Euro XIIIs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Oldprussians said:

Well I am really interested to see how this goes.... I am Mainly RU fan with NO ILL feeling to RL. In fact I think RL has some awesome skill sets. But I think the Italian team will be a failure ,and will be interested if I am proved wrong.

RL in Italy died out in the 60's. In the English wiki they blame RU.... what a surprise but in the Italian version not. it is obviously written by a bitter guy with a grudge. Sorry Italy was not like France in the 30's it just died. The reality is Italians like all Latins like flair but they also LOVE scrimmaging rucking and mauling. And the like watching the forward play. So RL begins at a disadvantage. RU also doesn't have big crowds to begin with. So to turn the tide they will need to win and win big, or it will die a death as it did before.

The Italian Government refused to recognise Rugby League as a sport in Italy (similar issues still occur today) which meant there were issues in securing venues and insurance for players and teams. They were also prevented from using the word 'rugby' by the Italian RFU (hence they were called Federazione Amatori Italiani – Gioco di XIII)

Whilst you might think that the Italian RFU didn't make any threats to players, former dual internationals like Vincenzo Bertolotto and Alberto Comin have spoken publicly about being told if they continued to play Rugby League, they would no longer be permitted to play Rugby Union as it was a 'professional game' (ironic as Amatori stands for Amateur).  There is also documented evidence of this happening in other countries, including England, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Germany, Wales and Australia, so it isn't a long stretch to think that perhaps it could have happened elsewhere.

Maybe Italians do like Union more than League, maybe League will never successfully establish a foothold in the country, but back in the 60's it certainly wasn't playing on a level playing field.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

11 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

The Italian Government refused to recognise Rugby League as a sport in Italy (similar issues still occur today) which meant there were issues in securing venues and insurance for players and teams. They were also prevented from using the word 'rugby' by the Italian RFU (hence they were called Federazione Amatori Italiani – Gioco di XIII)

Whilst you might think that the Italian RFU didn't make any threats to players, former dual internationals like Vincenzo Bertolotto and Alberto Comin have spoken publicly about being told if they continued to play Rugby League, they would no longer be permitted to play Rugby Union as it was a 'professional game' (ironic as Amatori stands for Amateur).  There is also documented evidence of this happening in other countries, including England, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Germany, Wales and Australia, so it isn't a long stretch to think that perhaps it could have happened elsewhere.

Maybe Italians do like Union more than League, maybe League will never successfully establish a foothold in the country, but back in the 60's it certainly wasn't playing on a level playing field.

Actually you are wrong. the CONI was funding RL in Italy. The reason for the internal split was precisely because The RL man working for the CONI could not look at an Italian player in the eye and tell him to work hard and he could get to the world cup. because the CONI was just funding Aussie rejects.

I would have plan of merging RL and RU, not to merge the games as such, so no compromise in games. And BTW if we are talking about a war between the codes, RL actually won! If you look at RU in 1995 when it became pro the Influence of RL on RU is massive. RU is actually almost RL in RU context... but that is another discussion. Back to the plan
You would have a one umbrella org in each country, (not the competition), and have 3 silos of 15s, 13s and 7s.
So e.g. RL 13's  would just continue as they are doing but would be available to be selected for the 7s team. this would mean RL players would get a chance play in the Olympics, which now they don't. Players would be eligible to play for the different national sides without difficulty. Also  it would make the games more economically sustainable. Now In Aus RL is stronger but in others RU is.  Ultimately this might also get rid of this silly sectarianism and mud slinging.

9 minutes ago, Oldprussians said:

Actually you are wrong. the CONI was funding RL in Italy. The reason for the internal split was precisely because The RL man working for the CONI could not look at an Italian player in the eye and tell him to work hard and he could get to the world cup. because the CONI was just funding Aussie rejects.

I would have plan of merging RL and RU, not to merge the games as such, so no compromise in games. And BTW if we are talking about a war between the codes, RL actually won! If you look at RU in 1995 when it became pro the Influence of RL on RU is massive. RU is actually almost RL in RU context... but that is another discussion. Back to the plan
You would have a one umbrella org in each country, (not the competition), and have 3 silos of 15s, 13s and 7s.
So e.g. RL 13's  would just continue as they are doing but would be available to be selected for the 7s team. this would mean RL players would get a chance play in the Olympics, which now they don't. Players would be eligible to play for the different national sides without difficulty. Also  it would make the games more economically sustainable. Now In Aus RL is stronger but in others RU is.  Ultimately this might also get rid of this silly sectarianism and mud slinging.

Its World Rugby League guys!!!

1 minute ago, Oldprussians said:

Firstly, I was talking about Rugby League in the 1960s in Italy, not more recently, because that was the era you were speculating on.

In the 60s, the Italian team in League we're all (or at least over 90%) Italian born and bred players. There was definitely no Australians.

There was also definitely no Government funding or recognition back then.

As for more recently, there is nothing in the CONI reports for 16 / 17 / 18 or 19 which says any funding has been given to RL, yet they seem to list out the other sports... 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

1 minute ago, Yakstorm said:

Firstly, I was talking about Rugby League in the 1960s in Italy, not more recently, because that was the era you were speculating on.

