Euro XIIIs

7 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

It's not currently sanctioned by the RLEF or by the RFL. It is effectively a breakaway competition. 

It’s not breaking away from anything. As far as I’m aware the RFL don’t have jurisdiction over Europe and the RLEF have failed to provide any sort of competition so far, they organise (a few small) international competitions not club competitions.

If the RLEF were doing anything of this nature already then I’d agree it’s a breakaway, but they aren’t. As people have pointed out (as a negative), many of the clubs don’t have any teams to play in their own countries so why would you deny them the right to participate in this competition, and why should they have to ask permission from an organisation that has so far done nothing for them? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s not breaking away from anything. As far as I’m aware the RFL don’t have jurisdiction over Europe and the RLEF have failed to provide any sort of competition so far, they organise (a few small) international competitions not club competitions.

If the RLEF were doing anything of this nature already then I’d agree it’s a breakaway, but they aren’t. As people have pointed out (as a negative), many of the clubs don’t have any teams to play in their own countries so why would you deny them the right to participate in this competition, and why should they have to ask permission from an organisation that has so far done nothing for them? 

World Rugby League all over again ? Didn't they have the same argument ?

8 minutes ago, del capo said:

World Rugby League all over again ? Didn't they have the same argument ?

Del Capo - what is your objection to people entering a competition which a, they’ll enjoy and b, they think will help them progress as a club? 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Del Capo - what is your objection to people entering a competition which a, they’ll enjoy and b, they think will help them progress as a club? 

Absolutely none at all . But you haven't answered the questions. 

Has the World Rugby League benefitted TGG ?

Far better to organise within the sport (we are little enough as it is ) than outside of it.  Non disclosure agreements  ? Come on …….

Just now, del capo said:

Absolutely none at all . But you haven't answered the questions. 

Has the World Rugby League benefitted TGG ?

Far better to organise within the sport (we are little enough as it is ) than outside of it.  Non disclosure agreements  ? Come on …….

I’m not talking about World Rugby League, it’s irrelevant. I agree it would be better to organise it within the sport, but that wasn’t happening so someone is trying to make it happen, what’s wrong with that?

Glad to hear you have no objections to the teams taking part though ?

7 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Currently the Euros competition is unsanctioned. The challenge Cup is an RFL tournament. The chance of any link up between the two competitions is close to zero I would say! 

Currently Toulouse commitment to any RFL tournament other than the league is zero. If the conversations aren't had it has no chance of happening anyway 

2 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

What the hell is that? Is it real? Looks like I've designed it? Is it a real sports body? Looks like it is just someone in their bedroom. 

World Rugby League 

9 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Is it sanctioned by the relevant organisations in cricket? 

The respective Cricket Boards from Russia, Netherlands, France, Italy, Denmark, Romania, Spain and Germany all have seats on the board of the European Cricket League.  All 8 of them are full ICC members as well.

Honestly, whilst the intention of the ECL and Euro XIII are very similar, the approach taken are very chalk and cheese.  When Daniel Watson launched his idea, he took it to European Cricket International (their equivalent of the RLEF), got their approval to take it to the respective Cricket Leagues (on the provision it didn't create a 'competing' product to their existing competitions, such as the European Cricket Championship or the proposed EuroT20 Slam) and then got Russia, Netherlands, France, Italy, Denmark, Romania, Spain and Germany to all become board members in the tournament. 

Whilst the ECL has since added teams from outside of that mix (ie. England, Scotland, Wales and Belgium were all planning on entering teams this year), it has made sure it has sought approval from each of the respective bodies along the way.

From a staffing perspective, it has been different as well.  Roger Feiner is the tournament's CEO, and well Roger was FIFA Director of Broadcast from 1999 - 2002, so naturally has many TV connections, plus on the board they also have Frank Leenders and Thomas Klooz.  These two currently (as their main job) head up media & marketing for FIBA, helped with the re-brand and re-positioning of the UEFA Champions League back in the 90's and also help promote Eurovision in select markets on the side.

Naturally these are three pretty well connected individuals, especially when it comes to trying to sort out a TV deal / broadcasting.  Unlike Dean, who unfortunately would be coming in at the ground level, these three would most likely have personal contact details for the decision makers at most of the major broadcasting companies across Europe, simply due to the profile of the sports they have worked with.

Next, the teams taking part are not new teams, they are all the respective champions for the various domestic leagues and finally the last key difference is, they actually play the tournament in 1 location over a week.    

Naturally a far simpler approach to an event.  From a logistical side, it is only a few grounds you need to sort out, from a marketing side, you only need to promote a few locations and you're promoting to the same market, and from a broadcast side, the TV truck doesn't need to move around, which instantly brings down the cost of broadcasting.  

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

This isn't a negative but if I entered this comp in a RFL sanctioned area which "Birmingham Jaguars" definitely are would you need to fill our the tour forms and get permission from the RFL? In Europe, club RL is sanctioned by the individual nations. But as a chairman of a club if I was like OK guys we are off to Madrid to play a pre-season friendly i know it would need sanctioning by the RFL but other than that there isn't the "UEFA" club structure of Rugby League that I can find. 

