Euro XIIIs

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Doubt it. English teams have entered and played games/tournaments abroad such as the Rotterdam 9s and Fev playing in Valencia. 

This hasn't been sanctioned by the RLEF and this is the logical outcome. 

They're not saying clubs cannot play, just that their insurance is not liable.

They can get their own insurance though. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think this is a good idea myself. Fact its been mentioned the this idea of a competition has been talked about for a while. Whats annoyed the RFL is that like many things get talked about and dont happen. 

The guys behind it have thought we are sick and tired of waiting, have shown some incentive and got it started.

Just my worry is shot term the covid outbreak could hinder it and is the worst time to start. Unfortunate timing.

34 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not really. Insurance providers will state that any games need to be sanctioned by an official governing body. This is where the issue will be be

Normally, would be able to get private insurance but with the COVID, I would be amazed if an insurer took it on at risk.  Pro clubs are following RFL rules on it but amateurs won’t be.  I think it’ll be on stop for now.

Im sure we’ll read about any progress in the tabloids.😎

Similar to the Welsh team it would seem the English representative won't be able to play at home in this tournament. The lack of RFL sanction will no doubt have other implications as well. 

I wonder if longer term entering this tournament might damage teams chances of joining for example league 1. I'm not sure going forward the RFL will want to deal with Los Hurancanes who are behind a breakaway competition. I'm sure English clubs entering an unsanctioned competition won't be looked at favourably either. 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Similar to the Welsh team it would seem the English representative won't be able to play at home in this tournament. The lack of RFL sanction will no doubt have other implications as well. 

I wonder if longer term entering this tournament might damage teams chances of joining for example league 1. I'm not sure going forward the RFL will want to deal with Los Hurancanes who are behind a breakaway competition. I'm sure English clubs entering an unsanctioned competition won't be looked at favourably either. 

i'm sorry Mr C but i haven't seen a report of the RFL's statement. Can you tell me where I can read it, or tell me what it said? I'm particularly interested in why the Welsh team (or the English club) can't play their games at home? 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

They can get their own insurance though. 

I'm sure they could and will but then again the insurance people will surely ask why its not been sanctioned and insured by the NGB/RGB? 

Unless its all being covered by the Italian and Spanish RLs that are leading this?

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm sure they could and will but then again the insurance people will surely ask why its not been sanctioned and insured by the NGB/RGB? 

Unless its all being covered by the Italian and Spanish RLs that are leading this?

Why can't the British teams play at home Tom?

22 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Why can't the British teams play at home Tom?

I don't believe there's anyone saying they can't. But they will need to be covered by something other than the RFL/WRL/SRL/RLI's insurances to cover them doing so.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

i'm sorry Mr C but i haven't seen a report of the RFL's statement. Can you tell me where I can read it, or tell me what it said? I'm particularly interested in why the Welsh team (or the English club) can't play their games at home? 

Steve Mascord shared a link with a statement from Gareth Kear

https://rugbyleaguehub.com/2020/08/06/leagues/irl/welsh-euro-xiiis-side-will-play-no-home-games-says-wrl-boss/

I am assuming it will be the same for Worcester in that the RFL won't permit an unsanctioned competition in their territory. This is an assumption and I could be wrong but I can't see how the RFL would be happy if a match went ahead. Not sure of the situation with an RFL team playing abroad because you are supposed to notify the RFL and fill in relevant forms etc. 

30 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

https://rugbyleaguehub.com/2020/08/06/leagues/irl/welsh-euro-xiiis-side-will-play-no-home-games-says-wrl-boss/

I am assuming it will be the same for Worcester in that the RFL won't permit an unsanctioned competition in their territory. This is an assumption and I could be wrong but I can't see how the RFL would be happy if a match went ahead. Not sure of the situation with an RFL team playing abroad because you are supposed to notify the RFL and fill in relevant forms etc. 

I suppose its a bit mute but stuff like accredited referees are all part of this sanctioning. I'd suppose you'd normally have to go through some official process to get a St John's ambulance there for example too? 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose its a bit mute but stuff like accredited referees are all part of this sanctioning. I'd suppose you'd normally have to go through some official process to get a St John's ambulance there for example too? 

Yes and all the other match day rules. There will be match day operational procedures and medical procedures etc to follow. 

9 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

If you’re affiliated to the RFL you have to seek permission for tours etc. I expect this is no different 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

If you’re affiliated to the RFL you have to seek permission for tours etc. I expect this is no different 

Precisely why the artificial entity of birmingham jaguars was set up. To avoid RFL rules altogether, while Worcester Jaguars (same blokes) can carry on playing in England without consequence.

59 minutes ago, langpark said:

Precisely why the artificial entity of birmingham jaguars was set up. To avoid RFL rules altogether, while Worcester Jaguars (same blokes) can carry on playing in England without consequence.

