Euro XIIIs

There’s a very interesting interview on both the Chasing Kangaroos and Rugby League in America podcasts this week, with the CEO of Valencia Hurricanes and the CO of the Italian RL about setting up a European tournament. Cup to start in 2021 and league in 2022, with a draft system to help weaker teams out. Sounds promising, it will be great if it happens. 

It’s worth actually listening to it before you wade in and criticise them though Luddites. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

How is a draft system even going to work?

Allegedly, 25 clubs from 16 countries have enquired. 

They explained how the draft system will work, and also they said 20 clubs from 14 countries. You should listen to it Oliver. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They explained how the draft system will work, and also they said 20 clubs from 14 countries. You should listen to it Oliver. 

I’m sure whoever Oliver is, he’ll love it. 

Aaron Bower has quoted the 25 teams from 16 nations figure on TotalRL. 

The draft system is a really interesting concept and IMHO could work.

As I understand it from the Podcast, the 2021 season will consist of 8 teams before expanding to a greater number for the 2022 season.

For the 2021 season there will 36 draftees and to try to bring greater evenness between the quality of the teams the 4 so called weaker teams will have 5 draftees and the 4 stronger graded teams will have 4 draftees each.  The draftees will come from anywhere in the world.  You could have amateurs/semi pro players from the European nations involved plus from Tier 1 to Tier 3 nations and those with observer status relishing the opportunity to live in another country and play the game they love.

My concern is that the people behind this have no link to the RLEF Board and although they would welcome the RLEF to be part of this it would be typical of RL if there was disagreement and rivalry.

P.S I wish I was 21 again I would jump at the chance to put my name forward for consideration.

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

The draft system is a really interesting concept and IMHO could work.

As I understand it from the Podcast, the 2021 season will consist of 8 teams before expanding to a greater number for the 2022 season.

For the 2021 season there will 36 draftees and to try to bring greater evenness between the quality of the teams the 4 so called weaker teams will have 5 draftees and the 4 stronger graded teams will have 4 draftees each.  The draftees will come from anywhere in the world.  You could have amateurs/semi pro players from the European nations involved plus from Tier 1 to Tier 3 nations and those with observer status relishing the opportunity to live in another country and play the game they love.

My concern is that the people behind this have no link to the RLEF Board and although they would welcome the RLEF to be part of this it would be typical of RL if there was disagreement and rivalry.

P.S I wish I was 21 again I would jump at the chance to put my name forward for consideration.

What would the RLEF have to do with a club competition?

new rise.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

What would the RLEF have to do with a club competition?

Same way UEFA run the Champions League and the European Cup, it takes place under their auspices with referees for example.

Hmmmm!

Let's see where this goes. We've heard of similar grandiose plans many, many times, but at the moment I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

I guess it all hangs on TV coverage, get that and sponsorship could follow. 

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Exciting idea.

Sorry I’m too lazy to listen to the podcast but my concern would be costs and how they expect to be able to run such a competition with what I assume would be extensive travel between European countries ?

Costs are for the organisers and owners to worry about, not fans. 

58 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Hmmmm!

Let's see where this goes. We've heard of similar grandiose plans many, many times, but at the moment I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

I guess it all hangs on TV coverage, get that and sponsorship could follow. 

This is obviously going to be a local amateur level standard. Not too sure that TV are going to be interested in it.

It sounds like a great grassroots initiative and deserves some support if it is as described but it is not likely to be anything other than that unless it lasts for 20 or 30 years. Let it run and see where it goes.

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Where’s the money coming from for all of this? It’s a great idea in principle but unless there’s serious funding, I’m not sure how feasible it actually is. 

There will obviously be funding, these are successful business people not idiots. 

24 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Who knows? The NCL got on Freesports. 

They make much money out of that?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

So having listened to the podcast...

Two cities that were name dropped:

Verona (Italy)

Valencia (Spain)

I did wonder if that meant the Hurricanes were turning their attentions to this rather than L1, he didn’t mention that. Also I didn’t understand why they’d limit it to one club per country. Other than that it was a great listen and really encouraging. 

Archived