is not all the games will require flights or even hotels.
Even if it is £10k, then obviously there is someone or people prepared to invest it. I don’t know why you’re so desperate to question that. Just because you wouldn’t want to doesn’t mean others don’t, the world of sport is littered with people prepared to pay to make things happen, there would be no professional sport without them. 

1 hour ago, del capo said:

The RFL sit down  every year about this time to work out the  ' Calendar ' which ties in every competition , tour etc from SL to Tier 5  into  a format for the following year to produce , hopefully , a clean flow throughout the game.

Within that I am confident that if it is the Euro X111 organisers desire they could be  encapsulated within it.

Definitely might convince Toulouse to enter if they are guaranteed a "home tie" at Valencia 

1 minute ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Definitely might convince Toulouse to enter if they are guaranteed a "home tie" at Valencia 

Currently the Euros competition is unsanctioned. The challenge Cup is an RFL tournament. The chance of any link up between the two competitions is close to zero I would say! 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Abroad from the UK possibly, but what I’m saying is not all the games will require flights or even hotels.
Even if it is £10k, then obviously there is someone or people prepared to invest it. I don’t know why you’re so desperate to question that. Just because you wouldn’t want to doesn’t mean others don’t, the world of sport is littered with people prepared to pay to make things happen, there would be no professional sport without them. 

Calm down Eddie

We are not talking about pro sport here but about a fun journey that would struggle to make Tier 5 in the UK.

I am totally ambivalent about the  paid for overall costings of this effort  ( that's up to them )  but yes to send a team from the UK would cost about 10k . Glad to see that the organisers are picking that  tab up in full.

The ' draw ' will clearly be fixed to keep costs under control .

Desperate ? Not on this issue.  We hide our faces on this forum to engage in lively talk but far greater RL concerns for me  as we  try to help during lockdown and the aftermath.....

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

I still think its highly unlikely that any governments will provide funding for an unsanctioned breakaway competition. It's safe to say the UK government won't be backing this one.

Personally I think that any funding would be better used to strengthen local competitions in those countries. I'd imagine that's also what most government funding would also be looking at ie. increased participation, community projects etc. The whole idea that government funding has been secured just doesn't ring true. 

Just as an addition to this. It is almost certainly this stumbling block over funding that is leading the RLEF to hesitation. 

If the EuroXIIIs has been sold unwittingly to investors and Governments as an official, European backed competition then the RLEF will rightly see that as a infringement on them - especially as they are working on achieving something similar at a professional level. Presumably the RLEF could then be approaching Governments who'd turn round and say "hang on we gave you guys funding for that already?" There's a bit too much gung ho chancing surrounding this endeavour at the organisational level for me still.

If they said its just a way of getting lower level European clubs to collaborate and we've organised a central kit deal etc to reduce costs there's nothing really to raise eyebrows about. As soon as government funding etc gets involved however it becomes a bit murky - especially when the organisers are leading two NGBs that are supposed to work for the whole game in those countries.

I still think its likely "government funding" actually means use of pitches or a tourism board endorsement deal however.

If you look at the map it does look like they are geographically located in pairs, or 4s. If the next team out the hat is in Portugal and the 15th is somewhere perhaps nearish northern Italy then I think I would be able to guess the draw - just the Turkish team with a bit of a long haul in that case to Moldova.

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

If you look at the map it does look like they are geographically located in pairs, or 4s. If the next team out the hat is in Portugal and the 15th is somewhere perhaps nearish northern Italy then I think I would be able to guess the draw - just the Turkish team with a bit of a long haul in that case to Moldova.

Austria is expected to have a team, which ticks the Northern Italy box 

In terms of costs, honestly the biggest variable in costs will be how much of the originally discussed TV deal comes to light, and what obligations the tournament has to sponsors and governments and if there will be any marketing. 

Arguably if the draw is 'fixed' and 'local' opponents are picked, at least for the first round, this will reduce travel costs, however you'd argue there would still need to be accomodation costs (arguably the night before and night of) to give teams a legitimate chance of competing, and not forcing them to travel and play the same day, so I don't see them getting away with much change from the earlier estimate of 10K per game, especially as it gets to the later rounds and teams are forced to get on a plane (and you throw all the over 'essential costs for running a game')

But yeah the variables above is where the costs can blow out... Broadcast costs arguably range from around 1K-2K for something like a decent FB Live Steam, to closer to 25K for anything a TV network will show, whilst hospitality & catering costs for sponsors, etc, can quickly rack up, especially as some clubs play at venues which don't have corporate facilities (so suddenly you have marquee costs, etc).  Marketing, well again, this could range from nothing to thousands, depending what is and isn't done.