Then Birmingham Jaguars aren’t a Rugby League team

11 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

It seems to me that Gareth Kear is saying that the games will not be in Wales so he doesn't have to even consider whether permission is required. His tone seemed to be one of understanding the clubs desire to take part and wishing them well.

He's adopting the position of an interested bystander. That's very different from the authoritarian ''thou shalt not'' attitude which some of our posters seem to espouse.

I have to say (as I've said before) that that attitude is utterly anti-development/expansion and taken to its logical conclusion will act as a severe brake on worldwide development.

Its akin to the lunatic fringe that seized control of the game, with authoritarian government backing in Greece and took so long to overthrow.

Ironically, if we begin and continue, going round telling people they can't play the game without permission we are driving them into the arms of World Rugby League.

8 hours ago, fighting irish said:

It seems to me that Gareth Kear is saying that the games will not be in Wales so he doesn't have to even consider whether permission is required. His tone seemed to be one of understanding the clubs desire to take part and wishing them well.

He's adopting the position of an interested bystander. That's very different from the authoritarian ''thou shalt not'' attitude which some of our posters seem to espouse.

I have to say (as I've said before) that that attitude is utterly anti-development/expansion and taken to its logical conclusion will act as a severe brake on worldwide development.

Its akin to the lunatic fringe that seized control of the game, with authoritarian government backing in Greece and took so long to overthrow.

Ironically, if we begin and continue, going round telling people they can't play the game without permission we are driving them into the arms of World Rugby League.

Is World Rugby League still a thing? I swear those guys were paid by some in rugby union to wreck RL international development.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose its quite an existential point about the definition of Rugby League. 

Not really. You’re not playing rugby league if the game’s not sanctioned by a rugby league body. In the same way, if I have a kick about in the park it’s not officially football unless the Sussex FA say it is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 08/08/2020 at 19:49, OriginalMrC said:

To be fair Dublin Blues and Valencia were considering entering League 1 in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they have been told already that its not happening which is why the blokes behind Valencia created this tournament 

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Is World Rugby League still a thing? I swear those guys were paid by some in rugby union to wreck RL international development.

I'm sure they are sponsored by the dark side. Last time i looked they were still operating and one of the South American nations had aligned with them. They have the potential to be a thorn in our flesh. I'm keen that we don't make them seem attractive by being too obstructive and authoritarian with start ups. 

On 09/08/2020 at 18:10, fighting irish said:

I agree FI.

Although I can understand the RFL taking the position they have I feel that there would be a better outcome if the RFL gave their approval and tested the new competition.  If the new competition didn’t deliver then the RFL can say that they were open to the idea and supported teams under their jurisdiction taking place.

However, if the competition is deemed a success in 2021 then the two bodies might be able to work together and drive the game forward in conjunction with the RLEF.

7 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I agree FI.

Although I can understand the RFL taking the position they have I feel that there would be a better outcome if the RFL gave their approval and tested the new competition.  If the new competition didn’t deliver then the RFL can say that they were open to the idea and supported teams under their jurisdiction taking place.

However, if the competition is deemed a success in 2021 then the two bodies might be able to work together and drive the game forward in conjunction with the RLEF.

Lets assume we are concerned that they are not professional enough to adequately organise the tournament, or each match, or provide enough medical cover, or sufficient insurance cover for each player, teams in transit, or whatever.

We could conclude that these blokes are just amateurs taking unacceptable risks so we should ''ban'' them from doing this which is a very heavy handed approach. Or we could wash our hands of it and leave them alone (perhaps to flounder).

Its clear, we haven't got the resources to go and help everyone who might start up anywhere in the world, but its naive (and undesirable) to expect pioneers to suspend or delay their ambitions just because we can't help them. If they did, it would put a brake on the pace of world-wide development.

I think it's a huge mistake to try and stop them from taking the initiative with threats and sanctions.

Much better, if we could (and if the resources exist) send them exemplary information to show them 'what good looks like''.

There-by we set a good example to them (which might avert a disaster) and make them aware of the resources they can call upon if and when they are affiliated to the RLEF.

12 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I think it's a huge mistake to try and stop them from taking the initiative with threats and sanctions.

Please, can we end this myth about "threats" and "sanctions" from the big bad establishment??

Beyond this forum, I have not seen any evidence of any governing body in Europe threatening their teams (I stand to be corrected). What you are doing by constantly repeating this myth is borderline propaganda. 

Opting not to endorse something is far from a "threat".

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

Please, can we end this myth about "threats" and "sanctions" from the big bad establishment??

Beyond this forum, I have not seen any evidence of any governing body in Europe threatening their teams (I stand to be corrected). What you are doing by constantly repeating this myth is borderline propaganda. 

Opting not to endorse something is far from a "threat".

I agree with you mate. I am responding to comments made by posters on this forum. I've not heard of the RLEF threatening anyone either. There are many on here though, calling it a breakaway which should be severely dealt with and at the very least, not lent support. Its that attitude I take exception to. 

Archived