Euro XIIIs

11 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

It's got an airport..........with direct flights to just 2 of the other teams, don't know how that's gonna be any use when the Cup + League kicks off, season after next. 

The proposal for 2022 is a 32 team cup competition and an 8 team league.

There is no indication yet of whom will be in the 8 team league - probably only the Italians and Spanish are pencilled in at this point.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

The proposal for 2022 is a 32 team cup competition and an 8 team league.

There is no indication yet of whom will be in the 8 team league - probably only the Italians and Spanish are pencilled in at this point.

Why probably only Spanish and Italian teams?

49 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The guys who are running EuroXIIIs are behind the Spanish and Italian teams

I know, but that doesn’t mean it will just be teams from those two countries, they’ve already got teams from 14 other countries in the inaugural cup. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know, but that doesn’t mean it will just be teams from those two countries, they’ve already got teams from 14 other countries in the inaugural cup. 

Of course, but the point was that Valencia and Veneti (or other clubs from those countries) will be the ones currently pencilled in. The FIRL guy who was on the Veneti announcement said they wanted "another Italian team in next year" iirc so there's the potential for more. 

So of the 8, two will be already Italian and Spanish leaving 6 free spots.

3 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Referees panel now announced

Paul Stockman  Match Officials Educator

Tony Palacios   Head Of Match Officials

Phil Johnson   Head Of Disciplinary Panel 

And they are?

Paul Stockman is or was a match official in the Yorkshire men's league and also has done development work for the RLEF.

Tony Palacios is the president of the Spanish Rugby League.

No idea about Phil Johnson.

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rebel-rugby-league-spreads-across-europe-or-does-it/

This article has some interesting interviews in it and some perspective on some of the clubs

Interesting article.  A little surprising some of the quotes and information in the article contradicts what we've been told in this thread, such as the 'everything is funded by the organisers' claim.

Such as this quote from Rotterdam “Funding is a problem that presents itself to most developing rugby league nations and the Netherlands are no different. We’ve been given eight months to get things sorted, and we’ve started by telling all our players that they’ll be expected to self-fund themselves.”

Anyway, nice to see a sponsor announced and some structure around Match Officials.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

7 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Paul Stockman is or was a match official in the Yorkshire men's league and also has done development work for the RLEF.

Tony Palacios is the president of the Spanish Rugby League.

No idea about Phil Johnson.

Phil Johnson is a fairly common name.

The only Phil  Johnson I would immediately recognise  is the Barla  Lancashire County Chairman and Barla  Board member ( if it is him and he still belongs to Barla )

2 hours ago, del capo said:

And there is another Phil Johnson , a police officer and Director of Rugby down at Devon Sharks ARLFC.  Don't know if he is a referee though.....

Yes that is the Phil Johnson who is involved, I heard he has caused some unrest in the south west previously especially with cornish rebels 

There’s an interview with the Euro XIIIs organisers on this week’s edition of the (new) Rugby League Europe Podcast in case anyone is interested.

I haven’t listened to any of them yet as I’ve only just found it, but the previous three episodes look interesting as well (including RL in Poland, Serbia, Norway and Edinburgh). 

https://anchor.fm/rugbyleagueeuropepodcast

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

There’s an interview with the Euro XIIIs organisers on this week’s edition of the (new) Rugby League Europe Podcast in case anyone is interested.

I haven’t listened to any of them yet as I’ve only just found it, but the previous three episodes look interesting as well (including RL in Poland, Serbia, Norway and Edinburgh). 

https://anchor.fm/rugbyleagueeuropepodcast

It's not a bad podcast but it's far from impartial (even though they claim to be). 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

It's not a bad podcast but it's far from impartial (even though they claim to be). 

Where did you sense the bias. I thought the hosts were very sceptical bordering on scathing, prior to Dean Buchan's contribution but by the end of it, he had persuaded them of the validity of his ideas. They had become well-wishers. 

48 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Where did you sense the bias. I thought the hosts were very sceptical bordering on scathing, prior to Dean Buchan's contribution but by the end of it, he had persuaded them of the validity of his ideas. They had become well-wishers. 

I agree.  At the outset the main presenter outlined key dates associated with the progress of Euro XIII’s especially acknowledging the comments from Alan Robinson (Coventry Bears) in relation to the Birmingham Bulldogs submission and acceptance.

IMHO Dean Buchan provided responses in a measured manner and provided a pragmatic approach to the development and implementation of the project so far.  Carlo Napolitano former Head Coach of Italy appeared enthused by the approach and commented that it does not matter if the RLEF or a group of 3 people are behind the project, the key point is that people support the idea.

For me the key phrase came from Dean Buchan after he was asked about the people that question the viability of the project, Buchan replied that we would know in about 8 months time.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

One of the presenters has just taken a role with Spanish RL which Buchan is involved in. The other has associations with Italy RL who are also involved in the Euro XIII. I wouldnt call them impartial observers even if that's how they choose to portray it. 

22 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

One of the presenters has just taken a role with Spanish RL which Buchan is involved in. The other has associations with Italy RL who are also involved in the Euro XIII. I wouldnt call them impartial observers even if that's how they choose to portray it. 

Fair enough

Archived