In the 60s, the Italian team in League we're all (or at least over 90%) Italian born and bred players. There was definitely no Australians.

There was also definitely no Government funding or recognition back then.

As for more recently, there is nothing in the CONI reports for 16 / 17 / 18 or 19 which says any funding has been given to RL, yet they seem to list out the other sports... 

I think the split happened in 2015.. but that was the reason

If this is going to go ahead regardless of RLEF then I think a compromise should be found to work together and incorporate into RLEF structures.

Giving clubs a higher and more prestigious level of competition could be a big marketing tool to help with the development of RL in Europe.

This EuroXIIIs structure is the start and will probably need tweaking and adjusting to find the most suitable structure for this level of competition. 

The biggest focus of the RLEF should be to strengthen and expand the domestic leagues and increase participation in individual nations. Any additional income and raising of the profile of RL should be used to help achieve this

On 01/07/2020 at 15:47, Oldprussians said:

Well I am really interested to see how this goes.... I am Mainly RU fan with NO ILL feeling to RL. In fact I think RL has some awesome skill sets. But I think the Italian team will be a failure ,and will be interested if I am proved wrong.

RL in Italy died out in the 60's. In the English wiki they blame RU.... what a surprise but in the Italian version not. it is obviously written by a bitter guy with a grudge. Sorry Italy was not like France in the 30's it just died. The reality is Italians like all Latins like flair but they also LOVE scrimmaging rucking and mauling. And the like watching the forward play. So RL begins at a disadvantage. RU also doesn't have big crowds to begin with. So to turn the tide they will need to win and win big, or it will die a death as it did before.

Also as an Italian fan I have big issues with RL and the sham  and corruption  they deal with the "developing" sides but with a special eye towards Italy and the med.

Here is my point. Not a single player in the Italian team is actually Italian why? Because the Italian team, as the Lebanese and Greek and Serbian, as just private clubs for Sydney Italian stallions. If they don't make the Kangaroos side they get picked for Italy for the World cup. In fact this scandal boiled over and now there are 2 Rugby league federations in Italy, one for real Italians and one for the Sydney club The World RL federation only recognises the one in controlled in Sydney. And Now James Tedesco will be poached by the Aussie side because he is good enough. Another RL shame of being able to jump national sides. The Lebanese RL wiki page doesn't even hide this scandal. The perfectly admit actual Lebanese players don't get the the World Cup

Now what would happen if real Italians played in the Italian side? The would get hurt , and the games would be totally  joke. But then why do you pretend?

You can extend this to Irish ans Scottish teams.

My point is sectarianism aside and need to compete or "fight" the enemy RU aside, how much bang for your buck are you actually going to get?

Oxford RL didn't work out and that was in England!

This thing is going to cost money lots of money

If I am proved wrong I will eat my hat. But this will cost RL a lot. They should be trying to sustain the grass root clubs in northern England, where you know you have groundswell of support.

Welcome to the new union troll. Hopefully a short stay.

6 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I thought Greece was boycotting the whole thing? Surely this will cause a few disagreements. 

They did come out with a statement distancing themselves from it and Rhodes Knights are in the Greek league system so be will be interesting

On 01/07/2020 at 15:47, Oldprussians said:

Also as an Italian fan I have big issues with RL and the sham  and corruption  they deal with the "developing" sides but with a special eye towards Italy and the med.

Here is my point. Not a single player in the Italian team is actually Italian why? Because the Italian team, as the Lebanese and Greek and Serbian, as just private clubs for Sydney Italian stallions. If they don't make the Kangaroos side they get picked for Italy for the World cup. In fact this scandal boiled over and now there are 2 Rugby league federations in Italy, one for real Italians and one for the Sydney club The World RL federation only recognises the one in controlled in Sydney. And Now James Tedesco will be poached by the Aussie side because he is good enough. Another RL shame of being able to jump national sides. The Lebanese RL wiki page doesn't even hide this scandal. The perfectly admit actual Lebanese players don't get the the World Cup

Now what would happen if real Italians played in the Italian side? The would get hurt , and the games would be totally  joke. But then why do you pretend?

You can extend this to Irish ans Scottish teams.

My point is sectarianism aside and need to compete or "fight" the enemy RU aside, how much bang for your buck are you actually going to get?

Oxford RL didn't work out and that was in England!

This thing is going to cost money lots of money

If I am proved wrong I will eat my hat. But this will cost RL a lot. They should be trying to sustain the grass root clubs in northern England, where you know you have groundswell of support.

Counting down 5...4...3...

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

27 minutes ago, RoverBear said:

Is it just my eyes or has Birmingham moved a lot closer to Hull than it used to be?

Follow the pin down, don't just look at the pinhead...

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Anyone know anything about Stavanger?

Their football team Viking were half decent back in the 70's when I was growing up, but that's probably not what you meant...

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Anyone know anything about Stavanger?

It's got an airport..........with direct flights to just 2 of the other teams, don't know how that's gonna be any use when the Cup + League kicks off, season after next. 

Archived