Anyway, I guess we will see how this unfolds as the tournament approaches, unless these are items either Rhondda or Anadolu are able to elaborate on (although I expect the respective NDA's they have signed, if this has been shared, is protected under those).

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

20 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Paid TV deal for very low-level amateur RL?  Unnamed funders at an unspecified amount of money?  It's just laughable unless I'm completely missing something here?

I bet you couldn’t believe anyone was going to fund TWP either, but they did. 

I hope this venture succeeds and expands and applaud anyone who puts time, effort and money into helping RL grow. 

I'm just wondering where a successful EuroXIIIs will fit in to existing structures. Obviously it is starting as a development competition but if it becomes a more permanent structured competition what level will it be?

Will it sit above the existing domestic leagues of the participants with qualification like the Champion's League in football and will there be a more tiered structure with regional leagues inbetween domestic leagues and EuroXIII such as the Balkan's Super League?

At what level would qualification be open to clubs in England and France who already have a stronger set up? Would it be no higher than Southern Conference level and the regional leagues below Elite 2 in France?

Will it be tiered in a different way with a top division, second division etc with p and r between them?

Instead of qualifying for EuroXIII will it just be application based like this year with any club able to apply regardless of their place in their own domestic set up?

If it is application based will these be from regional clubs drawing players from their domestic clubs a bit like a rep team or existing/new clubs who fancy a different challenge?

If it is existing or new clubs will they still be expected to enter a team in their own domestic competition? 

Will there be a requirement for clubs to focus on junior development and also have their own junior pathways?

Lots of questions but i'm looking forward to seeing how it develops

Have I missed much ?

Back in Norway for work 13 hours a day for 12 day's so not much time for idle gossip. 

But anyway some background checks came up with this..... Not saying anything else ???

Off all the cities in Europe how much of a coincidence is it that the guy behind the Moldova team lives in Valencia. ?

Check out his Twitter 

Eugeniu Procopi

5 minutes ago, yanto said:

Have I missed much ?

Back in Norway for work 13 hours a day for 12 day's so not much time for idle gossip. 

But anyway some background checks came up with this..... Not saying anything else ???

Off all the cities in Europe how much of a coincidence is it that the guy behind the Moldova team lives in Valencia. ?

Check out his Twitter 

Eugeniu Procopi

It’s obviously not a coincidence and so what if the person behind the Moldovan team knows the people organising the tournament? Do you think that in sport, business and life in general things don’t happen because people know people?

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I bet you couldn’t believe anyone was going to fund TWP either, but they did. 

Well i could believe it as i knew his name and how rich he was and i knew the guy who was running it from his years with Canadian RL and id seen the 5k+ crowds he'd already pulled for internationals in Toronto and the years he'd spent networking and getting the RFL on board.  And an elite team playing in elite comp makes sense.  How you can compare the 2 is beyond me. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Well i could believe it as i knew his name and how rich he was and i knew the guy who was running it from his years with Canadian RL and id seen the 5k+ crowds he'd already pulled for internationals in Toronto and the years he'd spent networking and getting the RFL on board.  And an elite team playing in elite comp makes sense.  How you can compare the 2 is beyond me. 

The comparison is that they are both new ideas (not great for some RL people I know) and they’re being funded by private individuals (again incomprehensible it seems). If this was happening in football or cricket, or any other sport, nobody would raise an eyebrow. 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The comparison is that they are both new ideas (not great for some RL people I know) and they’re being funded by private individuals (again incomprehensible it seems). If this was happening in football or cricket, or any other sport, nobody would raise an eyebrow. 

Yes they would!! It's bonkers.

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes they absolutely would. Other sports are not keen on breakaway competitions as it divides and weakens the sport. 

Toronto and this are completely different things. Toronto has to jump though may hoops and were scrutinised with deep due dilligence before they were accepted. Ultimately Toronto were able to demonstrate to the powers that be that they were able to cover the costs of entering the competition and that they would not damage that competition. There was, and still is, huge amounts of debate on their effect on the game. I for one am a big supporter of what they are doing. 

However this endeavour is different. Toronto took the approach of working with existing structures. Euros haven't and it doesn't look like they have any intention of doing so either. I can't see how a breakaway competition can be supported no matter how good the idea seems on the surface 

Archived