6 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

The respective Cricket Boards from Russia, Netherlands, France, Italy, Denmark, Romania, Spain and Germany all have seats on the board of the European Cricket League.  All 8 of them are full ICC members as well.

Honestly, whilst the intention of the ECL and Euro XIII are very similar, the approach taken are very chalk and cheese.  When Daniel Watson launched his idea, he took it to European Cricket International (their equivalent of the RLEF), got their approval to take it to the respective Cricket Leagues (on the provision it didn't create a 'competing' product to their existing competitions, such as the European Cricket Championship or the proposed EuroT20 Slam) and then got Russia, Netherlands, France, Italy, Denmark, Romania, Spain and Germany to all become board members in the tournament. 

Whilst the ECL has since added teams from outside of that mix (ie. England, Scotland, Wales and Belgium were all planning on entering teams this year), it has made sure it has sought approval from each of the respective bodies along the way.

From a staffing perspective, it has been different as well.  Roger Feiner is the tournament's CEO, and well Roger was FIFA Director of Broadcast from 1999 - 2002, so naturally has many TV connections, plus on the board they also have Frank Leenders and Thomas Klooz.  These two currently (as their main job) head up media & marketing for FIBA, helped with the re-brand and re-positioning of the UEFA Champions League back in the 90's and also help promote Eurovision in select markets on the side.

Naturally these are three pretty well connected individuals, especially when it comes to trying to sort out a TV deal / broadcasting.  Unlike Dean, who unfortunately would be coming in at the ground level, these three would most likely have personal contact details for the decision makers at most of the major broadcasting companies across Europe, simply due to the profile of the sports they have worked with.

Next, the teams taking part are not new teams, they are all the respective champions for the various domestic leagues and finally the last key difference is, they actually play the tournament in 1 location over a week.    

Naturally a far simpler approach to an event.  From a logistical side, it is only a few grounds you need to sort out, from a marketing side, you only need to promote a few locations and you're promoting to the same market, and from a broadcast side, the TV truck doesn't need to move around, which instantly brings down the cost of broadcasting.  

Really interesting thanks. In providing this great explanation you've also set out exactly why I have concerns about the approach being taken by Euros X111 

18 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Really interesting thanks. In providing this great explanation you've also set out exactly why I have concerns about the approach being taken by Euros X111 

Go and have a lie down. 

Mr C. You are perfectly right. I'm just pulling your leg. I hope we can still be friends?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Leoni Veniti (or Venetian Lions?)

FIRL guy at the ends, who I assume is Buchan's compadre in this venture, mentions the potential of a second italian side in this in 2022.

Venice away, that’s one RL trip that your bird would want to join you on. 

8 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

This critically shows how you can work with national and regional governing bodies to create a solid amateur competition that is aspirational to play in as you qualify, provides opportunities across a number of weaker nations, and not try and reinvent the wheel whilst you're at it. 

I bet it was easier for them to work with the existing structures.

Well I am really interested to see how this goes.... I am Mainly RU fan with NO ILL feeling to RL. In fact I think RL has some awesome skill sets. But I think the Italian team will be a failure ,and will be interested if I am proved wrong.

RL in Italy died out in the 60's. In the English wiki they blame RU.... what a surprise but in the Italian version not. it is obviously written by a bitter guy with a grudge. Sorry Italy was not like France in the 30's it just died. The reality is Italians like all Latins like flair but they also LOVE scrimmaging rucking and mauling. And the like watching the forward play. So RL begins at a disadvantage. RU also doesn't have big crowds to begin with. So to turn the tide they will need to win and win big, or it will die a death as it did before.

Also as an Italian fan I have big issues with RL and the sham  and corruption  they deal with the "developing" sides but with a special eye towards Italy and the med.

Here is my point. Not a single player in the Italian team is actually Italian why? Because the Italian team, as the Lebanese and Greek and Serbian, as just private clubs for Sydney Italian stallions. If they don't make the Kangaroos side they get picked for Italy for the World cup. In fact this scandal boiled over and now there are 2 Rugby league federations in Italy, one for real Italians and one for the Sydney club The World RL federation only recognises the one in controlled in Sydney. And Now James Tedesco will be poached by the Aussie side because he is good enough. Another RL shame of being able to jump national sides. The Lebanese RL wiki page doesn't even hide this scandal. The perfectly admit actual Lebanese players don't get the the World Cup

Now what would happen if real Italians played in the Italian side? The would get hurt , and the games would be totally  joke. But then why do you pretend?

You can extend this to Irish ans Scottish teams.

My point is sectarianism aside and need to compete or "fight" the enemy RU aside, how much bang for your buck are you actually going to get?

Oxford RL didn't work out and that was in England!

This thing is going to cost money lots of money

If I am proved wrong I will eat my hat. But this will cost RL a lot. They should be trying to sustain the grass root clubs in northern England, where you know you have groundswell of support.

Archived